You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Do i bet river for value here?

edited February 2012 in The Poker Clinic
I was pretty sure i was ahead until river, was oppo checking to induce a bet from me?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
ice-queen Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £22.99
shadowm593 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £4.80
  Your hole cards

trevor1954 Fold     
davelufc Raise  £0.80 £0.95 £16.66
ryderroo Call  £0.80 £1.75 £21.91
ice-queen Call  £0.75 £2.50 £22.24
shadowm593 Call  £0.70 £3.20 £4.10
Flop

ice-queen Check     
shadowm593 Check     
davelufc Bet  £1.30 £4.50 £15.36
ryderroo Fold     
ice-queen Call  £1.30 £5.80 £20.94
shadowm593 Fold     
Turn

• Q

ice-queen Check     
davelufc Bet  £3.00 £8.80 £12.36
ice-queen Call  £3.00 £11.80 £17.94
River

ice-queen Check     
davelufc ????   

Comments

• edited February 2012
    No you dont bet river for value. You could possibly consider betting it as a bluff

why raise 8x pre

check flop

check turn

as played I just check river readless
  • edited February 2012
    8x pre w/55 is pretty insane, just make it 3x.

Check flop multi-way.

Same turn.

Same river.

You don't have a value hand here, bluff catcher at best but you don't need to make a decision to call so just check.
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Do i bet river for value here?:
    8x pre w/55 is pretty insane, just make it 3x. Check flop multi-way. Same turn. Same river. You don't have a value hand here, bluff catcher at best but you don't need to make a decision to call so just check.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Its just the way i play dude, i go a lot by how i feel, i`m pretty aggro,it might be losing play in the long run but then again maybe not!! I just like to mix it up now and then.

There was a player on thursdays totp show called "DERP DERP " What a player!

If you missed it, you gotta catch the repeat, thats insane lol.
  • edited February 2012
    No need for 8x raise preflop (Edit - practically NEVER EVER). As said just make it 3xbb.

Value bet river? Eh? What's he going to call with that doesn't beat you? (If you do bet it, it's pretty much a bluff to get him off a better hand). Just check.

I wouldn't say you're "aggro" tbh from when we played a few nights ago tbh lol ;)
  • edited February 2012
    There was a player on thursdays totp show called "DERP DERP " What a player! 
    did u see that guy raise 8x on a pocket pair 5,s  wot a player.... insane lol... 
    ..dont thro stones in glass houses. lol
  • edited February 2012
    No need for 8x raise preflop (Edit - practically NEVER EVER). As said just make it 3xbb. Value bet river? Eh? What's he going to call with that doesn't beat you? (If you do bet it, it's pretty much a bluff to get him off a better hand). Just check. I wouldn't say you're "aggro" tbh from when we played a few nights ago tbh lol ;)
    Posted by Die_hard
    Oi mush. This is aggro.......lolz
    Die_hard Small blind  £0.50 £0.50 £53.22
    davelufc Big blind  £0.50 £1.00 £45.00
      Your hole cards

pryce6 Fold     
    dannyhac21 Raise  £1.50 £2.50 £93.07
    thebil123 Fold     
    SCOOTER Fold     
    Die_hard Fold     
    davelufc Raise  £4.00 £6.50 £41.00
    dannyhac21 Call  £3.00 £9.50 £90.07
    Flop

• Q

davelufc Check     
    dannyhac21 Check     
    Turn

davelufc Bet  £4.50 £14.00 £36.50
    dannyhac21 Fold     
    davelufc Muck     
    davelufc Win  £9.02  £45.52
    davelufc Return  £4.50 £0.48 £50.02
  • edited February 2012
    There was a player on thursdays totp show called "DERP DERP " What a player!  did u see that guy raise 8x on a pocket pair 5,s  wot a player.... insane lol...  .. dont thro stones in glass houses. lol
    Posted by wayne1958
    If you saw the show you would realise that he played non ABC poker.

It was not a rubdown by any means either, i just loved the way the guy played thats all.

So you dont like the way i play, thats fine. gl.

Is your last name Kerr btw?
  • edited February 2012
    tbf dave its nowt to do with me how u play,im not botherd anyway, but if you dont like the feedback dont post your hands ..thought you was having a go at the guy that was all, yes i did see the show but he must have won as much as he lost ,fair play i have neather the money nor the go-nads to play them games lol.., so gl to you m8......  ps whos kerr a red hot poker ply?......
  • edited February 2012
    lol. I'd be delighted to check this hand down. Grantorino in the first response summed it up Dave.

8x is a bit weird with such a hand but if you want advice on the clinic then you will normally get ABC type advice. If your responces are along the lines of 'i'm aggro' or 'unpredictable' or 'i like to mix it up' etc then there is no point posting in the clinic as you wont get the responces you want. Not a rubdown or anything, just an observation.

By the way, there is a Rugby League player whose name is Wayne Kerr. He plays for Ireland and he used to play for London Skolars but i think he moved on somewhere else. He is a prop and about 18 stone so no one mentions it lol!
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Do i bet river for value here? : If you saw the show you would realise that he played non ABC poker. It was not a rubdown by any means either, i just loved the way the guy played thats all. So you dont like the way i play, thats fine. gl. Is your last name Kerr btw?
    Posted by davelufc
    Yeah I saw it, basically spewed off ~£2000.
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Do i bet river for value here? : Oi mush. This is aggro.......
    Posted by davelufc
    This, is aggro...
    Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance
    DirkG Small blind   £0.50 £0.50 £169.93
    Poker_Fail Big blind   £1.00 £1.50 £308.82
      Your hole cards

DirkG Raise   £2.50 £4.00 £167.43
    Poker_Fail Raise   £7.00 £11.00 £301.82
    DirkG Raise   £19.00 £30.00 £148.43
    Poker_Fail Raise   £60.00 £90.00 £241.82
    DirkG Fold        
    Poker_Fail Muck        
    Poker_Fail Win   £44.00   £285.82
    Poker_Fail Return   £46.00 £0.00 £331.82
  • edited February 2012
    *Note* my 5bet wasn't supposed to be quite that big. Shoulda been about a fiver less IMO
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Do i bet river for value here? : Oi mush. This is aggro.......lolz Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance Die_hard Small blind   £0.50 £0.50 £53.22 davelufc Big blind   £0.50 £1.00 £45.00   Your hole cards 7 5       pryce6 Fold         dannyhac21 Raise   £1.50 £2.50 £93.07 thebil123 Fold         SCOOTER Fold         Die_hard Fold         davelufc Raise   £4.00 £6.50 £41.00 dannyhac21 Call   £3.00 £9.50 £90.07 Flop     10 Q 2       davelufc Check         dannyhac21 Check         Turn     2       davelufc Bet   £4.50 £14.00 £36.50 dannyhac21 Fold         davelufc Muck         davelufc Win   £9.02   £45.52 davelufc Return   £4.50 £0.48 £50.02
    Posted by davelufc

OMG LOL get me on a table with you, 'This is aggro' =LOL you completely shut down on the flop and pretty much have a blindofld stab at it on the turn. 

Another Great Quote 'I go a lot by how I feel' HAHA so ou feel like 8x ing 55 so im guessing your feeling scared and cautious and dont want any callers. Even when you do get a caller you think it is still possible to value bet that river and get a worse hand to call. Your right that A4 is definately gonna call YOU ARE CRUSHED IN THIS POSITION. Please sit at a table with me soon I want to see you 3 bet shutdown and then value bet 5th pair on the river 

• edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Do i bet river for value here? : OMG LOL get me on a table with you, 'This is aggro' =LOL you completely shut down on the flop and pretty much have a blindofld stab at it on the turn.  Another Great Quote 'I go a lot by how I feel' HAHA so ou feel like 8x ing 55 so im guessing your feeling scared and cautious and dont want any callers. Even when you do get a caller you think it is still possible to value bet that river and get a worse hand to call. Your right that A4 is definately gonna call YOU ARE CRUSHED IN THIS POSITION. Please sit at a table with me soon I want to see you 3 bet shutdown and then value bet 5th pair on the river 
    Posted by Knowles001
    Although you make some valid points about his play and reasoning, there is no need to make a post of the tone above

Dave, raising 8x with 55 sounds bad to me. "I like to be aggro" or "I like to mix up my game" arent really valid, you should have a specific reason for your actions. Non standard lines are fine provided there is a good reason for it which involves you winning more chips. Tbh though I cant think of a reason to open 8x with 55
  • edited February 2012
    Come on guys play nice. The villain could have little idea of your holding although he has  c/c bets already. You are only beating 2 4's or unpaired cards. What is he calling with and still checking on the river. Your should either go all in or check with fingers crossed. It will depend on reads and "how you feel".

I have often got in this situation before and done the all in and villain produces a flush - but I now only play DYM's and so get away now.
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Do i bet river for value here? : Although you make some valid points about his play and reasoning, there is no need to make a post of the tone above Dave, raising 8x with 55 sounds bad to me. "I like to be aggro" or "I like to mix up my game" arent really valid, you should have a specific reason for your actions. Non standard lines are fine provided there is a good reason for it which involves you winning more chips. Tbh though I cant think of a reason to open 8x with 55
    Posted by grantorino
    Ty GT, your replies always make a lot of sense.

In hindsight i did title the thread incorrectly, i admit 8x was slightly ott!!!

I thought the flop was pretty good for 55 with oesd too.

I know that on the river i am behind to quite a few hands, i really must tighten up.!!!!!!

Ty again.
  • edited February 2012

Got away with it lol,,,,

ice-queen Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £22.99
    shadowm593 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £4.80
      Your hole cards

trevor1954 Fold     
    davelufc Raise  £0.80 £0.95 £16.66
    ryderroo Call  £0.80 £1.75 £21.91
    ice-queen Call  £0.75 £2.50 £22.24
    shadowm593 Call  £0.70 £3.20 £4.10
    Flop

ice-queen Check     
    shadowm593 Check     
    davelufc Bet  £1.30 £4.50 £15.36
    ryderroo Fold     
    ice-queen Call  £1.30 £5.80 £20.94
    shadowm593 Fold     
    Turn

• Q

ice-queen Check     
    davelufc Bet  £3.00 £8.80 £12.36
    ice-queen Call  £3.00 £11.80 £17.94
    River

ice-queen Check     
    davelufc Check     
    ice-queen Show
    • A

davelufc Show

davelufc Win Pair of 5s £10.91  £23.27

• edited February 2012
    no point raising 8x w/55 unless you raise the same for premiums

You may think your being un predictable but your probably being more predictable raising like this

have fun