You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Angry with myself but did i do anything wrong is this a call on the river?

edited March 2012 in The Poker Clinic
i was going to value bet the river is this a good choice glad i didnt now tho i would of lost more is check calling best here ? cottladSmall blind £0.25£0.25£82.32angie6108Big blind £0.50£0.75£128.80 Your hole cards67   KING4QUEENFold    jacklFold    NOMADICUSRaise £1.50£2.25£48.87Boyler8Call £1.50£3.75£49.29cottladFold    angie6108Call £1.00£4.75£127.80Flop  826   angie6108Check    NOMADICUSCheck    Boyler8Check    Turn  7   angie6108Bet £3.00£7.75£124.80NOMADICUSCall £3.00£10.75£45.87Boyler8Fold    River  3   angie6108Check    NOMADICUSBet £10.75£21.50£35.12angie6108Call £10.75£32.25£114.05NOMADICUSShow9A   angie6108Muck67   NOMADICUSWinFlush to the Ace£30.63 £65.75

Comments

• ybyb
    edited March 2012
    fold or 3bet pre
    b/f river
  • edited March 2012
    I think you played it about right. unsure if a a re-raise pre would've shaken the villain, possibly a bet on the flop though as you had middle pair & four to the flush so if you aren't ahead you've got outs to put you ahead.

Charge 'em to come along & when that club doesn't fall on the river you take the pot. you should make your flush one time in three (ish)?
  • edited March 2012
    hello mum wheres (steve)donkcallu, not seen him around,missing his posts... but still got urs to read thro... 
  • edited March 2012
    I am here :) think u played it ok mum 1 thing i would do different i think this is a great flop for a donk lead out bet u have a pair and a flush draw u want to get the pot bigger with so many outs but as played think u have to call of the river bet it seems unlikely the villain hits runner runner here so its a profitable call long term imo 
  • edited March 2012
    I think you played it mostly correct here.

The common thing is to check to the raiser and reraise here. This is a massive flop for you with the pair and the flush draw and with him raising preflop, you might put him on high cards here. Even a hand like AA is not in fantastic shape against your hand. The problem is the flop is sopping wet and its not likely to have hit him so he could check behind the flop like he did. Most of the time you don't want to bet and then have him call and leave you unsure exactly where you are. You would have second pair and a weak kicker (looking past the fact you turn 2 pair for the minute).The check raise just would shrink his hand even if he has AA/KK. He might fold a hand like 99s here with the big raise because he knows there are not a lot of turn cards that can improve his hand as your bets keep gettting bigger. With the turn card as well he is going to be nervous going into any river.

I think you should think about board composition. Its not a given someone is going to c-bet 100% of the time and when the flop is very dangerous like this one, they may check and re-evaluate the turn. Normally I would advocate the check raise, but  (and its easy for me to say this with hindsight) I would just think about getting money into the pot whilst you have large equity in the hand. As it is you are way in front on the flop. If he has a hand like AK and you lose a bit of money earned here you maybe have to take it on the chin that you denied him a chance to bluff. Its not easy this hand because as you see from the hands you are never going to stack him here from this flop. You bet and he will just fold. He would probably think he is not going to stack you either. If the turn came an Ace he is still going to be cautious I think. I'd just bet 3/4s of the pot here as a donk bet and be looking to go to war if he reraises. Its not conventional, but there are so few hands you are fearing except a set or any two pairs which kill a lot of your outs. You don't want your second pair to become third pair here with an Ace or King etc on the turn. This way you either take it down and grudgingly win a small pot or you run into AA or KK etc and you get reraised and potentially win a big hand. His hand would fall into the former category where you can think, "well at least I didn't get stacked"

On the turn he is up and down and has a flush draw. With you betting a good 2/3s of the pot he has to call because this bet suggests you are strong here, but his draws all crack your hand and potentially win him a big pot. His odds are not fantastic with one card to come, but the reward is big here.

The river is just horrible for you. I like that you check called for damage limitation. Not sure if this was a pot limit table, but I think with the dangerous board you did well to get to showdown as cheap as you could. It could have been worse.
  • edited March 2012
    Thanks for the post ballboy u have made some good and intresting points i shouldnt be to harsh on myself really i have lost the minimum like you have said it could of been alot worse if i bet the river 
  • edited March 2012
    Hi,

Thank you for your post,
    If you would like us to show your hand in tomorrows Poker Clinic Show please do let us know the Hand ID and the table its from, as we can only show hand with the TV icon.

Kind Regards

TV Team