You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Did I miss out on some value here

edited March 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Hi,

Preflop
Probably the first time (ever) I've raised behind limpers with small pocket pair pre flop. Is this a good move or should I look to call here. I didn't think it would get re-raised so used it as a chance to build the pot although it must have looked a little suspicious (with just a 3xr)

Flop
V nice looking flop with the 2 high cards out.
Perhaps should have bet just less than pot here?
£1 maybe?

Turn
Had player on a flush draw so purposely bet less than pot but also wanted to charge quite a bit.
What do you think is ideal bet size at this stage. Do you scare off or temp the call?
River
Couple of straight draws would beat me but wasn't really thinking this through great at this stage.
If I was raised I would have just called so I bet a little less than half pot here.
I think there could have been some big hands that may have called more at this point so probably played the river poorly. Turns out seeing his hand now, he wouldn't have called a great deal more anyways.

danny20 Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £9.33
TheCats86 Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £11.83
 Your hole cards

cyall Call  £0.10 £0.25 £9.67
huni Call  £0.10 £0.35 £5.98
v1Call  £0.10 £0.45 £18.43
Arteta4 Raise  £0.30 £0.75 £21.27
danny20 Fold     
TheCats86 Fold     
cyall Fold     
huni Call  £0.20 £0.95 £5.78
Reyes01 Call  £0.20 £1.15 £18.23
Flop

• A
  • K

huni Check     
v1Check     
Arteta4 Bet  £0.86 £2.01 £20.41
huni Call  £0.86 £2.87 £4.92
v1Call  £0.86 £3.73 £17.37
Turn

huni Check     
v1Check     
Arteta4 Bet  £3.40 £7.13 £17.01
huni Fold     
v1Call  £3.40 £10.53 £13.97
River

v1Check     
Arteta4 Bet  £4.50 £15.03 £12.51
v1Call  £4.50 £19.53 £9.47
Arteta4 Show

v1Muck
  • K

Arteta4 Win Three 6s £18.13  £30.64

Comments

• edited March 2012
    if your not b/f river then bet more or maybe shove
  • edited March 2012
    prob just limp behind 3 limpers without good reads esp when some are short. I sometimes raise these spots, but everyone tells me its a leak, I think if you are doing it make it bigger and you should know some of them limpfold a bit

bet river bigger, call it off if he shoves
  • edited March 2012
    100% limp behind for me pre, if you want to raise though it has to be MUCH bigger 30p is just pot building with a hand that 3-way only has value if hit set.

Flop turn fine then you suddenly bet less than half pot, why was this? At this stage you have to got for max and by the river the pot is bigger enough to at least pot it but after two calls maybe even shove as pot is just a bit less than his stack. 
  • edited March 2012
    I agree, river bet was bad.
    Few more seconds on the timer, I may have pushed that bet up quite significantly. (Little put off by a possible JQ but playing the hand back now he couldn't have called that hand on flop & turn anyway).

Anyway, hopefully I'l learn for next time.
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Did I miss out on some value here:
    I agree, river bet was bad. Few more seconds on the timer, I may have pushed that bet up quite significantly. (Little put off by a possible JQ but playing the hand back now he couldn't have called that hand on flop & turn anyway). Anyway, hopefully I'l learn for next time.
    Posted by Arteta4
    Yeah I do this sometimes, doing the rounds of going through the hands you're losing to lol, but sometimes like here playing the hand back again QJ just wouldn't make sense (unless he's an uba fish) so you just have to go for it and be happy getting it in. ;)
  • edited March 2012
    limping is def best pre imo
    b/c river - shove is a poss but def not half pot bet
  • edited March 2012
    I would always raise this pre-flop. If you limp, you'll take this probably six-handed to a flop, which is great if you hit the set. Surely someone will have something on the flop and you'll get paid. I think that's not too bad if you're checking your BB or making-up from the SB but we're on the button here and I think you're wasting your position if you just limp behind here.

I'd make it 60p and expect to go heads-up or three-handed to a flop. The reason that's good for us is that we can represent a bigger hand than we have on the ocassions we miss the set and on the ocassions we hit the set, we've built a bigger pot. Playing in position also makes it alot easier to get value through the streets, since we can see what our opponents' make of the board before we act and can bet strongly or weakly or check as seems to be best, based on our evaluation of the flop, etc. Also by raising the button we can sometimes take it down pre-flop, which we can never be too unhappy about with just a pair of sixes.

I think your idea to raise the button is fine but by making it 30p you were always likely to bring players along with you. You were lucky to get it three-handed, really.
  • edited March 2012
    flatting btn here is just one dimensional poker isn't it :s
  • edited March 2012
    The reason limping is good is that when we hit a set we want as many other players in as possible, if we had flatted it might have gone 6-way which is great for our potential monster.

If there was one limper then of course raise as it'll most likely end heads up but here even with 60p raise at least two would have called and then if you miss you have to try and bluff 2 players or more likely just fold to any bets.

I also admit we need to get lucky in another player hitting TP/SP/draw etc but with 5 oppo's it's gonna be pretty bloody hard for them all to miss lol
  • edited March 2012
    just my opnion but flatting btn here just means we fold a lot of flops and only win hand when we hit set

raise more pre, play btn - win more
    espeically if it's a limp/folding table - gotta be winning money more ways than just wow hit set )

• edited March 2012
    OP doesn't mention if it's a limp/folding table, if he did then raise could be better but in general at NL10 not many will limp/fold unless you make it really big pre, which doesn't seem that great to me with a hand that has value pre but almost none postflop if you miss.

Just out of interest would you raise nice and big at NL4 in this spot ?
  • edited March 2012
    Don't forget if you want this hand shown on Thursday's live Poker Clinic show, make sure you post the hand ID and what tournament/table it's from!

Regards,

The TV Team