You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

pot limit omaha is this a good time to raise on river for value

Hi all was wondering is this a good time to raise on the river as i am only getting beat by 1 hand but omaha they say if the nuts is out there usually some 1 has it i just thought there was value in my raise i must admit i didnt like the reraise all in but was kinda pot comitted thoughts please xstuartSmall blind £0.02£0.02£4.39peaches620Big blind £0.04£0.06£1.83 Your hole cardsQQ710   IDONKCALLUCall £0.04£0.10£4.03xstuartFold    peaches620Check    Flop  23J   peaches620Bet £0.04£0.14£1.79IDONKCALLUCall £0.04£0.18£3.99Turn  8   peaches620Bet £0.04£0.22£1.75IDONKCALLUCall £0.04£0.26£3.95River  Q   peaches620Bet £0.26£0.52£1.49IDONKCALLURaise £0.65£1.17£3.30peaches620All-in £1.49£2.66£0.00IDONKCALLUCall £1.10£3.76£2.20peaches620Show5JKJ   IDONKCALLUShowQQ710   IDONKCALLUWinThree Queens£3.47 £5.6

Comments

• edited February 2012
    Dont worry about not having the nuts HU !

Raise pre
    Raise flop
    Get in on turn

You played the hand so passive its untrue - you have an awesome hand 3 handed (start betting) :))
  • edited March 2012
      One of the main things to remember about PLO is that it is pot limit and this limits your betting. The pot need to be built up peflop,on the flop and on the turn to allow for getting it all in on the river. Ok so now to this hand.

Preflop: You have what are called good queens, with the double flush possibilities and straightening options. This being a short-handed table in order to be playing for stacks which is what you want to be doing you need to be raising preflop here. The keys to omaha are Aggression, hand strength and position, you had 2 but failed on the third.

Flop:HU over pair and the third nut flush draw is massive so you definitely want to be getting more money into this pot. The flat calling of the min bet here is weak in every respect.

Turn:You are now about as big as you can possibly be with the overpair, double flush draw and a gutshot. At this stage i would want to be finding a way of getting all my money over the line because despite the fact that you may be behind you have so many draws and so many outs you would be silly waiting for the river because that is when all potential value has gone from the hand. Flat calling a min bet here is also the ultimate in weakness. You are being weak when you need to be strong.

River: This is a very dodgy card for you because although it completes your hand it does bring in a draw. But that being said with the betting pattern of your opponent 9T seems unlikely except as the backup to what he was betting the other streets with. So i think you have to be prepared to get it all in here.

Conclusion: This is not a hand about the river, the hand should have been finished with the betting well before then. Maybe on the flop and if not definitely on the turn. You played this hand badly preflop, on the flop and on the turn which lead to you being unsure about the river. If you had taken the correct aggressive line you would have got all your money in behind but with a lot of outs available to you. But luckily for you your opponent played it as passively and as badly as you.

• edited March 2012
    Don't limp pre, it's bad enough alot of people think you can see a flop with any 4 cards in omaha and by you limping, you're making it a complete must that they come along.

Raise flop and turn definitely.