You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Over-rated band of all time

edited November 2009 in The Shed
There are some bands that I just don't get. Not sure if it is me or the rest of the world that are wrong.

I think all these bands are highly over-rated. What do you think?

Comments

• edited November 2009
    i said the beatles,i just dont see what everyone else is seeing :(

i also think MJ is overated,just thought i would share that,lol.
  • edited November 2009
    Totally agree about MJ. About from a handfull of good songs in the 80's, yes I am that old to remember, he was rubbish.

also amazing how all the allegations have been forgotten since he died by the media.
  • edited November 2009
    U2.  'nuff said.
  • edited November 2009
    What your missing out on is when they were at the start of their carears they were, new, fresh, and radical for the time. In hindsight in this day and age, they will all look overrated. Put yourself back in time and you would all think they were the best thing since sliced bread. So IMO they are not overrated, although they do grate on you after 1000 plays on the radio.
  • edited November 2009

Yes Urdadi, MJ was rubbish barring five songs.

And Einstein wasn't very bright, Pavarotti didn't have much of a voice and Fred Astair had two left feet.

• edited November 2009
    u2 nuff said   only  best  live  band ever
  • edited November 2009
    none of those 4, maybe jedward :)
  • edited November 2009
    The Who for me all day long ;) never saw the appeal personally. The beatles are classed as great because of their longevity, Nirvana because Kurt cobain was classed as a genius and oasis i think just because Noel put up with Liam for so chuffin long!!
  • edited November 2009
    Out of those four in the poll, def Nirvana, never got it. Equally as Mr Magoo says, Coldplay - what are they on? - Similarly, anyone from the xfactor, complete c**p and absolutely no longevity. I remember back in the late 70's, The Police, i always thought they were overrated and then Sting went solo and my suspicions were confirmed.
  • edited November 2009
    I'd rather go creosote the garden fences than listen to any of these

Neil Diamond
    Phil Collins
    Rod Stewart
    Gareth Gates (would love to hear him try and cover Changes by Bowie) and all them xfactor monkeys.
    U2 (Bono is so far up his own aris, he could kiss his own tonsils)
    The absolute peak of over-ratedness is Madonna.

Nobody should be allowed to buy anything in the charts unless they first have a knowledge of the best of this lot.
    Dylan, The Stones, Neil Young, Floyd, Hendrix, Cream, The Band, Grateful Dead, Led Zep.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Over-rated band of all time:
    none of those 4, maybe jedward :)
    Posted by diablo_pez
    those two are the devil re-incarnated. normally I don't go in for the death penalty but would make an exception in their case.
  • edited November 2009

"I'd rather go creosote the garden fences than listen to any of these

Neil Diamond
    Phil Collins
    Rod Stewart
    Gareth Gates (would love to hear him try and cover Changes by Bowie) and all them xfactor monkeys.
    U2 (Bono is so far up his own aris, he could kiss his own tonsils)
    The absolute peak of over-ratedness is Madonna.
    "
    Posted by booboo69

I appreciate we probably have very different tastes in popular music booboo, but I think that's very harsh on Madonna.

Leaving aside everything you might think of her as a person, her ability to constantly re-invent herself as a pop artist over the years (and decades) is nothing short of astonishing. Especially if you consider it has been in an EXTREMELY fickle and ruthless industry. If MJ has been the king, Madonna can justifiably call herself the queen.

Phil Collins is also quality. 8- />
  • edited November 2009
    yeah i agree U2 iv never really got what the fuss was about...Coldplay and Snow Patrol should be up there..boring..weak...dont believe the hype!
    Posted by MrMagooo
    Agreed.  Snow Patrol just seem to follow the same formular when writing all their songs.  I can't see the appeal in them at all.  They just seem to be one of those bands write tunes so that they can be used on goal compilations on Sky Sports.
  • edited November 2009
    wwooo wwooo woooo , the beatles and nirvana are awsome!, bands like the who, status quo etc are over rated.
  • edited November 2009
    U2.  'nuff said.
    Posted by BeastieBoy
    Totally agree I have never seen the thrill of U2

Dave
  • edited November 2009
    I understand what you're saying Jinglema about Madonna, but she's awful in my opinion. I don't care anything about her or other acts as people, only what they produce as artists.
    Promo videos, make up, choreographers and stylists made her famous, Taking her singing ability (4/10) and songwriting ability (1/10) alone, which is all that should matter, she's very very weak.
  • edited November 2009
    I forgot about Madonna. She is rubbish. Never could sing was nice on the eye though in her youth.

How she has made a career is beyond me. Like a Virgin is like dragging fingers nails down a chalk board. There is hope for those two who cannot be named that are on X-Factor.
  • edited November 2009

Elton John

The beatles

The Rolling Stones

Bryan Adams.

Queen

Worst of all............  Cilla Black.

• edited November 2009
    Imagine being stranded on a deserted island with Garth Brooks and his sodding guitar and sodding cowboy hat.

I'd be throwing myself at the sharks within 3 seconds.
  • edited November 2009
    I can't be doing with all that New Romantic nonsense from the 80s either.

Duran Duran, Blancmange etc. All that lot, pathetic nonsense with no longevity.

Rap. I've never met anyone with an IQ into 3 figures who appreciates that garbage.

Every boyband ever churned out. They shouldn't even count as artists as they never play any instrument. Bubble gum for teenage girls.

That's the 80s through to today sorted. All rubbish really.

Can't believe nobody has mentioned that so and so James Blunt!
  • edited November 2009
    Maroon 5  !!
  • edited November 2009
    I can't be doing with all that New Romantic nonsense from the 80s either. Duran Duran, Blancmange etc. All that lot, pathetic nonsense with no longevity. Rap. I've never met anyone with an IQ into 3 figures who appreciates that garbage. Every boyband ever churned out. They shouldn't even count as artists as they never play any instrument. Bubble gum for teenage girls. That's the 80s through to today sorted. All rubbish really. Can't believe nobody has mentioned that so and so James Blunt!
    Posted by booboo69
    I'm so sorry, all of the bands/tosh you have listed above isn't even rated.

As such, by definition, it cannot be overrated.

Jmaes Blunt has the most painful name possible and will only ever be remembered for it's cockney rhyming slang definition.
  • edited November 2009
    i vote the beatles  ..i just dont get it..there were pure .ite...lololol
  • edited November 2009
    My actual answer was to vote for Oasis.
    I found it impossible to vote for The Beatles as Noel Gallagher has stolen so many melodies and riffs from the Beatles, it was impossible not to vote for them.
  • edited November 2009
    I agree about the comment regarding Oasis. As I am getting old my mind is not what it used to be and I forgot all about them. Couple of good songs and that was it.

I think I made a mistake only putting in 4 bands.
  • edited November 2009

I DIDNT GET THE BEATLES BACK THEN AND I STILL DONT . BUT I VOTED , WHO , 2/3 GOOD SONGS , . I THINK I WOULD RATHER WATCH THE ,, BAY CITY ROLLERS ,, LOL . I CAN ENJOY LISTENING TO OASIS ONCE A YEAR . NIRVANA ROCKS .

• edited November 2009
    I voted The Beatles.
    I was a young lad when they started and didn't like them then and still don't.
    Give me The Rolling Stones any day.
    The Who were OK but still not My cup of tea.
    Nirvana were only famous because of Kurt.
    Oasis were OK in the early days but went downhill after the first 3 albums.

As for Rap, I just cannot fathom why anyone listens to it. I can't understand a word they say.

Bring back the Disco hits of the 70's.