You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

CAN U MAKE A PROFIT WEEK IN WEEK OUT PLAYIN 25p/50p CASH

edited November 2009 in Poker Chat

I have only been playing on sky for less than 3 months and have shown a nice profit so far.
last night all was well, i was bout £100 up between my 6 tables then a horror 20 mins seen me go from +100 to -150.
AA x2, KK and QQ killed me (all by junk).  What i would like to know is, can u show a profit wk in wk out playing such low stakes with such a high variance

Comments

• edited November 2009

I don't think so. The vast majority of poker players don't end up in profit.

I am at the moment but don't expect it to last the year.

My approach is I only play what I can afford to lose. It is a bit of fun, not my job.

• edited November 2009
    god, terrable stuff.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to CAN U MAKE A PROFIT WEEK IN WEEK OUT PLAYIN 25p/50p CASH:
    I have only been playing on sky for less than 3 months and have shown a nice profit so far. last night all was well, i was bout £100 up between my 6 tables then a horror 20 mins seen me go from +100 to -150. AA x2, KK and QQ killed me (all by junk).  What i would like to know is, can u show a profit wk in wk out playing such low stakes with such a high variance
    Posted by freechips1
    You can show a profit week in week out at any level, the lower the level the easier it is.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: CAN U MAKE A PROFIT WEEK IN WEEK OUT PLAYIN 25p/50p CASH:
    I don't think so. The vast majority of poker players don't end up in profit. I am at the moment but don't expect it to last the year. My approach is I only play what I can afford to lose. It is a bit of fun, not my job.
    Posted by Urdadi

This might not be what you wanted to hear but it's the truth, 99.9% of players lose money over time. A small number make a profit over a period of years.

A lot will disagree but it stands to reason, if every player who says they make a profit did so, who supplies the money? Most players who say they are profitable are either in denial or don't keep records and are sadly mistaken.

• edited November 2009
    You can definitely make profit. Hand slike u described are part and parcel of cash unfortunately - thats why people bang on about bankroll management so much all the time!!!
  • edited November 2009
    yes of course you can,it takes patience obviously,but it can be done.
  • edited November 2009
    yes of course you can,it takes patience obviously,but it can be done.
    Posted by namesb0nd
    Yes it can be done, but I know paperboys who make more than most poker players for a lot less hours.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: CAN U MAKE A PROFIT WEEK IN WEEK OUT PLAYIN 25p/50p CASH : Yes it can be done, but I know paperboys who make more than most poker players for a lot less hours.
    Posted by elsadog
    definately agree. I would't give up my day job based on my poker skills thats for sure.

Tikay10 did a great overview on this subject earlier in the week. Someone was asking about managing bankroll and mentors etc and Tikay responded in detail.  Worth have a look for.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: CAN U MAKE A PROFIT WEEK IN WEEK OUT PLAYIN 25p/50p CASH : This might not be what you wanted to hear but it's the truth, 99.9% of players lose money over time. A small number make a profit over a period of years. A lot will disagree but it stands to reason, if every player who says they make a profit did so, who supplies the money? Most players who say they are profitable are either in denial or don't keep records and are sadly mistaken.
    Posted by elsadog
    i do show a profit i am near 2k up in less than 3 months, the last site i played on i made a profit.
    all the hands i lost with in the 20 mins from hel l (wow it wont let me say h ell) i was a min of 70% fav when the money went in on 3 of them.  If i had been sat at a £1/2 table the hands that called me would of folded. is the variance alot higher at lower stakes like 25/50?
  • edited November 2009
    i am up over 7 k on sky ,

secret is you got find the game thats suit your play and pocket ,

and focus in on it ,

mine is deepstack ,

buy in a fiver,

so you see it is possible .

• edited November 2009
    You asked the question and I answered with what I have seen over the 6 years I've played online poker. I could rattle off scores of players who were good poker players and thought they could make a living at it. They have disappeared over the years. I know players who have literally lost their house, and yet they were on the whole good players. Of  all the players I knew from 6 years ago all but a handful have disappeared. Those who are still successful were not good players they were exceptionally good players. There are numerous professional players who have gone bust over the years too. The best online tournament players in the world have a long term win percentage of 12-15%. Low stake cash sees a high turnover of players, but the more lucrative higher stakes games are much more competitive and are often just the same money being recycled around the tables, minus the rake.

I don't wish to spoil the aspirations of anyone who thinks they are good enough to make living playing poker, but the reality is that a huge percentage who try, fail.
  • edited November 2009
    i am up over 7 k on sky , secret is you got find the game thats suit your play and pocket , and focus in on it , mind is deepstack , buy in a fiver, so you see it is possible .
    Posted by IRISHROVER

Great results Irish.

In 2005/6 I had mtt winnings of $240,000......In 2007 I couldn't hit a bulls **** with a frying pan. Nothing is certain in poker.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: CAN U MAKE A PROFIT WEEK IN WEEK OUT PLAYIN 25p/50p CASH : Great results Irish. In 2005/6 I had mtt winnings of $240,000......In 2007 I couldn't hit a bulls **** with a frying pan. Nothing is certain in poker.
    Posted by elsadog
    how on earth did u manage that? was it one big win?
  • edited November 2009
    i am up over 7 k on sky , secret is you got find the game thats suit your play and pocket , and focus in on it , mind is deepstack , buy in a fiver, so you see it is possible .
    Posted by IRISHROVER
    hats off to you Irishrover, I switch between cash and tournament. I know the style of play is different in both. I am thinking of concentrating on just one type. What do you suggest? My preference is tournaments.
  • edited November 2009
    People can make a living off 25/50 with a 4-5ptbb/100 so yes is the answer.

Use strict BRM, 30BI for a new stake is safe and if u plan on cashing out I'd be keeping 50BI in there plus reserves for downswings.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: CAN U MAKE A PROFIT WEEK IN WEEK OUT PLAYIN 25p/50p CASH : how on earth did u manage that? was it one big win?
    Posted by freechips1
    No, the biggest win was $16500, but I played 3 or 4 mtts a night and had a high hit rate in cashes and final tabled 1 in 10. Stakes were in the range of $20 - $200. The majority of the winnings came from the nightly $7,500 and $5,000 mtts which attracted relatively small fields of 300-400.

That's not that impressive btw, there are lots of players doing far better, but as a percentage of all players they are less than 1%.
  • edited November 2009
    Great thread and really good insight from 'elsadog' of the long term ....I probably have been playing this poker longer than most, and like 'elsadog' said, some players hit it big (live and online) ...
      I also have seem so many players on two sites previous to this with a forum, who were  "The New Young Gun's"..and like Vegas itself, their 'dreams' went with whatever winnings had come their  way..
     My advice to anyone playing poker for fun and with a chance to win a tournament is this,
    "If you win it,   "Spend it" !!!  ..buy  a house , a car, a new coat for your lady, a new laptop, anything !!!    Just don't get thinking you've cracked the game and you'll use your win as a 'bankroll' to become a 'Pro'....99.99% of players who go down this road these days are destined to fail .

My reasoning is this: Back in the day before the inter-net, yes there were games that if you knew where to find them and you knew the players, with the right attitude and the ability to grind the profit would come....

Now I'm fully aware there are a lot of very good players who have been making massive amounts online, but as ive said before, overall ..with the amount of people who play online throughout the world, or if you like in the UK alone... the people who make a "LIVING" from the game would be less than 100th of a 1% ...  However,   Live poker that  % could be more, because I do know a   few players who still don't play online ..but make a steady profit in the big cash games....
    Ultimately  I would never say never, to anyone who has 'The Dream'..!! The Live game is a fabulous place to be, as for online ?   I'll stick to having fun and if I find a Hi Lo Omaha game that looks like it could get emotional, Ive been known to sit for an hour ...  :)  glk
  • edited November 2009

great post bennydip2,ive read somewhere that only 5% of players are winning players.totally agree spend your winnings dont keep them in your bank roll to fritter away .very sad to see people who have won apacket ,only to end up blowing the lot with nothing to show for it 

• edited November 2009
    Making money at cash is a real grind but as long as you manage your bankroll properly you will struggle to lose money even if you only have an average skill level. What I would say to the op is he needs at least 1K to play safely at those stakes.
  • edited November 2009
    bankroll is not a issue i started my sky account with £200 i have withdrawn £1000 and still have near £1000 om my account.
       i have seen pro players saying its not possible to show a profit playing low stakes (rake and variance), and i dont care what any1 says variance is higher at lower stakes.  I am a self imployed builder and this year has not been all that well and the extra income has come in handy
    i would like to thank everyone for your comments
  • edited November 2009

Higher stakes = More aggression = More variance.

If your a long term winner your a long term winner no matter about variance.

The lower the stakes, easier the opponents, so the games are easier to beat.

• edited November 2009

Obviously gonna get sucked out on more at the lower stakes due to the amount of morons putting their money in with 3rd pair or backdoor flushdraws time and time again but you need to embrace that because that's where your money comes from at the end of the day. I don't care what anyone says the lower stakes are by far the easiest and if you can't beat them regularly you shouldn't go anywhere near the higher ones. Walk before you can run!!!

• edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: CAN U MAKE A PROFIT WEEK IN WEEK OUT PLAYIN 25p/50p CASH : hats off to you Irishrover, I switch between cash and tournament. I know the style of play is different in both. I am thinking of concentrating on just one type. What do you suggest? My preference is tournaments.
    Posted by Urdadi
    well this is  just my thought ok ,

but i found cash tables to be recycled money ,

you win on a good night ,

and lose back the next and so on,

but the mtt games are easier to build a bankroll/profit in ,

you may break even or lose a little a few nights ,

but one good win can push you in to profit over that few days ,

i personally like to judge my game in a monthly time scale.

put i always try and be consistent on  my buy in amount ,

so in answer to your question i would say mtt deepstacks .

• edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: CAN U MAKE A PROFIT WEEK IN WEEK OUT PLAYIN 25p/50p CASH : well this is  just my thought ok , but i found cash tables to be recycled money , you win on a good night , and lose back the next and so on, but the mtt games are easier to build a bankroll/profit in , you may break even or lose a little a few nights , but one good win can push you in to profit over that few days , i personally like to judge my game in a monthly time scale. put i always try and be consistent on  my buy in amount , so in answer to your question i would say mtt deepstacks .
    Posted by IRISHROVER
    I would echo these sentiments and add that if you want to be profitable at cash you have to put the volume in. A few hundred hands a week isn't likely to cut it.
  • edited November 2009
    yes  u  can  like  ewpb   dont  leave  it  in   your  bank  i  cash out  once  a  week
  • edited November 2009
    bennydip and epwp
    With all due respect for whatever poker history you guys might have, this advice is horrible.

Play within a bankroll, build it up and when you're safely rolled for a level (like i say 30-40BI cash and 50-100BI for STT-MTT) then you can start cashing out your winnings.

People who dont play using BRM go broke.
  • edited November 2009
    i think you can, i play those tables as i adhere to my BRM! so far i am up not a great deal and worth hanging banners out over, but i am learning and playing for fun. So it's not a meaga serious thing for me ;)
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: CAN U MAKE A PROFIT WEEK IN WEEK OUT PLAYIN 25p/50p CASH : well this is  just my thought ok , but i found cash tables to be recycled money , you win on a good night , and lose back the next and so on, but the mtt games are easier to build a bankroll/profit in , you may break even or lose a little a few nights , but one good win can push you in to profit over that few days , i personally like to judge my game in a monthly time scale. put i always try and be consistent on  my buy in amount , so in answer to your question i would say mtt deepstacks .
    Posted by IRISHROVER

Sensible post from a proven winner. Check out sharkscope..........WTG rover.
  • edited November 2009
    bennydip and epwp
    With all due respect for whatever poker history you guys might have, this advice is horrible. Play within a bankroll, build it up and when you're safely rolled for a level (like i say 30-40BI cash and 50-100BI for STT-MTT) then you can start cashing out your winnings. People who dont play using BRM go broke.
    Posted by Deadluck

The advice from Benny isn't horrible. Benny and I have been around this game longer than most on here and we have seen the players come and go over many years. He isn't saying anything against good BR management. The point I think is that BR management isn't THE major factor in success. The ability to play poker is. Many, many thousands of players every year have, as Benny puts it ''the dream'' and it's understandable, but the reality is that less than 1% show a profit over a lengthy period. The other thing I have learned is that if you speak to poker players about profitability then 90% are profitable, and that just cannot be. The biggest factor in a players downfall is denial and I'm afraid it is an all too prevalent affliction with poker players.

Benny's advice was to play within your limits and that is sound advice from a survivor. BR management is important yes but staying within your limits will get you through the bad times. Bad runs can last months and even years and nobody's bank roll is that big. Play for fun, as Tikay reminds us all from time to time, poker is a rather insignificant pastime and should be enjoyed for what it is.

If you have 'the dream'' good luck, but you have been warned by people who have seen them come and seen them go.
  • edited November 2009

The .25/.5 cash tables on this site have more variance than the .5/1 tbls.  Persosnally I beleive that there are more people playing for fun at this level and are not to bothered about losing 20 or 30 quid or even 50 quid. 

I agree with deadluck and ajs as they both have solid arguments.  I also agree with benny and elsa - who can argue with the experience they have.  But playing live turneys for a living is completely different to multi tabling cash games online. 

Can you make profit week in week out? - Yes of course you can, but you can't if your playing for fun.  You have to adopt strict brm discipline as stated by deadluck.   I beleive you also have to be able to multi table with out losing focus.

I am no expert but these are the same comments I hear again and again from the analysts on sky, and read about in the poker magazines etc etc so those guys must know what they are talking about?