You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Played it wrong or is it just Bingo

edited March 2012 in The Poker Clinic

Hand History #492189192 (19:36 14/03/2012)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
R_IVERS_10Small blind 10.0010.002200.00
best7mateBig blind 20.0030.001950.00
 Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

cidermaniaFold    
steevo0816Call 20.0050.001890.00
kev8Raise 100.00150.001870.00
utopian9Fold    
R_IVERS_10Call 90.00240.002110.00
best7mateFold    
steevo0816Call 80.00320.001810.00
Flop

• A

R_IVERS_10Bet 320.00640.001790.00
steevo0816Fold    
kev8Raise 1040.001680.00830.00
R_IVERS_10Call 720.002400.001070.00
Turn

R_IVERS_10Check    
kev8All-in 830.003230.000.00
R_IVERS_10Call 830.004060.00240.00
R_IVERS_10Show

kev8Show
  • A
  • A

River

R_IVERS_10WinFlush to the Ace4060.00 4300.00

Comments

• edited March 2012
    obviously bingo, o well - what can you learn from this ?
  • edited March 2012
    He had outs and hit them, do you honestly think you played it wrong?
  • edited March 2012

Aww mate this is horrible!! even worse that his name is Rivers...

I get this happening to me all the time and i dont think you can do anything about it??

• edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Played it wrong or is it just Bingo:
    obviously bingo, o well - what can you learn from this ?
    Posted by rancid

I dont know Rancid seeing as your a regular was hoping for a bit of advice. Like i said in another post area, if you go on a run where your getting it in good and ahead pre flop, and still running into a bad beat is it time to adjust your game or ride it out and let variance equal it self out? I dont think at a higher level you would get the calls that you do at my BR level but that is not a option at present so how do you play against it at lower stakes?
  • edited March 2012
    He had outs and hit them, do you honestly think you played it wrong?
    Posted by Dudeskin8

No happy with my play there got it good i feel. What do you think?
  • edited March 2012
    kev your raise pre is fine nice re-raise on the flop by you,i hate your opponents call on the flop but cant blame him for calling pre to try and hit his set. The way he played the hand when the spade came on the turn he was never going to fold.
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Played it wrong or is it just Bingo : I dont know Rancid seeing as your a regular was hoping for a bit of advice. Like i said in another post area, if you go on a run where your getting it in good and ahead pre flop, and still running into a bad beat is it time to adjust your game or ride it out and let variance equal it self out? I dont think at a higher level you would get the calls that you do at my BR level but that is not a option at present so how do you play against it at lower stakes?
    Posted by kev8
    You played it fine, you want oppo's to make bad calls against you whatever level you play
    Sometimes though they do win, but over the long term you win

chin up m8 - never try to reason why they make bad calls or whatever -
    carry on playing good, getting it in good and you will win

Even if your going through a downswing, think positive it will turn around
  • edited March 2012
    Nothing wrong with this Kev, only other thing you maybe could have done is to shove when he bet post flop but looking at his play he would have called anyway and you would have busted out the tourny. I think unless you knew the player well you couldn't have played it any different. 

If I was 'R_IVERS_10 I wouldnt even think about playing this hand once you'd been re raised post flop, with 2 overcards and a backdoor flush, but oh well better to find him again and hope he keeps playing like this!
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Played it wrong or is it just Bingo : I dont know Rancid seeing as your a regular was hoping for a bit of advice. Like i said in another post area, if you go on a run where your getting it in good and ahead pre flop, and still running into a bad beat is it time to adjust your game or ride it out and let variance equal it self out? I dont think at a higher level you would get the calls that you do at my BR level but that is not a option at present so how do you play against it at lower stakes?
    Posted by kev8
    This is a very good reason to not want to move up. When people call us with hands worse than ours, we make money from it. The fact is that if you can't beat the lower levels, you won't beat the higher levels either.

I have one criticism of the hand, though it wouldn't have affected the outcome, I suspect:

The raise on the flop is not great. We have the nuts here and if we think our opponent has a hand we can raise for value but never for half of our stack. This bet commits us to the pot and our opponent will see that and if he's willing to call for 1000, he'll call for 1800 too. I think it's much better to just call this bet and give him another chance to bet at the turn, before shoving on him. By shoving (or effectively shoving) on the flop, we remove all the bluffs from his range and we probably force him off any draws in his range too. You might be able to raise a small amount on the flop, perhaps to 800 or 850, but most players will see through this anyway so if you're going to raise, you might as well shove.

As I say, I think the best play is to call and allow him to throw more chips in on the turn.

You definitely played this hand better than your opponent but you did make mistakes too. You can't affect his play so you should aim to optimise your own. Bad luck in the end here.