You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bad Call on Turn or Just a Bad Beat

edited March 2012 in The Poker Clinic
I am still relatively new to poker and spent many hours at 2p/4p upwards. First go at 15p/30p and within 5 mins this hand arrives. Any advice on how I played the hand would be appreciated, eg, Bet sizing etc. Should I have made the call on turn, I had oppo on flush draw.

Cheers,

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceTTayseerSmall blind £0.15£0.15£31.86daragh1980Big blind £0.30£0.45£50.28 Your hole cardsQK   lurchaRaise £0.60£1.05£24.02nustrdinFold    MR_D123Raise £1.20£2.25£26.86craigieboyFold    TTayseerFold    daragh1980Fold    lurchaCall £0.60£2.85£23.42Flop  95Q   lurchaCheck    MR_D123Bet £2.10£4.95£24.76lurchaRaise £9.15£14.10£14.27MR_D123Call £7.05£21.15£17.71Turn  3   lurchaAll-in £14.27£35.42£0.00MR_D123Call £14.27£49.69£3.44lurchaShow10J   MR_D123ShowQK   River  K   lurchaWinStraight to the King£47.89 £47.89

Comments

• edited March 2012
    3betting pre is fine as long as we are conciously isolating minner against blinds IP, rather than playing the strength of our hand - should be bigger though.

Prob re ship or fold flop read dependant.  He fires the bullet @ turn with 15% to get there n binks, what you gonna do? :p UL
  • edited March 2012
    I am struggling to see his first card.

It looks like the 10 of clubs to me. (Apologies if this isn't what he has)

If he has 10-J (both clubs) he is a 52% favorite against your hand despite you having his top pair. He has any 8, K or club. I count that as 15 outs twice (we can't consider you having one of these outs blocked)

The thing with this hand is that he doesn't want to be stuck in a position where he has jack high. He checks as with you raising preflop he probably expects you to bet and decides to reraise whilst he has good equity. He makes a good play here. If he bets out and you call its a disaster for him, his equity bleeds out to just over 30% on the turn so he is right to reraise and make it big here. The effect of this is to represent ridiculous strength whilst giving him the potential to catch up and win the hand if you are to call him. If you have a hand like KK or AA you might be nervous here. Your call on the turn which he bricks leaves his equity to drop, but when he has invested £11 in the hand, he is not going to fold and his stack is the right size to just ship it in. On the turn, you really have to call I think. You called his big raise on the flop and its not a scary card for you. The river is a bit unlucky, although on the flop it was a flip more or less.
  • edited March 2012
    Should probably be considering a fold on the flop here unless you have specific reads. He's representing huge strength on a drawing board. Your probably behind most of the time unless you have reads on his plays.