You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Confused - Should i have check called the river instead of leading out?

edited March 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Thought i was getting value by leading out on river - looking back , i don,t like the flop bet could have been bigger to find out where i was but it didn,t really tell me anything or could he have been slow playing A 3 , which was in his range ? Also could have raised it bigger pre but it wasa tight table and i wasn,t getting any raises through
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
mark199382 Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £9.30
ibiza2011 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £21.55
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • A

MP33 Raise  £0.20 £0.35 £17.90
JewPirate Fold     
mark199382 Fold     
ibiza2011 Call  £0.10 £0.45 £21.45
Flop

• Q

ibiza2011 Check     
MP33 Bet  £0.20 £0.65 £17.70
ibiza2011 Call  £0.20 £0.85 £21.25
Turn

• A

ibiza2011 Check     
MP33 Bet  £0.40 £1.25 £17.30
ibiza2011 Raise  £1.64 £2.89 £19.61
MP33 Call  £1.24 £4.13 £16.06
River

ibiza2011 Check     
MP33 Bet  £1.40 £5.53 £14.66
ibiza2011 Raise  £6.60 £12.13 £13.01
MP33 Fold     
ibiza2011 Muck     
ibiza2011 Win  £6.41  £19.42
ibiza2011 Return  £5.20 £0.52 £24.62
Hand History #490618171

Comments

• edited March 2012
    raise more pre
    fine till river - probs call river

probs checking is better, depends on oppo - but think betting for value here is fine
    if your betting to induce bluff then np

only really worried about AQ, oppo river check is just WHAT!
  • edited March 2012
    pre flop: Make your bet bigger. You are UTG so are more than likely going to be out of possition so you should make your UTG raises slightly bigger as a rule. Short handed you can make it 30p but a min raise is just rubbish.

flop: the flop is very dry so it's perfect for a c-bet. Make it 30p rather than 20p here. What do you think of the villian's call c-bet range. Do they know that it's a dry flop and they will continue with their entire range or do they fold to most c-bets and so a call here means a queen?

turn: bet bigger. These less than half-pot bets make you look scared. Unless you are trying to get your opponent to make a move then you should be betting about 2/3 pot. Make it 60p.

river: Don't understand the villian's check raise at all. Probably just call and hope he doesn't have AQ
  • edited March 2012
    despite Ace on turn and your admittedly weak looking turn bet, villain is showing every sign of wanting to get as much money in pot as possible. This is sounding alarm bells to me and would prompt me to check call river. This both allows him to continue bluffing/overplay a Queen if this is in fact what he is doing and save money if we are beat.
    would have thought his range is extremely wide to call a min raise from bb and could easily include suited/connected 3's
  • edited March 2012
    Cheers for advice guys - can,t remember exact reads but remember it been a very tight table hence the small pre-flop raise, but should have bet slightly bigger on flop.

The question was about check calling the river but just realised he was first to act anyway. I think the lack of info on this guy and presuming he was tight as that was the way the table was playing probably made me fold the river,

notes taken on board tho . thx

MP 

Ps - Don,t think it was a mastercash table but if it was it would be interesting to see. I,ve still got a feeling he had A3
  • edited March 2012
    Standard 3x is good at NL10 plus you have AK so need to build pot.

Flop fine super dry so don't need to bet massive.

Turn I'd bet more and call raise.

River after turn raise I probz just check behind as his line is really weird, if you bet I'd bet more for value then fold to raise. 
  • edited March 2012
    To be honest this looks like he has put you on a Q or a weak A and I think he was planning to take this pot down on the river no matter what cards were on the turn and river due to all the weak bets.  You went from being the weak aggressor to being the caller.  I have seen this play alot with the river bet and it gets through alot.  I would have 3Bet the turn or folded if I was going to fold to a river bet, if he is showing aggression now he will probably be raising a 1/3 river bet.  I always think about the next move before I raise or fold.  A 3Bet would have cost you just a little bit more than the way this hand went but you would have took initiative for this pot if you were called and you could have folded to a 4Bet.  I would have raised the flop to 3BB.