You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

100NL table break HU

edited March 2012 in The Poker Clinic

Table has just broken, first HU hand

ezryder Small blind  £0.50 £0.50 £252.31
Poker_Fail Big blind  £1.00 £1.50 £127.67
 Your hole cards
  • A

ezryder Raise  £2.50 £4.00 £249.81
Poker_Fail Raise  £8.00 £12.00 £119.67
ezryder Call  £6.00 £18.00 £243.81
Flop

Poker_Fail Bet  £10.00 £28.00 £109.67
ezryder Raise  £28.00 £56.00 £215.81

Comments

• edited March 2012
    I'd be getting it in here tbh.
  • edited March 2012
    fold for sure he's never gonna have worse here. remember you don't want to be getting into big pots with these type of hands HU when your really just waiting for the table to fill.
  • edited March 2012
    I know nothing about ezryder but in a vacuum I'd think we were ahead here. Top-pair, top-kicker is a really big hand heads-up.

His pre-flop raise from the button is standard play, heads-up. He could have any two cards. His call of your 3-bet doesn't tell us much about his hand either, in position. So on this flop he figures to be raising what he sees as a c-bet, thinking that he can get us off alot of hands. If he has 7,9 or an overpair or something along those lines it's a bit unlucky but I'd want to get more money in here both to protect my hand and for value. Any standard raise is pretty much committing us, so I'd probably go for the shove here too.

I don't think folding is a good option, since there are so many bluffs and worse made hands in his range, so the alternative is the call. I'd like this if we had a stronger hand than just a pair of nines but there are so many scare cards that could come for our hand on the turn. Those cards could either kill our hand or kill our value.

Yes, by raising we'll scare away all bluffs, but our hand is pretty vulnerable and we need to think more about protecting it than getting value from it. We may get called by a weaker 9 or even a 7 if we have a loose reputation but we should be happy to take down the dead money in the pot.
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: 100NL table break HU:
    I know nothing about ezryder but in a vacuum I'd think we were ahead here. Top-pair, top-kicker is a really big hand heads-up. His pre-flop raise from the button is standard play, heads-up. He could have any two cards. His call of your 3-bet doesn't tell us much about his hand either, in position. So on this flop he figures to be raising what he sees as a c-bet, thinking that he can get us off alot of hands. If he has 7,9 or an overpair or something along those lines it's a bit unlucky but I'd want to get more money in here both to protect my hand and for value. Any standard raise is pretty much committing us, so I'd probably go for the shove here too. I don't think folding is a good option, since there are so many bluffs and worse made hands in his range, so the alternative is the call. I'd like this if we had a stronger hand than just a pair of nines but there are so many scare cards that could come for our hand on the turn. Those cards could either kill our hand or kill our value. Yes, by raising we'll scare away all bluffs, but our hand is pretty vulnerable and we need to think more about protecting it than getting value from it.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    +1 to all of this.
  • edited March 2012
    Villian wont get it in with k9 so if we are raising we might aswell do with with nothing,its either fold, or call, let him bet 50 odd quid on turn then shove. Wudnt surpise me if he had a set, ya know its a nice and dry board so hes gunna do his best to tell u hes got a monster like a moron
  • edited March 2012
    I know nothing about ezryder but in a vacuum I'd think we were ahead here. Top-pair, top-kicker is a really big hand heads-up. His pre-flop raise from the button is standard play, heads-up. He could have any two cards. His call of your 3-bet doesn't tell us much about his hand either, in position. So on this flop he figures to be raising what he sees as a c-bet, thinking that he can get us off alot of hands. If he has 7,9 or an overpair or something along those lines it's a bit unlucky but I'd want to get more money in here both to protect my hand and for value. Any standard raise is pretty much committing us, so I'd probably go for the shove here too. I don't think folding is a good option, since there are so many bluffs and worse made hands in his range, so the alternative is the call. I'd like this if we had a stronger hand than just a pair of nines but there are so many scare cards that could come for our hand on the turn. Those cards could either kill our hand or kill our value. Yes, by raising we'll scare away all bluffs, but our hand is pretty vulnerable and we need to think more about protecting it than getting value from it. We may get called by a weaker 9 or even a 7 if we have a loose reputation but we should be happy to take down the dead money in the pot.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    I dont play hu but anyway:

3betting pre seems ok, but I think I'd prob just flat esp if villain is any way tricky. We dont flop hands we are happy to go to war with too often if called, and if we flat we crush his opening range

Raising flop doesnt seem like a good idea to me. There are very few worse hands we need to protect against, we fold out his bluffs, and I doubt he is raising worse for value here. Yes our bet looks like a standard cbet, but villain surely floats these a decent % of the times he decides to continue with air, esp as we can quite easily have overpairs

Its either fold or call intending not to fold later in hand imo. I prob nit it up and fold. Obv all this advice is readless, your reads and table dynamic may change everything
  • edited March 2012
    oppo could easily wake up with better here, depends on dynamic between you

when oppo raises flop, you can easily flat as oppo is only getting in with better than a 9x imo
    If you raise then oppo folds all worse, except draws & 9's
    If you think oppo stacks with worse 9's then raise
    oppo could be raising as a semi with 108 kinda hand

flatting flop and probably c/r turn or may just c/c, but you may end up calling off versus worse 9's - life can't be bad unless oppo has better :)

Don't see how we ever fold top top HU, maybe passive line will just let oppo either over value there 9x or just take us to value town

Folding top top to a raise after our c bet would be just weak imo
    If we ever consider folding it should be the turn, if you want to consider folding that is )
  • edited March 2012
    i doubt you want to get stacks in here..esp with no heads up dynamics being first hand in a broken ring game, if he is raising a 9x then turn will prob go check-check, might barrel air or 8,10 type hand....Dont you have reads on villain? is he tight, aggro etc

Raising flop does not achieve much here imo unless he is capable of 4-bet bluffing( i dont like the idea of protecting your hand either), If you call and check turn,.. you could start a new thread if he leads iturn as i think it would be less trivial. 
  • edited March 2012
    Villian wont get it in with k9 so if we are raising we might aswell do with with nothing,its either fold, or call, let him bet 50 odd quid on turn then shove. Wudnt surpise me if he had a set, ya know its a nice and dry board so hes gunna do his best to tell u hes got a monster like a moron
    Posted by CrazyBen23
    win
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: 100NL table break HU : win
    Posted by LOL_RAISE

So even though oppo probably has us beat the majority of the time we still going all the way with our hand, would it not be more prudent to fold given these reads ? Or do we just say Coooooooooooooooler and move on as it's still possible oppo raises flop with air/worse some of the time
  • edited March 2012
    really tricky hand if my notes on villian are still correct id be getting it in , in a heartbeat

if your not comfy playing heads up maybe sit out until table fills
  • edited March 2012
    the win part was referring to the 2nd part of his post, i think raising this board with a hand that beats us is relaly bad in villains shoes. id rather take the call&call line rather than 3bet flop.

maybe can fold a t/j/6 turn if villain barrels big
  • edited March 2012
    We can never fold this hand on this flop. There are far, far more hands in his range that we beat - bluffs, 2's, 7's and 9's - than beat us. He could literally have any two cards and play it this way. Hands that beat us are such a narrow portion of his range. In fact his raise on the flop looks most like he wants to take it down right now. Why would you raise the aggressor in the pot on such a low board if you have a set? You'd have to be certain that your opponent had an overpair to the board and our pre-flop 3-betting range is alot wider than that. You'd be mad to raise here with a big hand.

That leaves us with two options; Raising and calling. The minimum raise we can reasonably make would be to £60, which would be more than half our stack and therefore would commit us, so we might as well shove. If we call we make the pot £74 with £91 back. We are committing ourselves to call off the rest on a later street even if an overcard to our 9 comes down. We can't call here, see a King on the turn and allow ourselves to think "Oh he must have a King, so I should fold."

Of course if we shove we lose all the value from our opponent's bluffs. I can't prove to you that people playing heads-up can call off their stack with top pair only but just as you can assert that they will never do so, I can assert that they sometimes do. K9 is not always going to believe our aggression here, nor is Q9, J9 or T9. You will sometimes get called by worse than A9 here. The dynamic of heads-up play will tell them that i) you c-bet the flop ii) you perceived his raise as a bluff of your c-bet iii) you 3-bet here because you think he has nothing and therefore iv) he should call because his top-pair or even second-pair may be good.

I don't like the call because we almost necessitate checking the turn. This gives our opponent two chances to outdraw us and, just as badly, two chances to get scared that his weaker pair is beaten, costing us value - He might get it in now with J9 but will he get it in if a King or Queen comes on the turn? We cannot count on him to continue a bluff on the turn so if we call we're just inviting bad cards to come for us.

I think it's easy to assume that we're beaten in this hand, since it's been posted on the clinic. Not many straightforward winning hands get posted here, lol.
  • edited March 2012
    We can never fold this hand on this flop. There are far, far more hands in his range that we beat - bluffs, 2's, 7's and 9's - than beat us. He could literally have any two cards and play it this way. Hands that beat us are such a narrow portion of his range. In fact his raise on the flop looks most like he wants to take it down right now. Why would you raise the aggressor in the pot on such a low board if you have a set? You'd have to be certain that your opponent had an overpair to the board and our pre-flop 3-betting range is alot wider than that. You'd be mad to raise here with a big hand. That leaves us with two options; Raising and calling. The minimum raise we can reasonably make would be to £60, which would be more than half our stack and therefore would commit us, so we might as well shove. If we call we make the pot £74 with £91 back. We are committing ourselves to call off the rest on a later street even if an overcard to our 9 comes down. We can't call here, see a King on the turn and allow ourselves to think "Oh he must have a King, so I should fold." Of course if we shove we lose all the value from our opponent's bluffs. I can't prove to you that people playing heads-up can call off their stack with top pair only but just as you can assert that they will never do so, I can assert that they sometimes do. K9 is not always going to believe our aggression here, nor is Q9, J9 or T9. You will sometimes get called by worse than A9 here. The dynamic of heads-up play will tell them that i) you c-bet the flop ii) you perceived his raise as a bluff of your c-bet iii) you 3-bet here because you think he has nothing and therefore iv) he should call because his top-pair or even second-pair may be good. I don't like the call because we almost necessitate checking the turn. This gives our opponent two chances to outdraw us and, just as badly, two chances to get scared that his weaker pair is beaten, costing us value - He might get it in now with J9 but will he get it in if a King or Queen comes on the turn? We cannot count on him to continue a bluff on the turn so if we call we're just inviting bad cards to come for us. I think it's easy to assume that we're beaten in this hand, since it's been posted on the clinic. Not many straightforward winning hands get posted here, lol.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Its pretty unlikely villains range is any two: Lets look at the action

He opens pre, this is likely to be a very wide range fron btn hu

He flats a 3bet. Now he'll do this wider than in 6max but I doubt he defends 100%. He 'll fold or 4bet some of both the weaker and strongest part of his range

He faces a cbet on a low pretty dry board. Again we cant assume he raises his entire range. I doubt he raises 2x or 7x. He sometimes folds or floats his air. As you say he is prob likely to flat sets, but he may raise them sometimes. I doubt he raises 9x a lot without history, (and why you think he is likely to raise 9x but not better doesnt really make sense to me unless he is pretty bad), if he does raise it I agree hes prob not folding if hes a reg. It will be bluffs some of the time.

Now maybe folding is way too nitty, fine, but I certainly think its likely to be either air/T8 or we are crushed. Raising basically makes him fold all worse imo, although as you said you risk giving away 2 cards and if he has 9x these cards may scare him or he might bink a 6 outer if bluffing. Still think I prefer a call/call line v his range
    Just a quick question does everyone think we should be 3betting pre? Doesnt make sense as a bluff and doing it for value seems meh unless we are prepared to commit to top pair most of time, which I wouldnt be delighted about in general
  • edited March 2012
    a little out my league tbf, but have played "said" player quite a few times. i agree with gt concerns with 3betting pre. as played i flat and reassess the turn. im sure there are arguments for and against this, just that if we 3 bet now its all going in on turn anyhows (if not before). on the other hand i aint folding at this point.