You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is the jam OK here?

edited March 2012 in The Poker Clinic
My exit from tonights main event after 4 hrs of play, table had tightened up as everyone had big enough stacks to damage each other.  The guy utg had been pretty active but not crazy, I was putting him on AK, AQ, AJ possible KQ range.

Question I guess is out of position, given my read do we prefer a jam pre or a flat and then jam any flop with no A or K?

I know in this particular situation it doesn't matter as he's probably calling a shve on this flop anyway, but I mean generally in this spot?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Slykllist Small blind  1250.00 1250.00 31515.48
69winsalot Big blind  2500.00 3750.00 57933.13
 Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

BenAces Raise  5000.00 8750.00 40060.00
goldenb238 Fold     
panderys1 Fold     
super_fly Fold     
Slykllist All-in  31515.48 40265.48 0.00
69winsalot Fold     
BenAces Call  27765.48 68030.96 12294.52
Slykllist Show
  • J
  • J

BenAces Show
  • K
  • A

Flop

Turn

River

BenAces Win Flush to the Ace 68030.96  80325.48

Comments

• edited March 2012
    So if you go for the stop and go, are you check-folding on any board with an Ace, King or Queen? What about the times he has TT and c-bets the Ace-high flop?

I think, more importantly, that you need to have an appreciation of the value of the dead money to your stack. Add 8750 to your 31515 stack and you should be very happy. I think at this stage of a tournament an opening min-bet represents a broad range of hands for most players: Anything from JT+ and any pocket pair. We're ahead of that range, most of which will fold to our raise. Those hands that call our raise could include AQ, AK or a pair from 99+, so we like a call from some hands too.

I don't like a stop and go since we're paying 1/6 of our stack for the call and putting our faith in the flop to not bring an overcard and that will happen 50% of the time. Even if it doesn't bring an overcard, the stop and go still loses our stack if they're holding QQ, KK or AA and means we don't get paid by AK, AQ or AJ. That might sound like we're being results-oriented but if I gave you a flop of 6,2,9 and told you your opponent had AK, would you really still want to shove on them? Do you want them to fold their 6-outer without getting more value? It also gives our opponent the chance to outdraw us with weaker hands than JJ and that's a chance we don't need to give them.

Shove pre-flop and be happy if you take down the dead money. If you're called, you still could be flipping or even in front.
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Is the jam OK here?:
    So if you go for the stop and go, are you check-folding on any board with an Ace, King or Queen? What about the times he has TT and c-bets the Ace-high flop? I think, more importantly, that you need to have an appreciation of the value of the dead money to your stack. Add 8750 to your 31515 stack and you should be very happy. I think at this stage of a tournament an opening min-bet represents a broad range of hands for most players: Anything from JT+ and any pocket pair. We're ahead of that range, most of which will fold to our raise. Those hands that call our raise could include AQ, AK or a pair from 99+, so we like a call from some hands too. I don't like a stop and go since we're paying 1/6 of our stack for the call and putting our faith in the flop to not bring an overcard and that will happen 50% of the time. Even if it doesn't bring an overcard, the stop and go still loses our stack if they're holding QQ, KK or AA and means we don't get paid by AK, AQ or AJ. That might sound like we're being results-oriented but if I gave you a flop of 6,2,9 and told you your opponent had AK, would you really still want to shove on them? Do you want them to fold their 6-outer without getting more value? It also gives our opponent the chance to outdraw us with weaker hands than JJ and that's a chance we don't need to give them. Shove pre-flop and be happy if you take down the dead money. If you're called, you still could be flipping or even in front.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Hey, you might be new here but that's blindingly good and resoned advice - thankyou for taking the time.
  • edited March 2012
    You have 12bbs and JJ, you don't have a decision here.
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Is the jam OK here?:
    You have 12bbs and JJ, you don't have a decision here.
    Posted by Dudeskin8

This. Easiest jam ever.

• edited March 2012