You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

£15k BH - Good move, or just spewy?

edited March 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Sent this in to the show tonight but hand unfortunately wasn't shown - Thoughts on this move please?

Hand History #489546458 (20:32 08/03/2012)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
EvilPinguSmall blind 50.0050.002520.00
mucka44420Big blind 100.00150.004691.25
 Your hole cards
  • J

craib1989Call 100.00250.001856.25
k12pltFold    
IGUANAKIDCall 100.00350.003038.75
taxi786786Call 100.00450.004133.75
EvilPinguAll-in 2520.002970.000.00
mucka44420Fold    
craib1989Fold    
IGUANAKIDFold    
taxi786786Fold    
EvilPinguMuck    
EvilPinguWin 500.00 500.00
EvilPinguReturn 2470.000.002970.00

Comments

• edited March 2012
    I think with the fact it's a BH and there are no antes, pretty spewy. They will call you with JTs loads here and then you're like...oh.
  • edited March 2012
    Dont love it, dont hate it.

For me, i'd rather flat getting 10/1 n flop a whopper multi way.

But there are certainly pro's to the move
  • edited March 2012
    Because it's a bounty hunter this is so high variance as most bad players don't like limp folding and if they have ANY sort of hand they'll snap you off quick time to 'take dat bounty'. 

25bbs in any MTT is plenty so IMO you can wait a good while till this move needs to be made, on a side note though if you have AK/AQ even AJ and medium to high pairs I don't mind it.
  • edited March 2012
    I like it. There are 450 chips in there that nobody seems to want. By limping in they're not showing any strength at all and, overwhelmingly often, their logic for doing so is simply that they want to see a cheap flop. Admittedly on a very few ocassions some people limp monster hands under the gun but most of the time this won't be the case. Unless we're really unlucky and the BB wakes up with a big hand this bet gets through so often that it's definitely a good move.

I appreciate what Dudeskin's saying about Bounty Hunter but I don't think any reasonable player is going to limp with a hand that they're willing to call off their stack with.
  • edited March 2012
    In the biggest donkament ever to exist this is tournament suicide.
  • edited March 2012
    They'd have to be such massive fish, I mean like blue-fin tuna, for this not be a profitable play. Sometimes you'll get caught out by one of those fish but this gets through so much more often that it just has to be good play... It just has to be... surely...
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: £15k BH - Good move, or just spewy?:
    I like it. There are 450 chips in there that nobody seems to want. By limping in they're not showing any strength at all and, overwhelmingly often, their logic for doing so is simply that they want to see a cheap flop. Admittedly on a very few ocassions some people limp monster hands under the gun but most of the time this won't be the case. Unless we're really unlucky and the BB wakes up with a big hand this bet gets through so often that it's definitely a good move. I appreciate what Dudeskin's saying about Bounty Hunter but I don't think any reasonable player is going to limp with a hand that they're willing to call off their stack with.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    I take it you've never played one of these lol
  • edited March 2012
    They'd have to be such massive fish, I mean like blue-fin tuna, for this not be a profitable play. Sometimes you'll get caught out by one of those fish but this gets through so much more often that it just has to be good play... It just has to be... surely...
    Posted by BorinLoner
     No
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: £15k BH - Good move, or just spewy? : I take it you've never played one of these lol
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Online, I think I've played one... about a year ago. lol

Well, in a regular tournament this is good. Dudeskin, I hope that your perception of play in these tournaments is being skewed by one or two incidents, rather than this being the norm. Hopefully...
  • edited March 2012
    in my experience you'll get snap called by any pair
  • edited March 2012
    Generally its a good play as it appears evrybody else is weak and you increased your stack by 20% but if Id have limped utg with a pair I would call you as I read you as weak. If you had a big pair aa kk qq your far more likely to 3x reraise (if you had have done that I would lay down most pairs to you as i would percieve your hand to have been significantly stronger than j 9 off).  However you should also factor in that in these tournaments many donkeys with call you with average range hands like j 10 k j and kq to which your behind and dominated
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: £15k BH - Good move, or just spewy? : Online, I think I've played one... about a year ago. lol Well, in a regular tournament this is good. Dudeskin, I hope that your perception of play in these tournaments is being skewed by one or two incidents, rather than this being the norm. Hopefully ...
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Do you ever watch the shows on the channel, just yesterday they showed highlights, limp, limp, limp with ATC, the standard is atrocious. However that is a GOOD thing but it doesn't mean we need to take risks like this when they will pay us off so easy in better spots. 

Basically treat BH's like NL4 but even worse as calling you off 'gets dem dat bounty' not just 4 bob. 
  • edited March 2012
    in my experience you'll get snap called by any pair
    Posted by simonnatur
    This. Limp calling is just such a poor play IMO.It's not good enough to raise but good enough to call an all in. Makes no sense to me.
    bazbazbaz Small blind   300.00 300.00 25511.25
    RUNITSRANN Big blind   600.00 900.00 11508.00
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • Q

karlluke Call   600.00 1500.00 17421.00
    Mohican All-in   9639.75 11139.75 0.00
    henners10 Fold        
    bazbazbaz Fold        
    RUNITSRANN Fold        
    karlluke Call   9039.75 20179.50 8381.25
    karlluke Show

Mohican Show
    • A
    • Q

Flop

• K
    • K

Turn

River

karlluke Win Two Pairs, Kings and 4s 20179.50   28560.75
  • edited March 2012
    Generally its a good play as it appears evrybody else is weak and you increased your stack by 20% but if Id have limped utg with a pair I would call you as I read you as weak. If you had a big pair aa kk qq your far more likely to 3x reraise (if you had have done that I would lay down most pairs to you as i would percieve your hand to have been significantly stronger than j 9 off).  However you should also factor in that in these tournaments many donkeys with call you with average range hands like j 10 k j and kq to which your behind and dominated
    Posted by pacificjoe
    A few issues here:

1) Would you really call with, let's say, 66 and two players still to act behind you? Are you really limping to call for your stack, just hoping that you're in a coin-flip and not crushed?

2) How can someone ever make it a 3x raise when there have already been three limpers? The pot is 450 now and a 3x raise would make it 700. Now the BB - or the first limper if the BB folds - has 7/2 odds on his call and every subsequent limper has even better odds. You'll achieve nothing with a 3x raise except to inflate a pot for the flop, which you will have to play out of position with multiple players behind you. That's a nightmare scenario with any hand but especially AA or KK.

3) This one's for Dudeskin: Yeah, I watch the channel all the time. I do see lots of players limping, but I don't see too many examples of them limp-calling for stacks. Even when I do; it's a TV channel, of course they're going to show the interesting, quirky (crazy) hands. I usually assume that these hands are not commonplace in the tournament. Perhaps that's wrong, but I'd have to play a few of them to be convinced.
  • edited March 2012
    Main reason you don't see someone calling off after limping is because the WHOLE table is limping lol

I don't play many of these myself as I prefer Deepstacks but whenever I do it's exactly the same limp, limp, flat MASSIVE raises OOP etc, sometimes you get the rebuy ones where guys liturally just go AI ATC again and again and just spend about £30 in say a £3.30 touney lol