You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Shortstacked in latter stages of an MTT

edited November 2009 in Hold'em Poker Strategy
I hear time and time again that when you reach the latter stages of an MTT and the blinds are about to eat you up (ie you have 6-12BB's left) you should shove any sort of a decent holding. This is a strategy I firmly embrace but the problem I'm having is doing it UTG. I am becoming inclined to fold 22-55 and QJo,K10,A8 etc from this position now simply because there is almost always someone with a better hand behind me which makes sense considering everyone but me is left to act. Is this still a losing strategy though considering my stack?

Comments

• edited November 2009
    Hi nagrom

Your probelm is as you have said, you are scared to get your chips in because you percieve that someone has a better hand than you you remember your loses), you really cannot worry about it, if you get your chips in first, you have 2 chances 1 they will fold, or 2 you go into a flip situation, more often that not you will be infront and even if you dont you still have the chance to outdraw, dont forget they will only hit 1 time out of 3, there is a fair chance you will be called by overcards and will be favourite when you have a pair to win tournies you need to win these and will, but of course you are going to lose as well, thats poker.

Hope this makes sense and helps

Good luck at the tables, just dont beat me ;)
  • edited November 2009
    Cheers Barry, thanks for re-afirming that.  I guess it's just being out of position and pushing these hands as I'm almost doing it as a semi-bluff because I don't want called as most likely I will be 50-50 at best. Would you still justify pushing these hands even if your opponents had seen you try the same thing 2 or 3 hands in succession?
  • edited November 2009
    thing  is  as  well   when  your  short   stack   going  get  called  all  the time  by  the   big  stacks  so u need an  average hand  to  push  with
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Shortstacked in latter stages of an MTT:
    I hear time and time again that when you reach the latter stages of an MTT and the blinds are about to eat you up (ie you have 6-12BB's left) you should shove any sort of a decent holding. This is a strategy I firmly embrace but the problem I'm having is doing it UTG. I am becoming inclined to fold 22-55 and QJo,K10,A8 etc from this position now simply because there is almost always someone with a better hand behind me which makes sense considering everyone but me is left to act. Is this still a losing strategy though considering my stack?
    Posted by nagrom
    The problem with this "strategy" is that there is a HUGE HUGE difference between 6 & 12 BB's

With 6BB I shove all the hands you listed UTG (assuming this is an MTT)

With 12BB's 6 handed it's a little tighter, ATs AJo+, 66+ feels a little bit better. It might be any pair this is just off the top of my head.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Shortstacked in latter stages of an MTT:
    Cheers Barry, thanks for re-afirming that.  I guess it's just being out of position and pushing these hands as I'm almost doing it as a semi-bluff because I don't want called as most likely I will be 50-50 at best. Would you still justify pushing these hands even if your opponents had seen you try the same thing 2 or 3 hands in succession?
    Posted by nagrom
    Hi

hmmmmm, this is going to depend on a few things, what is your table image?, have you been tight?, aggro?, if you have been tight you have a lot better chance of getting a push through, similarly what have the other palyers been like?, I think the more times you push, the more likleyhood you will get a caller because they will think, hang on hes done this a few times now, surley he cant have had a hand this many times, but I have been in a position when I have had, nice being a card rack:) so long as you can get enough to "pay the rent" your ok, and defo do not overbluff, maybe even mix up your play a bit.

Hope this all makes sense and helps

Good luck
  • edited November 2009
    i like to limp with small pocket pairs and go into the flop set minded.Obviously this cant be done in later satges and i would fold to a raise on most occations.I just fold thos K10 and A8 hands because they are not worth the risk from UTG.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Shortstacked in latter stages of an MTT:
    i like to limp with small pocket pairs and go into the flop set minded.Obviously this cant be done in later satges and i would fold to a raise on most occations.I just fold thos K10 and A8 hands because they are not worth the risk from UTG.
    Posted by namesb0nd
    thanks all, I don't think it's right to limp with small pp's late on your right bond. Thanks for your help too as I've seen you in the later stages on the telly recently so obviously you know what you're doing ;) haha
  • edited November 2009
    I tend to say go for it.  some you win some you don't. if I go all in and get called then I will either double up or be out. If out then fine always next time. If I hit then I am in a good position to take it forward.
  • edited November 2009
    Noticed in bounty hunters that you can wait a little longer for that premium hand. Alot of large stack players will risk less than great hands to try and pinch your bounty. Straight all in is my advice.