You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Muhammed Ali & Boxing

edited March 2012 in The Shed
Turned 70 a couple of weeks back. However, the sight of this pathetic individual reinforces my view that there is no place in modern society for this so called sport. There is no place for such barbarity in the 21st century. I would like to see boxing become a non-contact sport, which would ensure the well being of the participants. Any thoughts?

Comments

• edited February 2012
    isnt wrestling just non contact boxing?
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Muhammed Ali & Boxing:
    Turned 70 a couple of weeks back. However, the sight of this pathetic individual reinforces my view that there is no place in modern society for this so called sport. There is no place for such barbarity in the 21st century. I would like to see boxing become a non-contact sport, which would ensure the well being of the participants. Any thoughts?
    Posted by MR_
    Ask Muhhamed Ali, Micheal Watson, Oliver Spencer all injured due to boxing  and all say boxing is a force for good and would do it all over again.
    Muhhamed Ali was allowed to fight on for way to long and this was a mistake but to say boxing should be banned is rubbish its this kind of thinking (Nanny state) that is ruining our country, let people make their own decisions in life if you dont like it watch something else. 
  • edited February 2012
    Posted by MR_BONGE
    ???? you seem very biast for some reason, what makes people like you think and have the right to say this.

I listened to this debate on Radio2 a while back, and some snobby people really annoyed me. 1. boxing can give kids(esp in places of economic inequality) direction, motivation, aspirations when they have nothing in life. 2 They can be taught discipline when taught correctly, such as in any of this kind of disciplines(e.g martial arts) 3.Barbaric??? What would muhamad ali be without boxing.....in a racist era where "blacks" were seen as mere-mortals .....if you asked ali of any regrets, i doubt it would be anything to do with or regading his parkinsons disease or the barbaric-ness of boxing, i hope it would be about how he treated frazier.

Man, this infuriates me no end, for many people boxing has geve them a meaning in life, and taking away boxing will just take away another limited option for people with limited choices, THINK! what would you prefer  people in poverty to be? criminals.

All this stems from one incident involing 2 idiots that happen to be in boxing. there was a brawl with MPs a couple of days ago, should we ban MPs??

• edited February 2012
    Turned 70 a couple of weeks back. However, the sight of this pathetic individual reinforces my view that there is no place in modern society for this so called sport.
    Posted by MR_BONGE
    God you have annoyed me so much with this comment
  • edited February 2012
    MR Bon-dage, I doubt you are over the age of 18? which other wise would be inconceivable to me that, with the user name you have chosen that if you were any older i would seriously recommend that you take a good hard look at yourself.

But without trolling this thread i wish that you remove yourself from you'r sheltered lifestyle, where it seems that boxing concerns you most in this day and age.
  • edited February 2012
    I was brought up with my parents basically saying the same thing as the OP, and I have absolutely no interest in boxing, but quite frankly, anyone who believes that boxing should be banned is wrong. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but most boxers come from pretty awful backgrounds where if they weren't boxing, they'd probably be homeless, or in jail. Boxing gives inspiration to thousands of people who have nothing else in their lives other than boxing. Yes, it's sad to see Muhammad Ali the way he is these days, but making boxing illegal isn't the answer.

If we made everything that could be potentially harmful in any way, shape, or form illegal, life would be a bit cr ap, wouldn't it? As far as I'm concerned, anybody should be able to do whatever they want as long as they are aware of the consequences of their actions and it's not putting anyone else in danger.
  • edited February 2012
    your post has not been though out, and you obviously have no knowledge of the sport.
    having boxed at inter-service level, it is one of the best ways to bring out the very best in our youth.
    and the stupid idea to make it a non contact sport, how would that work ???
    anyone who goes into boxing, is taugh how to protect themselves.
    the fitness regime you have to go through even before you get in the ring, weeds out those that cant make it.
    the self discipline taught to every potential boxer, stands them in good stead for the rest of their lifes, it takes great self discipline, when in the ring, not to lose your temper when someone punches you.
    in most countries its the poor kids that turn to boxing,to get themselves out of poverty, thers not many rich people start to box as a way of earning a living.
    i think that you should go to a gym, and try it.  ( i want my mummy would soon be uttered from your mouth )
    its only those that dont know or understand the game, make comments like yours, and i agree with
    whoami that your probably a troll