You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

fold the aces?? should i of played the hand different?

edited March 2012 in The Poker Clinic

here is hand history, only played a few hands with opponent, villain is unknown to me has won a few pots without showdown seems semi competent at least and not a total fish so should i call now  ?
i thought about clicking it back on flop and folding to push since we are a bit  deep ,im not in habit of folding aces at these stakes but with action so far i feel aces r beaten here 

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancebrikblockSmall blind £0.05£0.05£25.53EUREKABig blind £0.10£0.15£14.71 Your hole cardsAA   weedgiRaise £0.30£0.45£30.71basty2010Fold    brikblockCall £0.25£0.70£25.28EUREKAFold    Flop  3610   brikblockCheck    weedgiBet £0.53£1.23£30.18brikblockRaise £1.85£3.08£23.43weedgiCall £1.32£4.40£28.86Turn  4   brikblockBet £3.30£7.70£20.13weedgiCall £3.30£11.00£25.56River  8   brikblockAll-in £20.13£31.13£0.00

Comments

• edited March 2012

I don't hate calling the flop. If we 3-bet on this dry board we're giving away the strength of our hand and will fold out all bluffs and a few one-pair hands. I hate clicking it back (min-raising unless we differ on the meaning) under any circumstances. If you're going to raise make it a proper raise either for value or to protect our hand. Min-betting rarely gets maximum value when our opponents are prepared to call a raise and doesn't protect our hand against drawing hands. It also risks giving our hand away to players who have experience playing against us unless we do it with a wide range of hands. It's just a bad idea.

Having called the flop, I think we should raise the turn and be prepared to get it all-in. The board is still extremely dry and he's showing alot of interest. Any raise we make is realistically going to commit us to the hand, so we have to be ready to go broke. If he has flopped the set I think we're just unlucky but there's just not enough on that board to be afraid of since there are so few two-pair hands in his pre-flop calling range. More likely he has a top-pair hand and we don't need to let an overcard or other scare card come on the river to lose our value from his hand. He's unlikely to triple barrell top-pair on the river anyway. We might get him to fold with a raise here and if he shoves on us we might be forced to call it off while behind but I think that's how I'd play it. Make it £8.50 and if he calls our raise, we'd be pretty confident in our hand. Don't be afraid of the set...

Now, having called the turn, he shoves an overbet in on the river. Typically players are doing this with a big hand so here's what I would do:
    Shout "Oh come on!! Are you kidding me?! REALLY!?" at the screen, stomp your feet and throw some things around the room... That's my advice for the river. Hope it helps. :)

• edited March 2012

Only joking. On the river there are so few missed draws for him to be bluffing or for him to believe we could be playing. This means his bet is unlikely to be an attempt to blow us out of the pot and is probably a value bet. I don't think a bare Ten is likely to shove the river here too often, as they'll go for a more conventional bet or, more often, a check-call. So I imagine that our AA is beaten on the river and I sob as I click the fold button.

It could be a wild triple-barrell bluff but that's very brave and not too likely.

• edited March 2012
    As played, I think it's an easy fold.. I don't think you can call off 200bb with 1 pair on the river without a lot of information on your opponent. He's check/raised a really dry flop, bet the turn and shoved the river, it's such a strong line that I think your one pair (even though it is AA) is never, ever any good here.

My money is on a set of 3's or 6's :)
  • edited March 2012
    The fact it's so deep changes this so much, 250bbs effective before you see a flop which is pretty huge at this level so either a Mastercash table or he's been wining some pots. 

His check raise on flop is also quite chunky so looks like he wants paying but IP a call is fine.

Turn he bets strong again 75% so probably have to make decision here either way as calling means you think he's bluffing or overplaying a 10 massively and hence have to call most river bets, fwiw would you have called say an £8 bet on the river?

As played though his shove is either an insane bluff or more likely a set that thinks you can't fold, for me has to be a fold.
  • edited March 2012
    yes thanks for responses i did fold the aces  felt opponent new i had overpair  and hoped i couldnt fold em  board so dry  had to be set  but i will never know  )
  • edited March 2012
    i would of probablly called a normal size river bet 1/2 to 3/4 pot maybe ,in this spot im usually just callin down for pot control
    , can i fold on turn ? nah not without  some history would be way too nitty surelly??
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: fold the aces?? should i of played the hand different?:
    i would of probablly called a normal size river bet 1/2 to 3/4 pot maybe ,in this spot im usually just callin down for pot control , can i fold on turn ? nah not without  some history would be way too nitty surelly??
    Posted by weedgi
    As long as you have a plan for the river it's ok, as you know he's betting again a good percentage of the time so have to call any normal bet on this river, as it is he shoves so kills his action but a 50-75% bet would have been snapped off pretty quickly I presume ?
  • edited March 2012
    Yeah, you can't fold the turn having only called the flop. His range is just too wide here - 7T, 8T, 9T, JT, QT, KT, AT and all bluffs are betting this turn - and we're still only afraid of a very small number of hands, which are only sets. Folding is definitely too tight, so raise or call. We're allowed to go broke on the turn if we raise but, if we call, we're never going to be able to get our stack in on the river unless we're beaten.