You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Horrible spot with top set.

edited February 2012 in The Poker Clinic
After an hour's play and an almost exactly break-even session I decide to play the last hand before the blinds come back round. Such mixed emotions on the flop...
jenko92 Big blind  £0.10 £0.10 £4.99
 Your hole cards

Pysterman Raise  £0.30 £0.40 £12.72
DEVILFI5H Call  £0.30 £0.70 £21.93
Prower Call  £0.30 £1.00 £10.41
badcawl Fold     
deano1964 Fold     
agb68 Call  £0.30 £1.30 £4.79
BURNINACE Fold     
jenko92 Call  £0.20 £1.50 £4.79
Flop

jenko92 Check     
Pysterman Bet  £1.50 £3.00 £11.22
DEVILFI5H Call  £1.50 £4.50 £20.43
Prower Raise  £3.00 £7.50 £7.41
agb68 Fold     
jenko92 Fold     
Pysterman Call  £1.50 £9.00 £9.72
DEVILFI5H Call  £1.50 £10.50 £18.93
Turn

Pysterman Check     
DEVILFI5H Check     
Prower Bet  £2.00 £12.50 £5.41
Pysterman Call  £2.00 £14.50 £7.72
DEVILFI5H All-in  £18.93 £33.43 £0.00
Prower All-in  £5.41 £38.84 £0.00
Pysterman Fold
I've done the calculations and the fold here is mathematically right on the cusp. (Over time it is almost exactly 0 EV.)

But did I play the hand correctly up until that?

Comments

• edited February 2012
    Shove on flop after minraise.
  • edited February 2012
    I shove the flop with top set on that board once Prowler re-raises. We're probably miles ahead and if he's flopped a straight, then so be it, we've got 7 outs on the turn plus another 3 on the river if the turn is a brick.
  • edited February 2012
    I think I just shove flop after prower's min raise.

As played now, well it really is frustrating, EV Calc makes it just about a fold I think, but I don't think that the difference is great enough to make it the wrong decision either way.
  • edited February 2012
    In Response to Re: Horrible spot with top set.:
    I think I just shove flop after prower's min raise. As played now, well it really is frustrating, EV Calc makes it just about a fold I think, but I don't think that the difference is great enough to make it the wrong decision either way.
    Posted by NColley
    I made it a very, very, very slight call (marginally better if you assume there's J or a 6 in either or both of the opponent's hands).

However, with the very, very, very slight negative implied odds of running into quads if I house up, then I estimated I should bumped it back down to about 0 EV.

I have to shoot off right now, but I'll post the maths later.
  • edited February 2012

As yes, I've not taken your stack off the overshove properly, took £11 off instead of £9.

In that case your right and its a marginal call, but as I said its so close thats there's no right/wrong decision.

• edited February 2012
    3bet flop and get it in
  • edited February 2012
    As yes, I've not taken your stack off the overshove properly, took £11 off instead of £9. In that case your right and its a marginal call, but as I said its so close thats there's no right/wrong decision.
    Posted by NColley
    Yeah. Unfortunately I couldn't do the maths in the 15 seconds I had. My gut told me I probably wasn't quite getting the odds, though i knew it was close. I guess I just didn't fancy a gamble. (As it happened, a profitable decision as the river was a brick.)

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I see that I should have shoved the flop. I think that when I was re-raised I was too wary of the flopped straight and wanted to try to control the pot until I hit my house.
  • edited February 2012
    3bet flop and get it in
    Posted by grantorino
    Shove it in on flop, should never be seeing turn with options :s
  • edited February 2012

Hi,

Thank you for your post,
    If you would like us to show your hand in tomorrows poker clinic, please let us know the hand ID and which table its from as we can only show tables with the TV icon.

All the best

TV Team