You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

top tips for PLO

Comments

• edited March 2012
     What particular aspects of the game do you want to know about. I could easily right for an hour giving lots of tips without giving you what you need. So a clearer idea of what you want would help.
  • edited March 2012
    Looking forward to reading talons advice on plo when you give him a subject, always a great read
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: top tips for PLO:
     What particular aspects of the game do you want to know about. I could easily right for an hour giving lots of tips without giving you what you need. So a clearer idea of what you want would help.
    Posted by Talon
    on thing like hand selection and mtt in plo
  • edited March 2012
    Hand selection this is relatively easy.

The main thing required for a starting hand is quantity over quality.

As you know every starting hand has 6 2 card hands in it and you want as many of these to be live and nut drawing. For example a hand like AA94 rainbow has only one with AA, whereas TJQK ds has all six live and nutdrawing  i.e. TJ TQ TK JQ JK and QK. Although The AA hand would be ahead it has infinitely less chance of hitting the board and therefore winning. The TJQK hand has a lot more chance of hitting the board with either the made flop or picking up a big draw. the more nut drawing hands you have the more chance you have of hitting the board and therefore the more chance you have of winning.

The quality issue is the one that new players struggle with, just because you have a big PP doesnt mean you should be raising or reraising pre. You need back up to go with the big PPs like flush and straight possibilities.

Ideally you want to be looking at having 3-4+ nut drawing hands available before you want to be entering a pot. Hopefully this will answer the basic question for you
  • edited March 2012

Interesting post talon.  I hope Rob don't mind me hijacking..How do you rate/play starting hand K3cK3h i.e.1 x large pair & 1 x small pair suited.  (Could also be AA22 as well) I like to see a cheap flop to setmine/flush.  Whats your views on hands like these?
    pad

• edited March 2012
     these are fine hands to be playing because of the  2 PPs and the flushing possibilities. ideally you would want to be getting in cheap and hoping to hit big.

There are 2 major issues that can arise thought with these hands that you need to be very wary of. firstly you dont want to be calling away down the streets thinking that your overpair alone gives you any showdown value because even hitting a set on the river could lead to the completeion of a draw. Secondly ,and this is probably the harder one for nlhe players to grasp, setting up with the small pair can be very dangerous indeed. Set over set may be rare in HNLE but it is not in PLO. Also if you do house up with these small pairs then you will only ever have the underhouse which is too easily dominated by many potential holdings.

I would never recommend not playing these type of holdings but they should be played with caution down the streets to make sure you do not just bleed away your cash/chips.

One other point to mention on these flush type hands. If you pick up a flush draw(especially if it the nut one) you should be betting out with the draw as it gives you the 2 ways to win , by getting them to fold or by hitting. Also if you do hit it has also made sure that you are winning a bigger pot. You should always resist the urge to check call in this situation because you are only telegraphing your hand and this will result in loss of value when the draw comes in.