You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

card dead???

edited February 2012 in The Poker Clinic
after quite a few big cashes in tourneys on sky my run for the moment has come to an end!!! im still running deep in quite a few but my biggest problem is what to do when u get card dead and u only have a medium stack!!! i try to keep tite and wait for a big hand but lately they havent been coming and eventually im left with about 6 - 10 big blinds and ive had to shove with a rag ace or a small pair!!!

Comments

• edited February 2012
    Don't let yourself get too low, and towards the end the cards do become a little irrelevant in comparison to the position you're in.

I.E. people are quite tight towards the end and don't wanna be taking unnecessary risks so a min-raise is often enough to take the blinds if you're on the button or one before it (the cut off), which pays your blinds for that orbit. Keep your head above water and hopefully you can do that til you find a good spot to double up.
  • edited February 2012
    Sounds pretty standard mate. There comes a big stage in all MTTs where you will go card dead.
    If you're lucky, you will have zilch early on then run into big pairs when you get to the FT.
    Or..you could have all the big pairs early on, then just fade into oblivion mid-game.

MTTs are all about timing. And a big portion of timing is luck!
  • edited February 2012
    position, position, position. dont need good cards all the time, pick your spots (and players).
  • edited February 2012
    You need to make your opponents fold when you have a 15-30BB stack. Aggression is the key here. if you have a 20BB stack and you think a player is opening light, shove and steal the money. If you think that a player has taken a flop out of possition in fit-or-fold mode have a go. If you call in possition and think that a player can bet fold the flop, come over the top of their c-bet.

It is better to make a move with 20BBs and get knocked out that it is just just let the blinds pass through you for an hour and then shove 9BBs with ATo into AK.

Have a look through your hand histories for hands where you have won without a show down. Suppose you have AK and you flopped TPTK but your opponent folded to your flop bet, then try to work out why they folded. Then when you are facing the same type of player in the same type of situation try to make them fold even when you have air.

late in MTTs your cards are less important than situations
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to card dead???:
    after quite a few big cashes in tourneys on sky my run for the moment has come to an end!!! im still running deep in quite a few but my biggest problem is what to do when u get card dead and u only have a medium stack!!! i try to keep tite and wait for a big hand but lately they havent been coming and eventually im left with about 6 - 10 big blinds and ive had to shove with a rag ace or a small pair!!!
    Posted by THEROCK573
    didnt you finish 2nd in the 5k bh tonight? lol
  • edited February 2012

Too many players think o no I have xbb I must start shoving.

Essentially you need to maintain a stack that has leverage against the other stacks. If this mean shoving unopened spots with ATC then so be it, all about ensuring you do not fall below a point where you have no fold equity.

Having no FE with a short stack is a cardinal sin in MTT play.

If you find yourself card dead then just pick your spots to shove your stack.

In general on Sky if your sitting on 10-12bb then put your stack to work.

Keep an eye on the other stacks, more important than how many bb you have.

If you have 20bb and the other stacks have 80bb then your short, all relative.

Get it in the middle as often as possible, don’t worry about what cards you have just shove good unopened spots.

Even if you ran your 84 into AK, your not In that bad shape.

• edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: card dead???:
    In Response to card dead??? : didnt you finish 2nd in the 5k bh tonight? lol
    Posted by robyoung
    yes i did, lol, luck must have turned. haha ran well and even sucked out on a couple of players!!! got owned by nutter heads up tho!!!
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: card dead??? : yes i did, lol, luck must have turned. haha ran well and even sucked out on a couple of players!!! got owned by nutter heads up tho!!!
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Just scoped you, seriously your complaining about your bad run :S

Your running very well by the looks of it )
  • edited February 2012
    Too many players think o no I have xbb I must start shoving. Essentially you need to maintain a stack that has leverage against the other stacks. If this mean shoving unopened spots with ATC then so be it, all about ensuring you do not fall below a point where you have no fold equity. Having no FE with a short stack is a cardinal sin in MTT play.   If you find yourself card dead then just pick your spots to shove your stack. In general on Sky if your sitting on 10-12bb then put your stack to work. Keep an eye on the other stacks, more important than how many bb you have. If you have 20bb and the other stacks have 80bb then your short, all relative. Get it in the middle as often as possible, don’t worry about what cards you have just shove good unopened spots. Even if you ran your 84 into AK, your not In that bad shape.
    Posted by rancid
    thanks for your input rancid but when your tournament life is on the line then im not prepared to just shove 10 - 12 bbs into un opened pots with any old cards!!! some dont mind doing this and fair play to them but i value my tourney life!!!
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: card dead??? : thanks for your input rancid but when your tournament life is on the line then im not prepared to just shove 10 - 12 bbs into un opened pots with any old cards!!! some dont mind doing this and fair play to them but i value my tourney life!!!
    Posted by THEROCK573
    What's short for you then, 8bb,6bb ? How far do we go before we need to steal blinds just to look at another orbit ?
    And also have any chance of getting a shove steal through ?
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: card dead??? : thanks for your input rancid but when your tournament life is on the line then im not prepared to just shove 10 - 12 bbs into un opened pots with any old cards!!! some dont mind doing this and fair play to them but i value my tourney life!!!
    Posted by THEROCK573
    This is probably the same logic that prevents you from playing for the win as you approach the bubble, it's very bad logic as MTT's are all about winning not about creeping into the money.
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: card dead??? : This is probably the same logic that prevents you from playing for the win as you approach the bubble, it's very bad logic as MTT's are all about winning not about creeping into the money.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Scope suggests op is doing fine, but lets not be results orientated..................... )
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: card dead??? : Scope suggests op is doing fine, but lets not be results orientated..................... )
    Posted by rancid
    He might be but it doesn't mean he can't get better ;)
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: card dead??? : This is probably the same logic that prevents you from playing for the win as you approach the bubble, it's very bad logic as MTT's are all about winning not about creeping into the money.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    i think youl find i do play for the win and have won quite a few big tournies,no disrespect but i was looking for advice of good tounement players not average ones like yourself!!!!