You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Good spot for a all in here or is this to aggresive?

edited March 2012 in The Poker Clinic
STEVE1937Small blind 20.0020.002475.00angie6108Big blind 40.0060.001960.00 Your hole cardsQA   fabz414Fold    wightprawnFold    jb840Raise 200.00260.001115.00BigRonnyCall 200.00460.003770.00STEVE1937Fold    angie6108All-in 1960.002420.000.00jb840All-in 1115.003535.000.00BigRonnyFold    angie6108Unmatched bet 685.002850.00685.00angie6108ShowQA  

Comments

• edited March 2012
  • edited March 2012
    Don't understand why you're shoving 50bb with aq here, not fine imo.

Are you hoping to get called?

Can't see anyone calling u here with worse than AJ so you're either in a race or dominated most of the time.
  • edited March 2012
    gota agree with bob.

• edited March 2012
    its not bb tho because jb only had 1.3k so its not 50 mbb shove when the guy called jbs raise i thought that was weak so i was setting jb all in 30 bb not 50 bb 
  • edited March 2012
    Yep super fine, possibly increase stack by 23% and even if called could be in very decent shape especially iif it's in a BH where they'll call all in pre with anything to 'take dat bounty'.
  • edited March 2012
    its 20/40 you have 2k = 50bb shove. So what if he called with less what if the other guy called who had you covered!!

Like I said if u want a call then expect to be in a race or dominated MOST of the time.
  • edited March 2012
    Yes 50bb is fairly deep and 3bet shoving over single raise would be bad but here you have dead money with button flatter so imo becomes a standard shove.

Other options are fold - too weak for me and call which again feels too weak plus you'll get owned too much post flop OOP when you miss.
  • edited March 2012
    Initial raiser only has 1100 back, we only have 1960. 

What are we going to do? 3bet to 550 - 650 to create a pot of 1400 - 1800 with 1400ish back when we play rest of hand oop? Pretty much auto ship

Pick up pot as is or force worse to call.  All our pf 3 bets create tricky spots post as do flatting if oppo wakes up with AK AA KK QQ.

Prob nisnt the exact line I take, but dont see anything wrong with it in Tplay
  • edited March 2012
    This talk about 30BB and 50BB is sort of missing the point. There's 460 in the pot and 1115 in your opponent's stack. What sort of raise are you going to make it, if not all-in? If you make it 500-600 you're committed anyway for the remainder of his stack.

This is a pretty straightforward shove to pick up the pot here most of the time. When we're called, we're only in bad shape against a few hands and at least 30% chance against everything except AA. We even dominate one or two hands like AJ or KQ that he might decide to gamble with... but mostly we just add 1/4 to our stack without a showdown. No problems with the play at all.
  • edited March 2012
      A lot of the talk here has been about the reraise size and what it means. But to me this is not even close to being the issue here. Any 3 bet in this situation needs to be an all-in.

The thing that most needs to be looked at is our opponent. He is relatively short stacked and has opened the action with an over raise from the cutoff. This tends to mean one of 2 things either he is just over aggressive and wants a gamble or he really likes his hand and wants to play for his entire stack.Overraising to 200 from 1315 is a big chunk indeed and will not lead to many flops where he will not be wanting to get it all in. So we can safely rule out most junky drawy type hands which leaves us with PP and big aces. Also we have to consider that he is not looking to overraise fold here so the squeeze play is not available to us. So the only real question is do we think he could be doing this with worse than AQ and to me that seems unlikely.

This leaves us thinking that we are likely to be racing at best or 30/70 in the pot. So now we come down to the important bit , knowing this is the likely outcome of the cards being turned over do you really want to be in this position. You are going to be risking two thirds of your stack here when you are sat 50bb deep on what is a race at best. If you are happy with this type of gamble then the three bet is the right option but if not not then the fold is the option. Calling is a no go because you will be out of position playing a hand when you are unsure of thesituation.

Waffled a bit but hope some of it makes sense

• edited March 2012
    Talon, you make alot of good points. Though I generally make a simple assumption about somebody making this 5x raise: They're not very experienced. I can't think of too many good, experienced players that would open for 5x in any circumstances.

I think that makes it pretty tough to assign him a range. I don't think this is necesarily a sign of AA, KK, QQ or any other big hand, since even beginners would realise that a big raise is just going to blow players out of the hand. It's just as likely to be a bet to simply take the pot down. I think assigning any great logic to the play is probably overestimating our opponent. On this occasion we see he called, so he's likely to have a strong hand, but I think that just as often we'll encounter players making this bet with 33, JQ and other non-premium hands. Bad players make bad bets.
  • edited March 2012
    played it fine angie, nh
  • edited March 2012
    Hi all thanks for all of your posts and talon like your post make alot of sense well i give you my view of the hand the guy who was in the cut of raised he was vary aggresive raiseing half the hands he had so i put him on a blind steal when the villain next to him just called i presume he just called because he knows the original raiser is playing varry aggresive so he can play a pot in position against him so my thought is i didnt think any of these players had to much so i thought was a great time to go all in and like most of you have said it adds 400 chips to my stack which is nice at this stage 
  • edited March 2012
    usually FE close to 0

usually btn fold

so decide is AQ good enough to go to war, getting slightly better than even money. Depends on villain