You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

A K keeps losing How do i play it

edited March 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Hope someone can help here,

Time and Time again i keep losing with AK I have tried Raising shoving and just calling but it seems to be getting out drawn every time, It does not matter what position i make a move it gets beat. can anyone advise the best way to play because i have tried everything i know, Thanks

Comments

• edited March 2012
    In Response to A K keeps losing How do i play it:
    Hope someone can help here, Time and Time again i keep losing with AK I have tried Raising shoving and just calling but it seems to be getting out drawn every time, It does not matter what position i make a move it gets beat. can anyone advise the best way to play because i have tried everything i know, Thanks
    Posted by rawhand
    Its OK worked it out!!!!! I don't play it lol
  • edited March 2012
    I'm not sure what your problem is with the hand.

When you say you are being drawn out. Do you mean this after hitting one of your cards. You have to remember even 3-2 off suit has 32% chance of winning against AK suited preflop.

If say you throw in a couple of other hands for example a pair of 5s, 10-9 off suit as well as the 2-3, you will only win the hand just a little over 1/3rd of the time (think its like 37%). The hands are not important, but its key that you remember you hand is just a high card a lot of the time and it is going to lose its fair share

What you do depends on the stacks and importantly whether its a cash game, a sit and go or a tournament.

With AK you have to be the original raiser preflop most of the time to have success. Your equity is larger in the hand because you win when you hit (put your opponent on AJ for example- an average hand a player might raise with) and you also win when they miss regardless of whether you hit or not assuming they don't reraise you with air.

You probably want to be c-betting whether you hit or miss. If they call you might want to slow down and check fold the river. Any bets you do make on these later streets, you really have to be sure that he is on a draw that he missed or he has something he cannot call with.

Its hard to help you though without seeing any examples. If you put a few up, then maybe people can analyse your play, but you definitely can't just not play them as it potentially is money not earnt and money earnt is money lost as the saying goes.