You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

On river, b/f, c/c or c/f

edited March 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Against an oppo who is abc, can make moves but is pretty solid, doesnt spew much, what do you do on the river?

Your hole cardsAA   robbie1985Check    KKripplerRaise £2.00£3.00£37.67Mac77Fold    xCall £2.00£5.00£36.80johnnyd117Fold    ArcadeAmboFold    robbie1985Fold    Flop  K52   KKripplerBet £2.50£7.50£35.17xCall £2.50£10.00£34.30Turn  7   KKripplerBet £4.00£14.00£31.17xCall £4.00£18.00£30.30River  K   KKripplerBet £6.00£24.00£25.17

Comments

• edited March 2012
    River vb looks so weak, board just got worse and worse :p

C/c or c/f.  But I cant see a hand youd beat that lead on river from ABC
  • edited March 2012
    Your bets just get smaller and smaller as the hand progresses. You look so terrified to your opponent.

The £4 bet on the turn is not great. You really should stick to half-pot having taken that line on the flop. Having got to the river, now we have to make another half-pot bet to continue with our line and mask our fear of the board.

The way it's gone I doubt he has a flush, since he would frequently raise the turn. You'd be a bit unlucky if that was the case. I expect he might raise a King on the flop but that won't always happen. If I was thinking of a range to put him on, underpairs to the King are foremost in my thoughts. Bet half-pot on the river and see what he does. If he raises us then it's tricky but at least our information is reliable as our betting pattern has been consistent and pretty strong.

Bet half-pot and probably fold to a re-raise on the river.
  • edited March 2012
    Agree when I looked back I really felt I played the hand very poorly.

I was apprehensive ( dont know why). On the river I am nearly always(90%) bet folding against this oppo.

The bet sizing is really bad aswell, I think my bets can even entice a bluff rr on the river.
  • edited March 2012
    surely we easily c/f ? :S

How plausible is it that oppo bets QQ or less than for value or bluffs

maybe b/f is ok, oppo still calls with QQ or less than

but yeah sizing is a bit off
  • edited March 2012
    The problem with check-folding the river is that it shows so much weakness. We need to look at the range of hands our opponent could be putting us on as well as the range of hands they can have themselves:

I think our betting pattern pre-flop, and on the flop narrows our hand down to pocket pairs and two high cards. After we bet the turn I think we're much more likely to be holding a made hand. That doesn't mean AA necessarily, but could look like QQ or lower. A check on the river now looks like we're afraid of the flush and the Kings. Of course it could seem like a check to call for pot control with the King but most players would continue betting a King for value, having not been raised at any stage.

So now if we think what our opponent could be holding: Pocket pairs that we beat could certainly have made it to this river. If I was holding 66, for example, and the flop came with just one overcard, I wouldn't immediately give my opponent credit for it so would call a c-bet on the flop. Then the turn bet looks weak so I could call that too. Now a river comes to pair the King and my opponent checks; it looks like a green light for me to take it away from him. He looks like he has some sort of hand (as above) and although I can check and take it down against the unmade hands in his range, his weakness seems to be telling me that I can bet him off alot of his made hands as well. If I'm a sophisticated player I could even have floated the flop with no hand, floated the turn in the face of my opponent's weak bet and now I've been given exactly the information I was hoping for on the river - My chance to take it away from him.

I think betting 1/4 pot on the river, then folding to a raise is worse than check-folding since our opponent is just as likely to seize on this weakness as the weakness of a check. In fact the 1/4 bet probably looks weaker. The turn bet has given us a problem but I think we'll give less encouragement for a bluff if we bet half-pot.

It's really tricky and £1 more on the turn probably saves us alot of hassle. On this hand it might cost us a little more but in the long-term, if we never bet less than half the pot, I think we save ourselves money when we're beat and make more when we win.
  • edited March 2012
    If my bet sizing was better, I think the best strategy is to b/f this river.

In the end, oppo had K,10 of hearts n called my river bet.
  • edited March 2012
    dont think bet calling any rr is an option with the board and oppo's image