You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

SPT hand - to call or not to call?

edited March 2012 in The Poker Clinic
SPT Glasgow - final table 10 handed. 

I was in the small blind (am 2nd highest stack 115K) with 10h Jh and raised to 17,000 (blinds 3,000 / 6,000 a500) - mewillows (big stack 200K) called. The flop came 9 high, and I bet 20,000 - he called again. The turn was the 10 - giving me top pair and so I bet 30,000. mewillows shoved. My heart stopped. I have top pair and have committed 2/3 of my stack to this hand. to call, I put my tournament on the line. 10th place pays £360 - 9th is over £500. Do I want to be first out on the final table having gone in 2nd? Can I afford to fold - I am down to about 35,000 chips? 

What do people do?

Comments

• edited March 2012
    Could you give all the information please like every card on the flop, the suits of each card, also the pot size at each stage (I could try and work it out myself but I'm lazy). Also possibly the stack sizes of the other players.

Without all this it's kind of tough to give correct advice.
  • edited March 2012
    +1 to dudenit, suits and as much info as possible please

Shortstacks stacks too would be helpful
  • edited March 2012
    ^^^Dunno why you're asking for other info, it's 35k more, there's 195k in the middle and we've just turned top pair. 

-------------------------

I prefer to keep the pot smaller in the first place though, basically opening 3x on a table where we are 2nd in chips, yet only have 19xbb leaves us with very few options post flop & we're gonna get re-shoved on & have to fold loads n it's gonna get expensive.

• edited March 2012
    Shorties had probably 20 - 35K . My hand was suited, but no flush / staright draws on board, unless someone had 7 8 from memory.
  • edited March 2012
     Not overly sure about the hand to be honest may have a clearer idea with more info.

There is one thing that does jump out about your post though. You are talking about the payout structure and laddering potential etc. When you are sat second in chips and are comfortable, until the table settles down into whatever pattern happens then there is an arguement for just biding your time laddering up a bit and then changing gears later when you have firmly established your image as a tighter player. If this is a thought going through your head that you wish to do some laddering to start with then this would be a snap fold preflop. If however you are thinking of going for the win and not caring about the ladder at all then the option of the open shove comes in because you are 20BB deep and not possessing much play down the streets.
  • edited March 2012
    Oh yeah, jesus 19bbs and you're second in chips, no wonder they do so many deals live lol

With these stack sizes I'd just open fold in the SB vs the chip leader this short, you seriously don't expect to play poker this deep OOP, also no need to get in this spot with so many other short stacks. Yes it's all about winning and 'laddering is bad' but pretty sure you'll find better spots than this.

If you gonna play defo just minraise, 3x is crazy this short. Also shoving is an option but I personally don't see the need to risk it all when 2nd with 10 players left just fold and move on.
  • edited March 2012

Criticisms of your pre-flop play have been made and make sense. The flop play is a bit iffy but its an understandable c-bet. I want to focus on your turn play. (Btw, I'm assuming that the pre-flop action was folded to your SB and mewillows is the BB. You don't actually say that)

The pot is at least 79000 and you have either 65000 (According to your last statement) or 78000 (According to the maths of the betting you've given us) left in your stack. Either way, we have less than a pot-bet back. So why do you bet nearly half your stack and less than half of the pot? If I'm your opponent, this looks like you must be committed. If you wanted to bet this turn, it has to be an all-in.

The question of whether we can call this all-in is an interesting one. We've put so much of our stack in the middle, that we ought to be committed, so most players would say that we can't fold. That's fair enough if you think there's a chance you might be winning this hand but if we don't think there's any chance that we're winning, then why can't we fold? You have to remember that your opponent is going to be looking at your stack and believing that you're committed and he still wants to get it in. He simply must have some sort of hand to do that, so do you think your top-pair, Jack kicker is winning?... I don't know. I wasn't at the table and I don't know owt about mewillows but I certainly think we can consider folding here. Even though it's a disaster for us to have lost so much of our stack without seeing his hand, now we've got to this point we shouldn't make one last mistake and call off our stack if we think we're beat.

Playing with between six and eight big blinds isn't going to be fun, but it's better than being out... but I suppose mewillows might have a nine if you're really lucky. You just have to decide.

• edited March 2012

I think the fold is ok if.....

a) You went on to finish above 8th &
    b) Mewillows wasnt bluffing you off the hand and he went on to win the Tournament.

I have read about this hand so many times, it feels like I was actually there!
    Listen to the advice given Graham, but you will need to let it go....a bit like your hair mate :)
  • edited March 2012
    Point taken, Maxy. Am over it now.... :)
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: SPT hand - to call or not to call?:
    ^^^Dunno why you're asking for other info, it's 35k more, there's 195k in the middle and we've just turned top pair.  ------------------------- I prefer to keep the pot smaller in the first place though, basically opening 3x on a table where we are 2nd in chips, yet only have 19xbb leaves us with very few options post flop & we're gonna get re-shoved on & have to fold loads n it's gonna get expensive.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    This.