You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Few Tips?

edited March 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Recently turned 18 so I am now able to play online :)
I've have played for about 1 year playing home games etc.
I watch Sky Poker Tv and some poker shows, so I have a decent grasp.

Would like some tips on adapting to online play and just a few general tips.

Thanks
Paul

Comments

• edited March 2012
    In Response to Few Tips?:
    Recently turned 18 so I am now able to play online :) I've have played for about 1 year playing home games etc. I watch Sky Poker Tv and some poker shows, so I have a decent grasp. Would like some tips on adapting to online play and just a few general tips. Thanks Paul
    Posted by SilentChiv
    Nuts all in . owt less fold!!!!! Unless you got 2nd nuts of course.
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Few Tips?:
    Would like some tips on adapting to online play and just a few general tips. Thanks Paul
    Posted by SilentChiv
    Read the Poker Clinic regularly, and don't be afraid to make comments, or ask questions.

When you've played some hands, post up a few of your bigger losing ones, and ask for people's opinions.
    Good luck.
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Few Tips?:
    In Response to Few Tips? : Read the Poker Clinic regularly, and don't be afraid to make comments, or ask questions. When you've played some hands, post up a few of your bigger losing ones, and ask for people's opinions. Good luck.
    Posted by jakally
    Pretty much what i would say too. Use the clinic.

Also, what are you going to play? Cash? STT's? MTT's? How much you playing for? 

If you are playing cash at the bottom level and building from there check out DOHHHHHHH's micro stakes guide under poker school in my sky poker.
  • edited March 2012
    Don't get so upset if you lose a hand, learn to control tilt, learn bankroll management only play with what you can afford to lose.
  • edited March 2012
    You should probably start at 2/4p as you get used to playing online. I would put about £80 in your account if you can afford it. (this gives you 20 full buyins at 2/4p which is a healthish amount) Could get away with a bit less depending on how you start (think I only put a tenner in mine) and keep grinding away. Make sure you use the sky poker 30 days thing where you get £5 for every 75points you win in the opening month. Doing this and playing during the happy hours 1-2pm, 6-7pm and 11-12am I think they are gets you the points very quick.y

My advice playing cash

Start playing 1 table and progress from there

Always buy in for the maximum- you need to have the full buyin so you get the right implied odds off peoples stacks and you can double up or better if for example you flop a set.

Play position (you should know this from live play).

Make notes on the bad players using the notes tab. It is key to know who these players are for future reference. Have a piece of paper or a word document with their names on and you can't see the notes on players from the lobby area.

As others have said, be comfortable with the money you play and if its a lot for you, maybe wait till it doesn't feel as bad you losing it when you move up the levels.

When you get better you will want to play more than one table, but do this progressively. You should be able to play 3 or 4 without too many problems.

There isn't much more to say really.

Put some of your hands up, mainly the bad ones and we will try and help you out on here if we can.

Good luck
  • edited March 2012
    raise more than u call and fold more than u raise