You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is this a call?

edited March 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Average player lol. Do i call this?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
pryce6 Small blind  £0.25 £0.25 £111.76
smack_head Sitout     
kasiayaz Big blind  £0.50 £0.75 £28.45
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • Q

davelufc Raise  £1.50 £2.25 £38.36
sikas Raise  £4.50 £6.75 £38.95
pryce6 Fold     
kasiayaz Fold     
davelufc Raise  £10.00 £16.75 £28.36
sikas Raise  £30.75 £47.50 £8.20
davelufc ???     

Comments

• edited March 2012
    In Response to Is this a call?:
    Average player lol. Do i call this? Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance pryce6 Small blind   £0.25 £0.25 £111.76 smack_head Sitout         kasiayaz Big blind   £0.50 £0.75 £28.45   Your hole cards Q Q       davelufc Raise   £1.50 £2.25 £38.36 sikas Raise   £4.50 £6.75 £38.95 pryce6 Fold         kasiayaz Fold         davelufc Raise   £10.00 £16.75 £28.36 sikas Raise   £30.75 £47.50 £8.20 davelufc ???                              
    Posted by davelufc
    I'm a below average player. But I'll give my tuppence worth if I may.

Gotta take combinatrics into consideration. Meaning, what's Sickas's range to do this with? And what range is he putting you on by time he's doing this? And based on his perception of your range what hands does he consider he's beating or folding out?

It's polarised I reckon. He's not a random idiot, his results dictate this. Any table history?

Basically, there's no wrong move. 50/50 ish. I'd call out of curiosity and make notes. Even if it's AA you've 20%. #### it, call, never wimp out. Not enough action for me to fold QQs.

I don't make money at this though. But you asked.
  • edited March 2012
    I think you have to be getting your money in here. 100bb isn't deep anough to be folding QQ pre-flop IMO, because by the time you find out you're either racing or behind, you've invested so much money that you're probably getting the right price to call with the amount of money in the pot already against most opponents' 5-bet ranges.

I've never played Sikas so idk what he'll be stacking off with pre-flop. If we assume his range is fairly standard (QQ+ and AK and he's never 5-bet bluffing), then going all in for another £28 to win a pot of about £81 once Sikas has called all-in, you're probably getting the right price, just about, so I think you have to get your money in here.

BTW, if you're not happy getting 100bb in with QQ, you should just be calling Sikas' 3-bet. I think 4-bet/folding out of a 100bb stack is pretty bad tbh.
  • edited March 2012

if you are not happy to get it in dont 4bet.

• edited March 2012
    Once you 4bet you have to get it in, 4bet-folding a hand as strong as QQ is crazy might as well have 72o.

Plus only 80bbs deep, no brainer. 
  • edited March 2012
    if sikas 3-betting range is jj,qq,aa,kk,aq,ak,aj,qk,a10, bluffs. and his 5-bet/all-in-pf is AK,QQ,KK,AA, then its much more profitable to call his 3-bet for ovb reasons. As played (you both playing short) you cant 4-bet fold QQ its just bad, even though sikas is playing his hand almost face up.

4-bet pre is fine v some villains that calls 4-bets often or shoves with worse(other than fold/jam with super tight range), with jj, 1010, AK, AQ type hands then is better to 4-bet-call than calling his 3-bet, oppo dependant though and how you are perceived by others.
  • edited March 2012
    id say ur a at least a 65% favourite, ship it! ;-)
  • edited March 2012
    as said once you 4 bet you have to get it all in

not that , that is a bad thing here

tough spot as played get it in

• edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Is this a call?:
    id say ur a at least a 65% favourite, ship it! ;-)
    Posted by sikas
    I was and i did!!

Luckbox lol. nh.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    pryce6 Small blind  £0.25 £0.25 £111.76
    smack_head Sitout     
    kasiayaz Big blind  £0.50 £0.75 £28.45
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • Q

davelufc Raise  £1.50 £2.25 £38.36
    sikas Raise  £4.50 £6.75 £38.95
    pryce6 Fold     
    kasiayaz Fold     
    davelufc Raise  £10.00 £16.75 £28.36
    sikas Raise  £30.75 £47.50 £8.20
    davelufc All-in  £28.36 £75.86 £0.00
    sikas Call  £4.61 £80.47 £3.59
    davelufc Show
    • Q
    • Q

sikas Show
    • A

Flop

• A
    • K

Turn

River

sikas Win Pair of Aces £79.57  £83.16

• edited March 2012
    what no open to 8xbb? you've changed ya game!

never 4 bet folding a pocket pair out of 80xbb stack, if you ever had the intention of folding then you should just flat the 3bet and play some post flop poker.
  • edited March 2012
    don't think I can ever fold qq 100BB or lower to a BTN 3b
    esp not after you 4b

• edited March 2012
    I think you have to think about how people are peceiving your game and why they are making the plays they are. Consider that from both myself and Sikas' perspective you were opening a lot and 3betting a lot, now I don't know whether you were just being particularly aggro or just getting cards but once you've been doing that then decent players are going to play back at you.

Given the dynamic going on at the table, 4bet calling off QQ is an absolute must because both of us were happy to get it in with a lot worse than the third best starting hand in NLH!

By the sounds of it, you agonising about getting in QQ here means that you are not using the image you created for yourself at the table, and it's more like mindless aggression for the sake of it. Either think about toning it down or continue as you are and widen your 'getting in' range to AJ and be happy about it!

p.s very surprised not to see the Q8 AK hand in here !
  • edited March 2012
    I think you have to think about how people are peceiving your game and why they are making the plays they are. Consider that from both myself and Sikas' perspective you were opening a lot and 3betting a lot, now I don't know whether you were just being particularly aggro or just getting cards but once you've been doing that then decent players are going to play back at you. Given the dynamic going on at the table, 4bet calling off QQ is an absolute must because both of us were happy to get it in with a lot worse than the third best starting hand in NLH! By the sounds of it, you agonising about getting in QQ here means that you are not using the image you created for yourself at the table, and it's more like mindless aggression for the sake of it. Either think about toning it down or continue as you are and widen your 'getting in' range to AJ and be happy about it! p.s very surprised not to see the Q8 AK hand in here !
    Posted by pryce6
    Bang on, think about your own image - affects what range oppo play back at you with -

also don't 4 bet if you don't wanna get it in

• edited March 2012
    I think you have to think about how people are peceiving your game and why they are making the plays they are. Consider that from both myself and Sikas' perspective you were opening a lot and 3betting a lot, now I don't know whether you were just being particularly aggro or just getting cards but once you've been doing that then decent players are going to play back at you. Given the dynamic going on at the table, 4bet calling off QQ is an absolute must because both of us were happy to get it in with a lot worse than the third best starting hand in NLH! By the sounds of it, you agonising about getting in QQ here means that you are not using the image you created for yourself at the table, and it's more like mindless aggression for the sake of it. Either think about toning it down or continue as you are and widen your 'getting in' range to AJ and be happy about it! p.s very surprised not to see the Q8 AK hand in here !
    Posted by pryce6
    Saved that one for the telly mate!!!!

Thought you played it well.