You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Could i have played this different + am i favourite on this flop vs this guy tight to call?

edited March 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Had lots of outs and villain could of folded me putting pressure on i put him on this kind of hand and try and get him to fold any 1 know the percentages for me to win  on this flop ? spam600Small blind 75.0075.003962.50IDONKCALLUBig blind 150.00225.005585.00 Your hole cards8K   LouchRaise 300.00525.004927.50spam600Call 225.00750.003737.50IDONKCALLUCall 150.00900.005435.00Flop  457   spam600Check    IDONKCALLUBet 600.001500.004835.00LouchAll-in 4927.506427.500.00spam600Fold    IDONKCALLUAll-in 4835.0011262.500.00IDONKCALLUUnmatched bet 507.5010755.00507.50IDONKCALLUShow8K   LouchShow99   Turn  5   River  Q   LouchWinTwo Pairs, 9s and 5s10755.00 10755.00

Comments

• edited March 2012
    I'm sure that other people will come up with stove numbers, but with 15 outs against a one-pair hand you're a favourite. Not sure exactly how big a favourite.

That's not to say I like the call. If you're putting him on a hand like 99 then why can't he have 77, 55 or 44 for the set? He could have 88 to take away three or four of your outs. What reason do you have to narrow down his range so much to these hands? What's your reason for ruling out AK, AQ, etc from such limited betting action?

I think when he moves it in, calling off your stack on a draw - especially draws that aren't to the nuts - is always bad without extremely inviting pot odds.
  • edited March 2012
    Fold pre.

On flop I don't like donk bet always gets you in these sort of spots where you have to call of with a draw. Much prefer checking to him let him bet then shove with the draw.

As played got to fold as you don't even have NFD so could be really thin, plus you have 32bbs which is pretty massive at this blind level.
  • edited March 2012
    understand what u say dudeskin if i check raised tho villain would of gone all in with me so makes the difference where as my lead out i could of taken the pot down agreed i should of folded preflop flop extra 150 to call but yeah not liking anthing on flop unless i hit 2 pairs because if king comes down i dont know where i am so yip agreed a mistake calling preflop should of folded 
  • edited March 2012
    Oh yeah, absolutely it should be a fold pre-flop. Calling to play K8, out of position is not advisable. The pot odds of 5/1 don't make up for the weakness of your hand and the trickiness of playing out of position. Even when you get lucky and hit a massive flop it's tough to get value, out of position. Most of the time you'll just check-fold and sometimes you'll get carried away, having hit a little piece of the flop, and you'll lose alot more than you should.

Calling spots like this pre-flop is a big leak. Normally I'd say "position, position, position" but you need to look at your pre-flop calling range too. Calling with K8, pre-flop is pretty bad in any position.
  • edited March 2012
    fold or raise pre

either c/f or crai flop

You definitely have to call it off with pot odds. Id estimate you have about 48% v 9c9x, even if its a good bit less its a call.
  • edited March 2012
    Well he's only getting the right odds to call if he knows the opponent has 99. His opponent could be playing a set or the Ace-high flush-draw or even a made flush. 3/2 pot odds don't look good against those hands.
  • edited March 2012
    I agree with most, you've got the odds IF you 100% know he has 99 but too many times he could have a set, the nut flush draw, the nut flush, the straight, two pair, even A8 so the OESD and he's ahead with his high card. All you know apart from the shove is that he's min-raised on the button at the stage where it's worth raising the button alot as blinds increase so there's no way you can be very specific when putting him on a hand.