You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

is this suspicious

edited November 2009 in Poker Chat
In a DYM tourney. were down to the bubble and these 2 players were in heads up a lot and no betting ever took place both kept checking all the time, and i am talking about 15 hands neither wanted to bet. 1 was low on chips but the other was chip leader by a long way way i might add. 

It just seemed very strange that neither wanted to bet against the other but if they were heads up against other people they would bet? just seemed to be a pattern developing to me .... any thoughts?

Comments

• edited November 2009
    The bigger stack should usually bet.

the little stack would probably be happy at taking the blinds hense why no betting by them.
  • edited November 2009
    they could be friends who are in same tourny and don't want to take the other out. not good but as long as there is no verbal collusion I.E on saying to the other "don't bet i've got aces" then there isn't a lot that could be done
  • edited November 2009
    sounds it margate but this does happen
  • edited November 2009
    If you believe there has been some collusion you should report it, I wouldn't expect to see 15 hands checked all the way so it does seem a little suspicious.
  • edited November 2009
    Going off your description it certainly seems like they were, at least, playing soft against each other.  Report it to Sky support and if there is any evidence of cheating/collusion they'll be able to detect it and take appropriate action.
  • edited November 2009
    MSN has a lot to answer for...........
  • edited November 2009
    i am not sure really to be honest, it was a pattern that just hit you right between the eyes an you thought hold on!! this don't seem right, know what i mean? it just stuck out like a sore thumb that's all ;)
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: is this suspicious:
    MSN has a lot to answer for...........
    Posted by elsadog
    don't it just lol ..... hadn't thought of that, as for reporting it, won't be bothering. I went out on the bubble so it will just appear sour grapes. It really aint that important to me. just wanted to know if it was just me being a bit sore or wether others thought the same as i did ;) made notes so i'll know em if i see em again!
  • edited November 2009

Is that the £5.50 DYM I was in?  Can't speak for anyone else but I think I was the low chip stack most of the time and to be honest I was crocheting at the same time - got to get on with matinee coat or baby will be walking. LOL

• edited November 2009
    It was indeed an i'd never seen anything like it before ;)
  • edited November 2009
    I did think it was weird and was feeling exceptionally frustrated but didn't have the chips to do much about it - rather like you. However, I will apologise for my AQ of spades beating your KJ of spades. 
  • edited November 2009
    Hi MM

I was once accused of that in a chat box after the short stack had been knocked out.  Sometimes when playing DYMs my philosophy is; why risk a bet against another large stack when there is only one more person to be knocked out and they only have 3 or 4 big blinds left. 

Maybe the players in your game had my tactics too?

Hope this helps

Gav
  • edited November 2009
    Hi MM I was once accused of that in a chat box after the short stack had been knocked out.  Sometimes when playing DYMs my philosophy is; why risk a bet against another large stack when there is only one more person to be knocked out and they only have 3 or 4 big blinds left.  Maybe the players in your game had my tactics too? Hope this helps Gav
    Posted by LYDGATE
    Just realised that you said one of the players was short stacked.  NOT the 2 large stacks
  • edited November 2009
    personally  in double your money i think if you have a stack of 4000+ and there is someone on 1,000 and the others are around 3,000...  there not much point getting involved and risking being dragged back to the pack because if you dont get involved 9 out of 10 times you finish top 3 with ease... This may have been why there was so many checks, short stack may have been slow playing to try get a bet, but then there's normally a bet on the river if one has hit, if hands were being won on high cards in showdowns you know why they were checking!
  • edited November 2009
    they could be friends communicating somehow or even in the same room!But surely if that was the case the big stack would have deliberatly given his short stacked friend chips?
  • edited November 2009
    are you suggesting they know eachother or sumthhing, chatting on msn and double teaming you?
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: is this suspicious : don't it just lol ..... hadn't thought of that, as for reporting it, won't be bothering. I went out on the bubble so it will just appear sour grapes. It really aint that important to me. just wanted to know if it was just me being a bit sore or wether others thought the same as i did ;) made notes so i'll know em if i see em again!
    Posted by margatemaf
    I wouldn't worry about it too much it could just be that they are two very passive players but if you come across them again and they do the same thing I would consider reporting them.  If Sky check them out and they are innocent no harm done but if they ARE rogues then Sky can deal with them accordingly.
  • edited November 2009
    probably not colluding in a £5 dym
  • edited November 2009

Also if the big stack played loose doubling up the small stack he would be unpopular for that as well

• edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: is this suspicious : I wouldn't worry about it too much it could just be that they are two very passive players but if you come across them again and they do the same thing I would consider reporting them.  If Sky check them out and they are innocent no harm done but if they ARE rogues then Sky can deal with them accordingly.
    Posted by Kiwini4u
    Hi kwini,

it just seemed wierd that's all you had to be there to understand it mate. It just didn't look right in any shape or form. But had explanation so all's good in the hood. It just raised my suspicion after all the talk recently about player collusion esp in DYM. If i had of taken it seriously i would of fronted players out in chat and then reported it to sky ;)
  • edited November 2009
    I did think it was weird and was feeling exceptionally frustrated but didn't have the chips to do much about it - rather like you. However, I will apologise for my AQ of spades beating your KJ of spades. 
    Posted by sophiesmum

Don't be daft!!!!!!! jeeessss no apology needed for that at all in any shape or form!!! you couldn't of wrote that script any better, the top 4 spades battling it out was just pure theatre in my opinion ;) poker is poker and them is the breaks! 

Right i am off to Area 51 now to write one of those sky is fixed posts and to whine like a big girl about a bad beat too!!! lol ;)
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: is this suspicious : Don't be daft!!!!!!! jeeessss no apology needed for that at all in any shape or form!!! you couldn't of wrote that script any better, the top 4 spades battling it out was just pure theatre in my opinion ;) poker is poker and them is the breaks!  Right i am off to Area 51 now to write one of those sky is fixed posts and to whine like a big girl about a bad beat too!!! lol ;)
    Posted by margatemaf
    If your REAL lucky im sure that Nurse Elsadog will find you a bed by the window:))
  • edited November 2009
    Did you see anything suspicious on the grassy knoll?
  • edited November 2009
    nope, but i did see aliens making crop circles ;)
  • edited November 2009
    I can get free 1 hour phone calls after 6 ....so why bother with msn!  ....i seen to much odd play online...so i now dont deposit for that very reason!