You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

AK suited late on in MTT, facing 2 allins

Hi poker purists!

Situation: 10 remain in a 600+ runner MTT, 5 min blinds (i'm in 5th or 6th i think) with 10 x BB

Player info: "Ferguson" has been VERY tight, we are in shove or fold mode yet he has been continually making up the small blind and folding to a raise, or check folding the flop if he sees the flop

I'm dealt AK suited in the small blind

"Durrrrrr" goes allin (about 8 x BB) UTG and obviously I was going to call, then "Ferguson" mucks up my thinking by also going allin (BUTTON, about 9 BB)....for some reason I put him on KK or AA and fold....am I wrong to put him on such a narrow range and is this the wrong play in the long run...? (should I also put him on JJ, QQ, AJ+ and therefore call?)

I went on to finish 2nd so not regretting the fold, but think maybe I should have called...

Durrrrr: A9s
Ferguson: AKo

Comments

• edited November 2009
    I'd probably fold and wait for a better spot.

AK in 10bb tournies gets alot more value being the first to act through fold equity, and a 3 way all in doesn't put you ahead much of the time
  • edited November 2009
    i  would  have  folded    annie  duke  probley  up  against  strong  pocket  pairs
  • edited November 2009

thats a tough one,  against an allin and a call im folding,  but my would you call if you put them on jj  or qq ,your still losing to pocket 2s .and its acoin flip .but saying that sometimes you have to gamble if you want to win,and not just cash 

• edited November 2009
    In Response to AK suited late on in MTT, facing 2 allins:
    Hi poker purists! Situation: 10 remain in a 600+ runner MTT, 5 min blinds (i'm in 5th or 6th i think) with 10 x BB Player info: "Ferguson" has been VERY tight, we are in shove or fold mode yet he has been continually making up the small blind and folding to a raise, or check folding the flop if he sees the flop I'm dealt AK suited in the small blind "Durrrrrr" goes allin (about 8 x BB) UTG and obviously I was going to call, then "Ferguson" mucks up my thinking by also going allin (BUTTON, about 9 BB)....for some reason I put him on KK or AA and fold....am I wrong to put him on such a narrow range and is this the wrong play in the long run...? (should I also put him on JJ, QQ, AJ+ and therefore call?) I went on to finish 2nd so not regretting the fold, but think maybe I should have called... Durrrrr: A9s Ferguson: AKo
    Posted by annie_duke
    I'd have folded every time, I am generally cautious and look to ladder up thus I cash alot but don't win many. The fact you finished 2nd justifys your way of thinking is right. Personally I hate AK & AQ and never quite know how to play them especially late in a tournament after a shove.
  • edited November 2009
    if they both have pp's QQ and below, then it should have been a call for odds?

just had a horrible feeling about it...plus felt I still had enough to find a better spot :o)~

at least i'm not the only chicken who would fold lol
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: AK suited late on in MTT, facing 2 allins:
    if they both have pp's QQ and below, then it should have been a call for odds? just had a horrible feeling about it...plus felt I still had enough to find a better spot :o)~ at least i'm not the only chicken who would fold lol
    Posted by annie_duke
    Hi annie, ill join you as a chicken
    Allin and a call im not liking my Ak so much now and im definetly going 2 be folding, If its just 1 all in, im calling. You have to belive the button has a big hand to call that bet, and i dont want to go up against both players. You still have time 2 find a better spot and get your money in 1st.

Congrats on your 2nd, Ozzie
  • edited November 2009

Fold, ladder up 1 more place and find a better spot, to get your chips in. 'Ferguson' who you describe as tight is not going to be doing this with junk.

• edited November 2009
    i would call,you have done well to get this far and would be unlucky to go out against most hands.Also,a triple up(almost) would put you in a great position to win the tourney.
  • edited November 2009
    Ladder principle - clear fold.
  • edited November 2009
    Snap call, possibly do a dance and a few fist-pump's before hand.

He had 9BB's. AKo is near the top of his range there.

• edited November 2009

fold, not much point risking tourney life on a coin flip...make sure your the one that's getting your money in first

• edited November 2009
  • edited November 2009
    in the cold light of day - fold - in the heat of the moment, I would go all in. I do need to listen to the rational side of my brain more.
  • edited November 2009
    FOLD FOR ME IM WANTING TO GET MY CHIPS IN FIRST YOUR DESCRIPTION OF FERGUSON WOULD HAVE ME PUTTING HIM ON AK OR A REASONABLE PAIR AND CALLING 2 ALL INS WITH ACE HIGH IS TO RISKY FOR ME, PLUS 600 RUNNERS IM LADDERING ALL DAY LOL
    WELL PLAYED BY THE WAY
  • edited November 2009
    nits

Durrrr's shove-range is obv so vital in this spot as it affects fergusons re-shipping range. If we assume it supposed to be "durrrr" as in he's pretty laggy, then this is such a no-brainer call.
  • edited November 2009
    thanks for the feedback poker peoples, all noted!

think i'll stick to gut instinct haha

yes, ladyfngers the names "durrrrr" and "ferguson" were my take on their styles :)