You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

NL8... overplayed overpair? A few questions...

edited March 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Obviously, when the Q comes on the river this is a no-brainer as I pretty much have the nuts now. (I'm only losing to JK or 8J, neither of which should have donk bet the flop and then called my re-raise).

However, before the river, am I overplaying my overpair? How often do I run into a set or 2 pairs here and lose my stack?

Also, with my opponent virtually all-in anyway I presume I'm betting (shoving) the river no matter what. But if I miss my Q on the river and my opponent is deeper, should I just check behind with 1 pair? Am I usually only being called by a hand that beats me?
monkace69x Small blind  £0.04 £0.04 £7.16
paultheq Big blind  £0.08 £0.12 £10.71
 Your hole cards
  • Q
  • Q

bigd351 Call  £0.08 £0.20 £3.79
Pysterman Raise  £0.32 £0.52 £9.29
Stuart650 Call  £0.32 £0.84 £4.51
renno95 Fold     
millstone Fold     
monkace69x Call  £0.28 £1.12 £6.88
paultheq Call  £0.24 £1.36 £10.47
bigd351 Call  £0.24 £1.60 £3.55
Flop

monkace69x Bet  £0.80 £2.40 £6.08
paultheq Fold     
bigd351 Fold     
Pysterman Raise  £2.40 £4.80 £6.89
Stuart650 Fold     
monkace69x Call  £1.60 £6.40 £4.48
Turn

monkace69x Check     
Pysterman Bet  £3.20 £9.60 £3.69
monkace69x Call  £3.20 £12.80 £1.28
River

• Q

monkace69x Check     
Pysterman All-in  £3.69 £16.49 £0.00
monkace69x All-in  £1.28 £17.77 £0.00
Pysterman Unmatched bet  £2.41 £15.36 £2.41

Comments

• edited March 2012
    Hitting your set does fill a couple of unlikely draws that beat you but i dont see anything wrong here.
  • edited March 2012

You played it perfectly as far as I can see, apart from leaving £1.28 behind on the turn. You can never leave that behind with a check on the river.

• edited March 2012
    You isolate flop and bink a set.  You end up with the 3rd nuts beating all under sets and odd limped 2prs.  Only beat by 8j/KJ.  So beating more on river than you were at any other point.

Fact you;ve posted it means he has one of those 2 hands but it looks fine to me.
  • edited March 2012
  • edited March 2012
    myeh dont like shoving turn in cash here.
  • edited March 2012
    Pot is £6.40 he has £4.48 behind, if he calls £3.20 he calls shove. 
  • edited March 2012
    So we arent talking of approach in general, but this one hand vs this one player - with the hindsight of knowing he calls the £3.20? :p

• edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: NL8... overplayed overpair? A few questions...:
    You isolate flop and bink a set.  You end up with the 3rd nuts beating all under sets and odd limped 2prs.  Only beat by 8j/KJ.  So beating more on river than you were at any other point. Fact you;ve posted it means he has one of those 2 hands but it looks fine to me.
    Posted by AMYBR
    In fact, he didn't. He was surprisingly weak.

When he called the turn I was starting to worry that I'd got most of my stack in with 1 pair. It turned out I was actually ahead all the way, which surprised me at the time. Hence, the thread question... was I correct to play the turn so strongly? In general, when I don't bink the set on the river, am I losing my stack a lot of the time here with 1 pair?
  • edited March 2012
    I think we can be comfortable betting streets for value here. 

Oppo donks out, having 90ish bbs.  Flop raise ensures stack goes in by river.  Happy to get it in on turn, but not to just ship.  Yes we know oppo calls £3.30 for like 80% of his stack, but we only know it in hindsight.

As said, looks fine to me.

What are we afraid of?  910, sets or....flush draws?  Just seems standard hand.
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: NL8... overplayed overpair? A few questions...:
    So we arent talking of approach in general, but this one hand vs this one player - with the hindsight of knowing he calls the £3.20? :p
    Posted by AMYBR
    No I bet pot/all in whatever because if oppo has flush draw he probz check folds river so I lose value, pretty amazed you don't undertstand this simple concept.
  • edited March 2012
    Wow lol.  Your assumption is astounding.

By shipping turn we are simply counting on our oppo to be bad enough to station us, after we have shown significant strength on every street.  Cant simply say he called the 3.20 so likely calls the ship, because we dont know this when we are vbing turn.

So our value is dependant on oppo calling off his stack light.  Never advocated checking back turn. 

Are you shoving turn as a vb or bluff?  How often is the shove vb getting payed here as played.  How many players call off their stack with a fd at turn?  How many just auto muck their hand after being raised on flop then shoved into on turn?

Are value is purely based on our oppo being ridic bad, we leave them no room to make a play or bluff after they have lead into 5players oop on flop.  But we do give them every reason to fold marginal hands and missed draws.

If our reads/notes are that oppo is bad enough to call off his stack super light then shoving is obv fine, but is it the best line vs a wider spectrum of players?  No, IMO

Cant just pound for value hoping a 1pr hand calls.

EDIT:  Myeh may have read stack size wrong :p  Yeah I take it back £4.48 into £6.4?  Ship is obv fine after size of flop raise.
  • edited March 2012
    AmyBR, come on. He has less than a pot-bet back. The only alternative to putting him in on the turn is checking and hoping he does it himself. If he has a draw or a hand he's unsure of, this is just giving him a free card and either loses value on the river or allows him to go ahead. Either way, not setting him in on the turn is a mistake.

If he has a fluh-draw he should call it off with almost 3/1 pot-odds, so he wouldn't be ridiculously bad to do that anyway.

Our opponent just doesn't have enough back for your argument to make sense.

EDIT: Now I see your edit. lol
  • edited March 2012
    Yep, as said, totally read the stack size wrong.

EDIT: :)
  • edited March 2012
    Lordy lordy.......