You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

NL8... Flopped top pair + decent kicker + flush draw. Call shove in 3-way pot?

edited March 2012 in The Poker Clinic
OK, I know the raise UTG is marginal, but as played, what do I do here with another big stack behind me?
ashers Sitout     
bigd351 Big blind  £0.08 £0.08 £2.43
 Your hole cards
  • J
  • Q

Pysterman Raise  £0.24 £0.32 £16.25
deepsea84 Fold     
renno95 Fold     
millstone Call  £0.24 £0.56 £14.53
joelab04 Call  £0.24 £0.80 £3.60
paultheq Call  £0.24 £1.04 £10.14
bigd351 Fold     
Flop

• J

Pysterman Bet  £0.78 £1.82 £15.47
millstone Call  £0.78 £2.60 £13.75
joelab04 All-in  £3.60 £6.20 £0.00
paultheq Fold     
Pysterman
Given the way the hand turned out, I know what I wish I had done, but what are your thought?

Comments

• edited March 2012
  • edited March 2012
    Ugh!!! This is a tough spot. First I don't like the raise UTG with JQs because you will end up in these spots too often - out of possition with a draw. Just fold is a better move. But since you have chosen to play it at least you didn't limp ;-)

As for the flop I think that you need reads to continue. Is the short stack a fish or a good short-stacker? If they are a fish then this is almost never a bluff and they likely have at least TPTK, more likely two pair. If they know how to play the short stack then they could make this move with anything. It's a good move since the flop doesn't really hit your TAG UTG raising range very often and you have to worry about the other big stack - who he figures can't have a big hand because he would have either 3-bet pre flop or raised you on the flop.

Second is the reads you have on the big stack. Is he likely flat calling your c-bet in a multi-way pot with a monster? Or does he most likely have a one pair hand like AT/KJ or a pocket pair. How will he respond to the all-in, Is he happy to stack off here with one-pair?

Once you have weighed up all this up you should either set the big stack all in or fold. I don't like calling because the big stack is just the right size to re-shove and give you another really hard choice
  • edited March 2012

Fold pre.

Its a great flop for you to shove now.

• edited March 2012
    The pot odds of better than 2/1 mean we can never fold. If he has TPTK, we have twelve outs. If he has two-pair, we have twelve outs. Even if he has a set we have nine outs. We're beating a higher flush draw or a straight draw.

Shove to isolate but never fold. The straightforward pot odds make this unfoldable.
  • edited March 2012
    protective shove i think, he's short stackd and if u hav'nt got a read on him it does'nt matter ur way ahead in the odds. shove is simply coz he hasn't got time to make play down the streets coz he's too short to tell a story he probaby has tj j9 t9 and is putting u on ak aq coz of 2x UTG raise GET IT IN NEXT TIME imo ;-)
  • edited March 2012
    Got to be shove, big stack looks weak, if he has a set you have lots of outs and against AJ/KJ you're 50-50 with added FE.