You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

This Weekend Remember

edited November 2009 in Poker Chat

The Poppy Appeal  

Each year the nation expresses its unequivocal support for The Royal British Legion's charity work through the Poppy Appeal. The 2009 Poppy Appeal is emphasising the need to help the Afghan generation of the Armed Forces and their families – today and for the rest of their lives.

For their sake, wear a poppy - and please help the fundraising by making a donation or volunteering your time.

Comments

• edited November 2009
    Well said Benny
  • edited November 2009

Seconded.

Proper bloke you, Benny.

Respect.
  • edited November 2009
    Totally agree just turn up near your local cenotaph/memorial and your support is appreciated,you don't have to go into church just acknowledge the ceremony/silence if you cant face going in. Good post benny. 
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: This Weekend Remember:
    Totally agree just turn up near your local cenotaph/memorial and your support is appreciated,you don't have to go into church just acknowledge the ceremony/silence if you cant face going in. Good post benny. 
    Posted by Any2Suited
    Terrific Post.

We must never underestimate the debt we owe to our Servicemen & Women. Life for us would be very different were it not for their sacrifices.

15 or 20 minutes on Sunday morning is all it takes.
  • edited November 2009
    I personally, always stop for the 2 mins whatever i am doing and get the kids to stop what they're doing too! i am only a youngster in comparison really and only know what i know because of history at school etc and what i have found out from relatives. But i am eternally grateful to theses brave people that fought so hard so i and millions of others could enjoy the freedom we all enjoy everyday and take for granted!! 

Absolutely spot on benny! Where i live it is a bit of big deal, as manston airport was quite prominent during ww2 as it has the largest runway in the uk for the lancaster bombers to use during war effort and dover only being 20 mins away where churchill plotted the downfall etc.

These are people that not only command, but truly deserve our respect!! 
  • edited November 2009
    n1 benny , i got my poppy on. xx
  • edited November 2009
    Well done Benny. I spent 4 months in Iraq in 2004 and compared to Afghanistan it was a holiday camp. We often criticize the youth of today but the average age of our troops in Afghan are between 19-20. They have my total respect,as do the all the servicemen form the 1st and 2nd World War, Falkland's  etc.

Shame i don't have the same respect for the British Government.
  • edited November 2009
  • edited November 2009
      "Faith"  "Hope"  and  "Charity"    

To read the entire history of the three aircraft is in itself legendary - from the first pleas of the Royal Air Force Station Commander at Hal Far Fighter Flight, to a colleague in the Royal Navy for permission to borrow five Sea Gladiators from the Royal Navy storage depot at Kalafrana, the collection of five of these aircraft in crates, the volunteers who helped to assemble the aircraft, and finally the volunteer pilots who quickly went into training to fly the aircraft -some for the first time too, as they had been trained upon other types of aircraft earlier in the United Kingdom.
    Talking to people in Malta who remembered those dark days of 1941 when the Church of St Publius received a direct hit that destroyed a large part of the building, and how they remembered the valiant efforts of the three aircraft and their pilots in trying to defend the island.
    The people of Malta still kept their faith in the church and its teachings.   As one elderly lady  said:
    'It was as if an Angel tried to help us, every day we prayed, 
    and every day there was hope.'
    The three aircraft shown in close formation flying over the bombed remains of St. Publius can be identified by the fuselage markings as 'Faith' N5520, 'Hope' N5531, and 'Charity' N5519. The Gloster Gladiators were powered by the 850 h.p. Bristol Mercury IX air cooled radial engine, carried four Browning Machine Guns, two mounted in troughs just forward of the cockpit at each side of the aircraft, and two mounted beneath the lower wing, contained in streamlined pods. The top speed of the aircraft in level flight was about 250 m.p.h., and on a full tank of fuel could stay in the air for some two hours, or approximately 420 miles.
    With a wingspan of 32' 3", Length of 27' 5", Wing area of 323 sq, feet, and a weight (fully loaded) of just 4,750 Ibs. it made the aircraft quite maneuverable, a factor that made it a formidable fighter aircraft against the faster Italian fighter and bomber aircraft. That, together with the remarkable and daring skills displayed by the young pilots who flew the Gloster Gladiators, made them the legend they were to become.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: This Weekend Remember:
    Well done Benny. I spent 4 months in Iraq in 2004 and compared to Afghanistan it was a holiday camp. We often criticize the youth of today but the average age of our troops in Afghan are between 19-20. They have my total respect,as do the all the servicemen form the 1st and 2nd World War, Falkland's  etc. Shame i don't have the same respect for the British Government.
    Posted by tallboy
    Well said Benny and Tallboy. My thoughts are also with those who are left with shattered lives having lost what was to them, an irreplaceable loved one who died whilst serving their country.
  • edited November 2009
    nice  one  benny   well  said
  • edited November 2009
    great post, respect.
  • edited November 2009
    Good post Benny. A good friend of mine is at home on leave from afghan at the moment. You might think that he's just having a well earned rest before he goes back, but not a bit of it. He's busy organising a journey to wotton bassett to pay his respects to the servicemen that have given their lives to protect others. These people deserve utmost respect and i think we all owe them a debt of gratitude. I do still rib him about being in the stationary corp though. (very sharp some of those pencils). lol. Lets all do our bit to big it up for our boys. Good luck to you all.    Mike
  • edited November 2009
    got my poppy today.
  • edited November 2009

R A F sim  Remembrance Fly Past ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfzyb8eVgfE

To everyone who posted in this thread   " Thank You "
  • edited November 2009
    Well said Benny.
    I had two tours of duty in N.I. during the seventies and lost one of my best mates there.
    We always respect the two minute silence, even when I am driving, I pull over to the side of the road just the honoured those brave servicemen and women who have fought for this great country of ours.
  • edited November 2009
    Total respect for all. Wearing my poppy with pride