You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

3X BET V 7X BET V ALL IN.

edited February 2012 in The Poker Clinic

In a live game last night i was on the cut off with AK suited,I raised 3x, sb made it 7x, bb goes all in.So what would you do, the all in is for all my chips and top 3 paid 8 still left in the tournament 1st prize is £420.00 .If i fold i have 15bbs still left so should i call or lay the hand down ?

Comments

• edited February 2012
  • edited February 2012

your opponents playing styles and stack sizes would help make my decision ?

• edited February 2012
    Let big & small fight it out, fold woth a sigh and find a better spot.

Mac
  • edited February 2012
    A lot more info needed here.

1) Any antes? If there's any antes, especially if they're quite big, then 18bb might be a shoving stack rather than just a standard raise with AK. On Sky, you always hear "10 big blinds = shove", which is an m ratio of 10/1.5 = 6.6666 orbits before you get blinded out. If you have antes in play, the same m ratio will represent a higher number of big blinds, which will move AKs closer to an open shove rather than a standard raise. So first thing here would be to make sure that you aren't actually making a mistake here by not open shoving.

2) Stack sizes - Is the BB shoving 20bb effective against the SB or 50bb effective? Is it for his tournament life or not? Is the SB pot committed once he's re-raised? These will effect the decision making process for both of the other players, as well as yourself.

3) Reads on players - Is the SB good enough to know you should be raising a wide range from the cutoff, and 3 bet you light? Is the BB only 4 betting with AA/KK, or does he know that you don't have to have a hand, the SB could 3 bet light, and they could cold 4 bet shove a wider range and get it through? OR...Are you playing like a total nit, in which case, the SB and BB will have to have monster hands themselves to reraise you and your AK is almost certainly dominated, making this an easy fold?

So many variables that I don't think anyone can give you a good answer without a lot more information, to be honest. In general, I'd probably lean towards a fold, but the more info you post, the better responses you'll get.
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: 3X BET V 7X BET V ALL IN.:
    A lot more info needed here. 1) Any antes? If there's any antes, especially if they're quite big, then 18bb might be a shoving stack rather than just a standard raise with AK. On Sky, you always hear "10 big blinds = shove", which is an m ratio of 10/1.5 = 6.6666 orbits before you get blinded out. If you have antes in play, the same m ratio will represent a higher number of big blinds, which will move AKs closer to an open shove rather than a standard raise. So first thing here would be to make sure that you aren't actually making a mistake here by not open shoving. 2) Stack sizes - Is the BB shoving 20bb effective against the SB or 50bb effective? Is it for his tournament life or not? Is the SB pot committed once he's re-raised? These will effect the decision making process for both of the other players, as well as yourself. 3) Reads on players - Is the SB good enough to know you should be raising a wide range from the cutoff, and 3 bet you light? Is the BB only 4 betting with AA/KK, or does he know that you don't have to have a hand, the SB could 3 bet light, and they could cold 4 bet shove a wider range and get it through? OR...Are you playing like a total nit, in which case, the SB and BB will have to have monster hands themselves to reraise you and your AK is almost certainly dominated, making this an easy fold? So many variables that I don't think anyone can give you a good answer without a lot more information, to be honest. In general, I'd probably lean towards a fold, but the more info you post, the better responses you'll get.
    Posted by EvilPingu
    No antes m8.

I sat on the final table for 15mins i hadnt raised 1 hand until then,The sb player limped a few hands but i never saw him 3 bet tbh and bb jammed all in 3 hands earlier and showed 10s.

So the table play was relativly solid but like i said id only been on table 15mins and the 2 guys in the hand with me were on different tables through the night so didnt have a lot to go on them.

• edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: 3X BET V 7X BET V ALL IN. : No antes m8. I sat on the final table for 15mins i hadnt raised 1 hand until then,The sb player limped a few hands but i never saw him 3 bet tbh and bb jammed all in 3 hands earlier and showed 10s. So the table play was relativly solid but like i said id only been on table 15mins and the 2 guys in the hand with me were on different tables through the night so didnt have a lot to go on them.
    Posted by cleaverjim
    In that case, I think a standard raise is fine, and I think it's marginal but probably a fold. As you said 15bb isn't the end of the world, and there'll be better spots than this one, AK doesn't play too well against most people's cold 4 betting range.
  • edited February 2012
    I thought hard and did fold,Sb called BB QQ, sb shows KK.

Flop was...AAJ..Q..Q.

After the flop i was thinking i would of been a huge chip leader but then bink bink turn n river so glad i folded,lol.

I ended up having 7bbs left 5 still in and shoved with JS sadly got 2 callers A6 and KQ and the KQ won but a very enjoyable night .
  • edited February 2012
    I thought hard and did fold,Sb called BB QQ, sb shows KK. Flop was...AAJ..Q..Q. After the flop i was thinking i would of been a huge chip leader but then bink bink turn n river so glad i folded,lol. I ended up having 7bbs left 5 still in and shoved with JS sadly got 2 callers A6 and KQ and the KQ won but a very enjoyable night .
    Posted by cleaverjim
    Nice fold, wp

Mac
  • edited February 2012
    im folding here find better spots still have 15 bigs still ok for shoving spots and pick up blinds against a raise and a reraise ak is never in good shape your flipping at best 
  • edited February 2012
    I thought hard and did fold,Sb called BB QQ, sb shows KK. Flop was...AAJ..Q..Q. After the flop i was thinking i would of been a huge chip leader but then bink bink turn n river so glad i folded,lol. I ended up having 7bbs left 5 still in and shoved with JS sadly got 2 callers A6 and KQ and the KQ won but a very enjoyable night .
    Posted by cleaverjim

Nice fold Jim, 

Ps: FAO all the doom merchants on here, Look... it doesn`t just happen on Sky!!!
    It`s poker, these things happen. get out more. 

That is all.