You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

2 x £21 HU hyper hands otr.

edited March 2012 in The Poker Clinic

Looking back on these 2 hands, they look more and more standard the more I think about them but just posting to double check.

Hand 1, are we shoving this river or checking back?

Can't really remember much about the villain other than his value bet sizes are generally too small and he misses alot of value in some standard spots. Doesn't really help here. 

1st/2nd hand of the game......
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
DOHHHHHHH Small blind  10.00 10.00 480.00
xxx Big blind  20.00 30.00 490.00
 Your hole cards
  • Q
  • A

DOHHHHHHH Raise  30.00 60.00 450.00
xxx Call  20.00 80.00 470.00
Flop

• Q

xxxCheck     
DOHHHHHHH Bet  60.00 140.00 390.00
xxxCall  60.00 200.00 410.00
Turn

xxx Check     
DOHHHHHHH Bet  120.00 320.00 270.00
xxx Call  120.00 440.00 290.00
River

• J

xxxCheck     
DOHHHHHHH
Hand 2, I flat pre because he has been opening alot and folding to 3bets.

I can't really make a raise without shoving with 14xbb to start the hand, so plan is to disguise my hand and check/call till he's committed on most boards.

Don't like the Ace obv, his cbet is standard it doesn't mean anything he isn't a nit so I call 1.

otr, should I be value betting or is check call best?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
xxx Small blind  15.00 15.00 555.00
DOHHHHHHH Big blind  30.00 45.00 400.00
 Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

xxxRaise  45.00 90.00 510.00
DOHHHHHHH Call  30.00 120.00 370.00
Flop

• A

DOHHHHHHH Check     
xxxBet  90.00 210.00 420.00
DOHHHHHHH Call  90.00 300.00 280.00
Turn

DOHHHHHHH Check     
xxx Check     
River

DOHHHHHHH Check     
xxx Bet  120.00 420.00 300.00
DOHHHHHHH

Comments

• edited March 2012
    Hand 1) prob bet bit less on turn 100ish and check back river

Hand 2) as played think im calling river although i cant think of what you beat, just you have way underepped your hand, with check on flop i probably bet out on turn dare i say it to find out where i am if your called or re-raised you know your not good prob c/f river 

The hand looks like either he has Ax, 8 x or total bluff i think he has trips but i cant fold as played
  • edited March 2012
    1st hand im checking the turn card and hope no diamond on river disguises you strong hand and with hypers very shallow stacks so check for pot control aswell    
  • edited March 2012
    Hand 1
    I would make turn bet sizing around the 120-140 mark. There are a load of pairs and straight/flush/combo draws to get value from. The river is the nut worst non diamond in the deck and can't really see much in ops range you would get value from.
    Hand 2
    Op could easily c/b the turn with Ax & 8x. Given the bet sizing on the river it is a c/fold. It could be a spot for a blocking/value bet of around 60-90. Value could be gained from ops 3x, 6x and 7s+, whilst reducing what you have to pay for showdown when beat.
  • edited March 2012
    Cheerz folks for replies.

Bit of a thread fail, as I thought initially they're probably quite standard.

Went through 500 HH's from my last session and these are the 2 most interesting hands I could find!!! Shows how standard most spots are in these.

fwiw I checked back hand 1 and saw Q2, & called hand 2 to see TT.

@ moobs, donk leading turn on A8x8 after check calling flop is abit mental don't you think? Range merging to get value from 99/TT/JJ/QQ? might have worked lol, but just wasting chips long term.

@ wason, appreciate the post. Agree with pretty much everything. Reason for calling the river in hand 2, other than me being a calling station, was his bet sizing, his record on skope (biggish loser) and the size of his river bet, 120 into 300.....

Agree it's a good spot for him to check back turn to try and get value otr, given that I have less than a psb left in my stack. I'm not saying his river sizing is bad, just trying to get into his head and think that type of player would bomb it with Ax and 8x. 

@idcu, have to disagree with checking the turn in hand 1. As wason said there are 17 thousand worse hands that can call us. We're also in position which helps so much on boards like that. W
  • edited March 2012
    On hand 1, I don't see much point value-betting the river. I don't think any one-pair hands would call on this sopping wet board. If you're betting you're turning your hand into a bluff to try to get rid of two-pair hands. That could work alot of the time and we can be confident that few players are checking the flush on the river, so we can reasonably assume that he's holding a hand that he's unsure of. With four-to-the-straight and three-to-the-flush on board, I think we only really need to worry about being called by an 8. I think most two-pair hands would fold to a reasonable bet and Kings are value betting the river most of the time. There could be an argument for this bluff being a better play than just checking it back.

On the second hand I think you've under-repped your hand so much pre-flop and by checking on the turn and river that he's going to be certain that you're weak. I don't think he's likely to check the turn with an Ace, having seen you call his flop bet; He'd just be missing an easy spot for value... So I think it's a straightforward call. If I was him I'd make this river bet with any two cards, confident that you're just going to fold. You've turned your KK into a bluff catcher.