You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Pub League Poker

edited February 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Can anyone share any tips on how to make the most from the Pub League poker?

I started playing weekly for a pub in Poole and am realising just how conservatively I play live. I need to loosen up a bit and probably become more of a calling station, because there is a lot of bluffing going on.

I have been multi-tabling for such a long time that my hand selection is very nitty. I could see hundreds/thousands of hands in a session, whereas in a live sit n go its less than 100.

I guess I give players too much credit, but to be honest a lot of the players dont really have much understanding of outs, position, hand selection, equity etc..

Are there any obvious areas to focus on?

Comments

• edited February 2012
  • edited February 2012
    Play tightish early, play em like SNG - TAG ABC

Raise big, bet big, get chips -

love your made pairs
  • edited February 2012
    How about limping....

Should I still stick to a fold or raise approach?

Because I found that they are all trying to limp early on
  • edited February 2012
    Dont limp, unless ur limping behind someone else and u have position

Tight aggresive poker, dont be afraid to raise high with premiums you need to find out how many is ideal for your pub. Mainly you dont want to be playing 5 handed etc every pot you enter so if you have a premium raise it up and adjust if your getting called still raise it even more,

Position is key as pingu has said :) also in general dont look @ your cards until the action is on you try to see how your opponents react. 
  • edited February 2012
    Watch opponents before looking at cards - good tip

Maybe I should look up tells too
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Pub League Poker:
    How about limping.... Should I still stick to a fold or raise approach? Because I found that they are all trying to limp early on
    Posted by GuitarLad
    Limper tax them to death. Overlimping in position isn't terrible if you've got a hand that you want multiple opponents against you with (Small pocket pairs, for instance), but never be the first limper - Open raise, don't open limp. You won't go too far wrong by just raising or folding pre-flop. :)
  • edited February 2012
    I persoanlly go super tight aggressive in these. My standard raise in pub poker leagues is 10x. Usually gets about 2 callers. But i only do this with a majorly tight range.
  • edited February 2012

Depends what you want to achieve in the pub league. If your main aim is to qualify for  Regional Finals then ubernitty should guarantee this and you will also pick up some prize money on the way.
  • edited February 2012

Limping in pub poker if fine, no point tryin to play good solid poker like a pro in pub poker as you well get donked out, i would only be limping with hands like 67 suited etc still raise your big hands etc but no point 3 betting with marginal hands, its good to be drawing as when you hit there will be a bigger chance of getting paid as the standard is donkish. Btw is it the LPPL you play in?