You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Horrible spot facing a massive bet on the river

edited March 2012 in The Poker Clinic
What does everyone think. Is this a call? or did I make the right decision?

i think on the river I was initially thinking of checking behind with there being a pair on the board and a possible flush as well. There are a lot of semi bluffs he could be making as well if he has a hand like 7-8 or some kind of 2 pair. I think given I have AA and bet big on both streets its probably the right move to win big. Its all about winning big pots and he probably thought his big bet was being called.

Comments

• edited March 2012
    Arteta4 Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £8.65
    FLOOK Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £6.17
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

al4jon26 Call   £0.10 £0.25 £14.45
    JINTY Call   £0.10 £0.35 £17.99
    coko72 Fold        
    ballboy Raise   £0.40 £0.75 £8.80
    Arteta4 Fold        
    FLOOK Fold        
    al4jon26 Call   £0.30 £1.05 £14.15
    JINTY Fold        
    Flop

al4jon26 Check        
    ballboy Bet   £0.70 £1.75 £8.10
    al4jon26 Call   £0.70 £2.45 £13.45
    Turn

al4jon26 Check        
    ballboy Bet   £1.84 £4.29 £6.26
    al4jon26 Call   £1.84 £6.13 £11.61
    River

al4jon26 Bet   £6.13 £12.26 £5.48
    ballboy Fold        
    al4jon26 Muck        
    al4jon26 Win   £5.67   £11.15
    al4jon26 Return   £6.13 £0.46 £17.28
  • edited March 2012
    Looks good to me, called for flush and bets out knowing you could well check behind.

Anything you beat will usually check to you.
  • edited March 2012
    I don't think you raised enough pre-flop. I think you need to try to get it heads-up to the flop and you'll get more value if you raise just a little more. Yes, I see that you did get it heads-up with the raise to 40, but I think most of the time you'll get both limpers calling. I'd make it just a little bit more; probably between 50p and 60p.

Aside from that one little quibble, the question is about the river. I think we can assume there aren't many 4's in his range, apart from 44, so what could he be making this bet with? I actually think the play looks more like a flopped set than a flush. I think his effective shove on the river looks like he's hoping that YOU have hit the flush on the river and will pay him off. Most players won't wait until the river to make a bluff. I think we can be confident that 9T isn't going to check-call the turn and then shove this river that's so terrible for his hand and 9T is probably the best hand we can beat.

It could be a lunatic making a wild bluff with air but you'd need significant reads to believe that. Even then I think you should still fold and tap the table. It's just so unlikely to be a bluff. Straights, flushes, houses and quads are more likely... and two pair hands would surely be terrified by this river.
  • edited March 2012
    mr dealer sir. i bet POT. expert.

.....Fold
  • edited March 2012

Hi,

Thank you for your post,
    If you would like us to show this hand on tomorrows Poker Clinic Show, please let us know the hand ID and also which table its from, as we can only show hands from tables with the TV icon.

Kind Regards

TV Team.