You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Honest appraisal of my play through the streets please

edited March 2012 in The Poker Clinic

the way my oponent played this hand made me think he was on some kind of draw but im really not sure whether i played this hand pretty well or whether its a bit fishy, an honest critique would be much appreciated :)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancewideangleSmall blind £0.25£0.25£30.00Chrissy_CBig blind £0.50£0.75£86.76 Your hole cards44   JimiAls1Fold    Die_hardRaise £1.50£2.25£54.88BigM19Call £1.50£3.75£70.24wideangleFold    Chrissy_CFold    Flop  310J   Die_hardBet £2.00£5.75£52.88BigM19Call £2.00£7.75£68.24Turn  2   Die_hardBet £6.00£13.75£46.88BigM19Call £6.00£19.75£62.24River  K   Die_hardBet £9.50£29.25£37.38BigM19Raise £21.00£50.25£41.24Die_hardFold    BigM19Muck    BigM19Win £36.95 £78.19BigM19Return £11.50£1.80£89.69

Comments

• edited March 2012
    some read that to think he was on a draw i think longterm this is a bad raise on the river if u think he had a draw y are u raising ? just call river bet 
  • edited March 2012
    i just hadn't seen him donk bet yet, everytime he had a had like top pair etc he'd always c/c out of position, the play just seemed a bit out of character. tbh i really dont like the way i played it, especially river raise, rush of blood to the head i think really
  • edited March 2012
    Depending on why you've made that bet, I don't think the re-raise on the river is terrible. If you've made that raise because you think your opponent was drawing, then flat call, there's no value in re-raising as you'll only get called by a better hand.

If you're making that re-raise because you think you can get your opponent to fold a hand which has you beat, then I don't think it's the worst play in the world, as there are hands which b/f on the river and have you beat.
  • edited March 2012
    I had qk lol.

WP :( but stop those rushes to the head.

Looking at that HH I'm surprised I didn't call, I just though the raise was weird at the time. Which was why I should've called haha.
  • edited March 2012
    No offense but just looks like spew to me.

Dont mind peeling one off flop, but when he fires second bullet we are mostly just winging it.  Raising river is turning our hand into a bluff.  If we feel like opponent was drawing and misses, flatting seems better.

As is (no offense Diehard) opponent gets there, leads out we raise for some reason - only a marginal amount - and oppo folds TPGK.  River is OBV a bad card, for our hand vs someone who had barrelled whole way.

Not sure if its a brag post.  We are crushed on river so often, our VB?? bluff??  is just going to get snapped a tonne of the time.

Fold turn,  Just in hero call territory.  Fine in the minority of spots with strong reads, but not as a rule.
  • edited March 2012
    If anyone else is commenting, with the hand played like that on that board, what can I beat with KQ except a bluff? Was it a bad fold? lol

(Yeah, it's a brag thread really lol :) )
  • edited March 2012
    not a great deal, but at over 5half/1 ought to be a call.
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Honest appraisal of my play through the streets please:
    i just hadn't seen him donk bet yet, everytime he had a had like top pair etc he'd always c/c out of position, the play just seemed a bit out of character. tbh i really dont like the way i played it, especially river raise, rush of blood to the head i think really
    Posted by BigM19
    He didnt donk bet, he had the betting lead.

• edited March 2012
    don't get this hand

if oppo is drawing why can't oppo have a sd :s

don't get the b/f on river, gotta be b/c or even c/c
  • edited March 2012
    The raise just confused me at the time lol (doesn't take much ;) )
  • edited March 2012
    fold flop, fold turn

I kinda like the river raise when he bets 1/2 pot. Raise />call imo, his draws sometimes hit that King
  • edited March 2012

Hi,

Thank you for your post,
    If you would like us to show your hand on tomorrows Poker Clinic, please do let us know the hand ID and which table its from as we can only show hands for tables with the TV icon.

All the best

TV Team

• edited March 2012
    BigM19, I both hate and love your play. Floating the flop and turn then raising this river is just so ballsy that I love it. I think it's not great EV but I love it.

Looking at it in terms of long term value, it's probably a big losing play. Bluffing the river is not so bad if you can fold out all those draws along with a ten or even a Jack with an unlikely weak kicker but the raise amount just isn't enough to fold out those made hands, most of the time. You offered him nearly 5/1 on his money to make the call and most of the time a Jack with any kicker will call this bet. Even worse; the King on the river is a card that hits some of those drawing hands that you're trying to fold out. KQ or the King high flush draw haven't made their draws but have backed into top pair. Even though Die_hard has apparently folded his KQ, very few players will lay down the King to this bluff.

If you want to bluff this hand then calling the bet on the flop, then raising on the blank turn looks really strong. You can fold out most flush or straight draws here with a decent raise and put pressure on some one-pair hands to allow you to barrell a blank river. Raising the river looks strong too but your raise size is only likely to fold out hands that you beat. Raise it more if you're determined to bluff here and you might get some of those tens to fold. Generally speaking, if you think your opponent is playing a drawing hand you shouldn't be waiting for the river to come before you try to push him off it. You're just giving him chances to hit.

I think the most advisable way to play this hand is just to fold to his c-bet on the flop. You went set-mining and missed, so don't dribble away more chips... but I do love ballsy poker. :)

Die_hard, I think it has to be a call. You're beating all the missed flush-draws (potentially including Kd) and 89 as well as chopping it with another KQ. With odds of nearly 5/1 it's got to be at least a break-even call. Though it's probably not one you can make with total confidence.