You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Opinions please

edited February 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Please look at my play. I was repping a heart flush against what I thought was AK or some such. I know the outcome was negative but should the villain have called with his hole cards?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
NINSNANNY Small blind   15.00 15.00 2090.00
belsibub Big blind   30.00 45.00 1940.00
  Your hole cards
  • A

otoole Fold        
gracie24 Call   30.00 75.00 1420.00
strobe Call   30.00 105.00 1805.00
villan Call   30.00 135.00 1440.00
NINSNANNY Call   15.00 150.00 2075.00
belsibub Check        
Flop

• K

NINSNANNY Check        
belsibub Check        
gracie24 Bet   150.00 300.00 1270.00
strobe Fold        
villan Call   150.00 450.00 1290.00
NINSNANNY Call   150.00 600.00 1925.00
belsibub Fold        
Turn

• J

NINSNANNY Check        
gracie24 Check        
villan Bet   120.00 720.00 1170.00
NINSNANNY Call   120.00 840.00 1805.00
gracie24 Call   120.00 960.00 1150.00
River

NINSNANNY Check        
gracie24 All-in   1150.00 2110.00 0.00
villan All-in   1170.00 3280.00 0.00
NINSNANNY Fold        
gav1979 Unmatched bet   20.00 3260.00 20.00
gracie24 Show
  • A

villan Show
  • K

villan
Win Pair of Kings 3260.00   3280.00

Comments

• edited February 2012
    Raise or fold pre.

Check flop 5-way imo.

Turn call looks ok as pot odds are pretty good.

River I'd just check fold, people don't like folding pairs espeically top pairs so your shove isn't gonna work very often imo, against ME this might work but that's because I think about more than my own two cards.
  • edited February 2012
      2 things jump out immediately with this hand and your comments.

Firstly open limping is really bad especially from early to mid position with a marginal hand. Either raise or fold dont limp.

Secondly: Betting patterns tell a story. You limped showing weakness and or a drawy type hand. You pot bet the flop which shows either that you have hit the flop or picked up a big draw.You then check/call the turn to show you are now not so sure of your hand or have missed your draw and are hoping to hit a river. When the river hits with the way you have played the hand it is a blank so the villain is fully entitled to put you on a bluff/missed draw.

The main aspect to selling a story and getting a bluff through is to tell the correct story. Your story in this hand told the truth about your hand that you had the draw on the flop and missed. To tell the story of the heartflush would have required a check on the flop a big bet on the turn followed by the river push. You can not get these sort of moves through if your betting throughout the hand doesnt support them. Just remember you sold the story on the flop and turn of having the clb draw and then you seem in disbelief when your story on the river which contradicts your other story is not believed.

But the main aspect for me in this hand is that you gave the villain the opportunity to hit the flop by not taking control preflop. Remove open limping from your game and you will see it improve.
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Opinions please:
      2 things jump out immediately with this hand and your comments.  Firstly open limping is really bad especially from early to mid position with a marginal hand. Either raise or fold dont limp.  Secondly: Betting patterns tell a story. You limped showing weakness and or a drawy type hand. You pot bet the flop which shows either that you have hit the flop or picked up a big draw.You then check/call the turn to show you are now not so sure of your hand or have missed your draw and are hoping to hit a river. When the river hits with the way you have played the hand it is a blank so the villain is fully entitled to put you on a bluff/missed draw.  The main aspect to selling a story and getting a bluff through is to tell the correct story. Your story in this hand told the truth about your hand that you had the draw on the flop and missed. To tell the story of the heartflush would have required a check on the flop a big bet on the turn followed by the river push. You can not get these sort of moves through if your betting throughout the hand doesnt support them. Just remember you sold the story on the flop and turn of having the clb draw and then you seem in disbelief when your story on the river which contradicts your other story is not believed.   But the main aspect for me in this hand is that you gave the villain the opportunity to hit the flop by not taking control preflop. Remove open limping from your game and you will see it improve.

Good points - I confused myself and all others.
    Posted by Talon
  • edited February 2012
    I'll just back-up what Talon has already said: Limping pre-flop is really bad and your story doesn't make any sense. I can't elaborate much on what Talon has already said about that.

I would just like to give one piece of more general advice: You can never really represent a runner-runner flush against any player, mainly because nobody ever believes it. I will never look at a flop and think "He must have made his flush on the turn and river". I might think "He could have made his back-door flush here and I'm really unlucky if he has" but that's not going to be enough to make me fold. This is what makes the back-door flush such a powerful hand. Even when your opponents are afraid of it, they will never actually believe it.
  • edited February 2012
    Raise pre, never open limp!

flop fine, turn fine, River check/fold no point bluffing 5 way on the river ur never going to get them all to fold
  • edited February 2012
    fold pre

bet flop smaller

Turn fine

river dont like for for two reasons. You dont really rep a backdoor fluh that well and unless you have reads dont expect anyone to fold
  • edited February 2012

Hi,

Thank you for your post,

If you would like us to analyse your hand on the poker clinic on our live TV show please do let us know which tournament/cash table the hand is from and also your hand ID.

Poker Clinic is every Thursday at 8pm.

All the best

Sky Poker TV Team.