You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Mind games?

i haven't had a descent result for months, im an average player and really struggling at the moment. nothing is going right. im getting hardly any good cards, im losing pretty much every time im all-in weather im ahead or behind. i posted most of the hands in BBV(not going to post in this thread) , they not bad beats, most are either 50/50 or im slightly ahead but i just cant win one.

this might sound really stupid to some people but i think its my mind doing it ( don't laugh ). seriously, when im all-in and see my opponents cards all my mind is thinking is what card they need to beat me, and it comes every time. now i know someone will say "think about what cards you need instead" iv tried but it don't seem to work that way round.

is this a positive thinking problem? i feel stupid writing this because obviosly i know i cant actully control what cards come down, but i think its making me go bonkers.
has anyone felt like this is happening to them?
if so, what do i need to change?
cheers

Comments

• edited March 2012
    hi Burnshurts its called a downswing and it will happen but does change. But if your feeling you arnt playing well because of it analize your hands after each match and see what your doing right and wrong. If your just having flips and losing then try and play premium hands only and only get your chips in when you know you definately have the best hand. Its hard to say without seeing some examples of your hands and the style you play ask your self are you

Loose
    Tight
    Aggresive
    Passive

Are you in a lot of races? if so try not to put your self in that situation where they can bink cards and control the pot by betting the right amounts and most of all know when to fold. Also always make sure you have position in most cases so you have the advantage. Play within your bankroll and it wont effect your mind if your losing.

I get the same as do a lot of players when you see a lot of suck out cards and you end up expecting them to hit there rag A when you have pk Ks for instance or they hit there st8 draw and flush draws when you have top pair. Maybe your betting too much and getting commited so when these cards come out you feel you have too much invested in the hand to fold and convince yourself that they have it all the time.

All you can do is bet when you think your ahead and fold if you think your beat. if you have a bad beat forget about it say ok i lost that one ill start of fresh for the next one dont think to yourself well its gonna happen what ever i do. I bet you win a lot of hands by being as lucky as your opponants its just cos you dont win the overal game thats effecting you. Wins will come you just have to be patient and analize your own play not others so much.

Also if you have a bad run and lose say 4 games in a row take a break watch some telly and refresh your mind away from poker then come back and try again. If its the same then take a day or two off and try that.

It is frustrating but thats part of the game im affraid and it stirs up lots of emotions especialy if your playiing too much of your bankroll.

other things you can do is try differnt types of games i.e if you play cash try out some sit n goes or dym

If its mainly mtts you play try the others you cant expect to cash in mtts as much as the others they take longer to win.

you say you hardly get any good cards but! I know you do get good cards cos noone get bad cards constantly. if you think that and just play any thing it means you prob arnt being patient enough and end up playing average hands which arnt that strong and puts you at a disadvantage for the most part. Try sticking to AK AQ AJ  AA KK QQ JJ and if you dont get any of those cards come up then A10 K10 Q10 KQ KJ and mainly if there suited cards

Play less hands and only get involved with the types of hands above. Try not to shove so much but dont be too weak so that your opponents get free cards. Only play mid and small pk pairs if its cheap so you can hit a set dont go crazy with them by shoving.

If you stick to this you should do ok and then when your confidence comes back you can play a bit looser.

I hope this helps a bit but play tight and you will improve as this way you will be ahead the majority of the time.

• edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Mind games?:
    hi Burnshurts its called a downswing and it will happen but does change. But if your feeling you arnt playing well because of it analize your hands after each match and see what your doing right and wrong. If your just having flips and losing then try and play premium hands only and only get your chips in when you know you definately have the best hand. Its hard to say without seeing some examples of your hands and the style you play ask your self are you Loose Tight Aggresive Passive Are you in a lot of races? if so try not to put your self in that situation where they can bink cards and control the pot by betting the right amounts and most of all know when to fold. Also always make sure you have position in most cases so you have the advantage. Play within your bankroll and it wont effect your mind if your losing. I get the same as do a lot of players when you see a lot of suck out cards and you end up expecting them to hit there rag A when you have pk Ks for instance or they hit there st8 draw and flush draws when you have top pair. Maybe your betting too much and getting commited so when these cards come out you feel you have too much invested in the hand to fold and convince yourself that they have it all the time. All you can do is bet when you think your ahead and fold if you think your beat. if you have a bad beat forget about it say ok i lost that one ill start of fresh for the next one dont think to yourself well its gonna happen what ever i do. I bet you win a lot of hands by being as lucky as your opponants its just cos you dont win the overal game thats effecting you. Wins will come you just have to be patient and analize your own play not others so much. Also if you have a bad run and lose say 4 games in a row take a break watch some telly and refresh your mind away from poker then come back and try again. If its the same then take a day or two off and try that. It is frustrating but thats part of the game im affraid and it stirs up lots of emotions especialy if your playiing too much of your bankroll. other things you can do is try differnt types of games i.e if you play cash try out some sit n goes or dym If its mainly mtts you play try the others you cant expect to cash in mtts as much as the others they take longer to win. you say you hardly get any good cards but! I know you do get good cards cos noone get bad cards constantly. if you think that and just play any thing it means you prob arnt being patient enough and end up playing average hands which arnt that strong and puts you at a disadvantage for the most part. Try sticking to AK AQ AJ  AA KK QQ JJ and if you dont get any of those cards come up then A10 K10 Q10 KQ KJ and mainly if there suited cards   Play less hands and only get involved with the types of hands above. Try not to shove so much but dont be too weak so that your opponents get free cards. Only play mid and small pk pairs if its cheap so you can hit a set dont go crazy with them by shoving. If you stick to this you should do ok and then when your confidence comes back you can play a bit looser. I hope this helps a bit but play tight and you will improve as this way you will be ahead the majority of the time.
    Posted by Dazler
    good advise dazler, i dont think im playing to loose tho. in alot of the tourneys i seem to be getting really short and then having to push which is leading to the amount of races im having.
  • edited March 2012
    Hiya mate, if you play mainly MTT then having a dry run is nothing unusual and can last a very long time. 

A major factor is how many runners the MTT's you play get, if it's the main events with ~300 then actually winning one is very rare and so going 50-100 games (probably much more) without doing so is easily possible and even purely cashing will never be more than 15-20% so you have to learn to lose or at least not feeling devastated when you do as that's what will happen most of the time.

If you mainly play BH's it might be worth trying deepstacks for a few weeks where skill plays a bigger part and so your results should be better.

There's also bankroll issues, if you just stick a bit on each week and play 'for fun' then losing shouldn't bother you as you know how much you can lose each week and it's set in stone. If however you have a bankroll and it's rapidly decreasing maybe it's time to play a bit lower where you can try and get a win that will increase confidence.

Finally try playing some cash/DYM to build up a little roll that means you can essentially free-roll in the tourneys you play.

Good luck mate, it will change ;)
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Mind games?:
    i haven't had a descent result for months, im an average player and really struggling at the moment. nothing is going right. im getting hardly any good cards, im losing pretty much every time im all-in weather im ahead or behind. i posted most of the hands in BBV(not going to post in this thread) , they not bad beats, most are either 50/50 or im slightly ahead but i just cant win one. this might sound really stupid to some people but i think its my mind doing it ( don't laugh ). seriously, when im all-in and see my opponents cards all my mind is thinking is what card they need to beat me, and it comes every time. now i know someone will say "think about what cards you need instead" iv tried but it don't seem to work that way round. is this a positive thinking problem? i feel stupid writing this because obviosly i know i cant actully control what cards come down, but i think its making me go bonkers. has anyone felt like this is happening to them? if so, what do i need to change? cheers
    Posted by BURNShurtz
    I commented on a couple of those threads in BBV so have seen them.

Am never afraid to go against the grain on things like this highlighted issue though.  The industry line will be variance, it holding alot of truth.  But I do believe there is room for more, outside of conventional empirical thoughts.

I do think mental attitude and perception have a part.  There are many schools of thought on self fullfilling phrophecy / mental attitude creating our own reality/circumstance.  Thats not meant to sound as OTT as it does, am just describing well established precedent in external philosophies.

Mike Matasow being a very obvious example (among many) who have described a change in fortunes after focusing on PMA and how it relates to the game. 

Devils advocate though: it is obviously massively subjective.  By addressing our thoughts and expectations and changing the pressures we put on an outcome our tension and stress changes.  Which will change the outlook and recall in general, rather than obsessing over a particular range of beats/run of beats.  Lol, i suffer from sporadic intense OCD btw.

Ultimately all you can do is play your best game, stack the outcomes in your favour.  I had a 6 month run last year feeling like you describe.  But then I had a week when I replenished my BR and then some and havent looked back.

For me the answer was to not look at boards or HH from when I got it in ahead.  I wait to see what am up against when AI, then I really do go get a biscuit and wait for a ping as I have posted.  Less tilty and automatically gets you of your chair to stop you (me) doing something silly.

EDIT: If your continually getting it in behind, look at your game.  If your getting it in way ahead, certain flips or with the right odds you just have to keep playing an obvious winning game that is running bad.  Periods of run bad, even prolonged ones, are statistical definates. 

You totally jinxed me btw in my MTT :p

GL
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Mind games? : I commented on a couple of those threads in BBV so have seen them. Am never afraid to go against the grain on things like this highlighted issue though.  The industry line will be variance, it holding alot of truth.  But I do believe there is room for more, outside of conventional empirical thoughts. I do think mental attitude and perception have a part.  Their are many schools of thought on self fullfilling phrophecy / mental attitude creating our own reality circumstance.  Thats not meant to sound as OTT as it does, am just describing a precedent. Mike Matasow being a very obvious example (among many) who have described a change in fortunes after focusing on PMA and how it relates to the game.  Devils advocate though: it is obviously massively subjective.  By addressing our thoughts and expectations and changing the pressures we put on an outcome our tension and stress changes.  Which will change the outlook in general, rather than obsessing over a particular range of beats/run of beats.  Lol, i suffer from sporadic intense OCD btw. Ultimately all you can do is play your best game, stack the outcomes in your favour.  I had a 6 month run last year feeling like you describe.  But then I had a week when I replenshid my BR and then some and havent looked back. But my answer was to not look at boards or HH from when I got it in ahead.  I wait to see what am up against when AI, then I really do go get a biscuit and wait for a ping as I have posted.  Less tilty and automatically gets you of your chair to stop you (me) doing something silly. GL
    Posted by AMYBR
    good advise, i definitely think iv got a confidence issue ie lack of.
    i think il try the 'go get a biscuit' next time im all-in, im probably not far off 6 months without any good result.
  • edited March 2012
     EDIT : If your continually getting it in behind, look at your game.  If your getting it in way ahead, certain flips or with the right odds you just have to keep playing an obvious winning game that is running bad.  Periods of run bad, even prolonged ones, are statistical definates.  You totally jinxed me btw in my MTT :p GL
    Posted by AMYBR

my bad, sorry fella.
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Mind games? : good advise dazler, i dont think im playing to loose tho. in alot of the tourneys i seem to be getting really short and then having to push which is leading to the amount of races im having.
    Posted by BURNShurtz
    in that case i would suggest that you give your self a target during your mtt games and always try and at least have the average chip stack. If you fall below it then your gonna have to be more aggresive and not worry about going out of the torny and take more risks to get back up to the average or more. Theres no point playing uber tight if your not getting hands and it gets to the point when the blinds are eating away at you and you end up shoving or calling a shove cos you your gonna get blinded out.

Try and stay in controll of your table once you get a nice double up you can either play a bit tighter if your near the money or bully players and steal blinds. Once you have a decent stack dont call every small stack with rubbish hands cos you think you have enough chips this will really burn a whole in your stack.

Always keep an eye on your position, during the middle of the torny you will have short stacks trying to get quick double ups and shoving a lot to get back in the game. This is where you have to be carefull! some wait for decent premium hands and others do it on draws or just any two cards and get lucky, but you will get a feel for those types of players. At the same time they will be worried about getting involved with you if you have a decent stack size so you can take advantage of this. Avoid Calling and be the aggressor by being first to bet but make sure you have position. You can also let them bluff and trap them as they shove out of desperation on missed draws or 2nd pairs ect

Dont play every hand and limp because you have a decent stack this will also get you in trouble, time your plays and make decisions at the right moments.

You will have to take risks to win tornys and sometimes it dosnt work out thats the nature of the game. It can take a very long time to get a torny win but they do come. I went 6 months without a win or cash but then got something like 10 in a row.

Its the mid period of the torny thats most important and if you can get that far and have the average or above your doing well and if you go out just dont worrie about it and move on to the next one. Try and play less mtts only do 2 a day at the most even 2 a week as they are very time consuming and you have to have a lot of patience.

Pick the right torny for you. Which ones are you playing i would suggest if you arnt getting any cashes then dont play the high end big tonrys with over 200 runners play the smaller ones which cost anywhere from £1.10 to £5 with max runners of about 40 players. The payout might not seem as tempting but believe me a couple of wins on these and its £50 for the win and they do add up and you have more chance at winning them. If you get a win in one of these it will boost your confidence and also pay for quite a few buy ins for other mtts.

Bounty hunters are good as you can make money without winning and generaly get a free game with the chance to cash on top, some people love them some hate them but try out these differnt formats and see which suites you best

GL and run well :)
  • edited March 2012
    If you're struggling with the mental side of the game, then surely the ideal book for you is 'the mental game of poker' by Jared Tendler. Not read it myself, but it comes highly recommended.
     For what it's worth, whenever I exit a tourney,lose a big pot i go through it and ask myself,  'could I have played it better?'. I don't blame the other player'how can he call'etc but if i've played it well and got him say, drawing to a gutshot and got it all-in on the flop then I'm happy and he's just got lucky to hit. I know if I keep doing this I'll be a long term winner.Focus on whether your decisions are right. If you're not sure,post in the clinic and ask people's opions,you'll get some really good advice.
  • edited March 2012
    If you're struggling with the mental side of the game, then surely the ideal book for you is 'the mental game of poker' by Jared Tendler. Not read it myself, but it comes highly recommended.  For what it's worth, whenever I exit a tourney,lose a big pot i go through it and ask myself,  'could I have played it better?'. I don't blame the other player'how can he call'etc but if i've played it well and got him say, drawing to a gutshot and got it all-in on the flop then I'm happy and he's just got lucky to hit. I know if I keep doing this I'll be a long term winner.Focus on whether your decisions are right. If you're not sure,post in the clinic and ask people's opions,you'll get some really good advice.
    Posted by Mohican
    im just not going to play anything for 1 month, i might well grab some books to read though.
  • edited March 2012
    Learn to lose!
    Everyone, no matter how good will go on runs of losing
    learn to lose without it affecting your game
    it's not easy, but you can increase your losses by tilting and then playing badly

It's very easy to have a couple of beats then tilt and play bad, no1 reason why people lose at poker

"sod it, I am all in"

gulp

lost again

dohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

• edited March 2012
    Hi 

Variance is variance but tilt can definitely make a good player throw away his cash. Jareds book is an excellent recommendation and a great place to start when looking to reduce tilt. 

I created a hypnosis for poker mp3 with some the help of some of the players in the psychology section on 2+2 (I'm a hypnotist but only a social poker player so needed feedback from more experienced players). 

Taking control of your mental game can definitely effect your results especially if you are already a strong player and it is only self sabotage letting you down. They've found using hypnosis pre-session allows them to start with a more positive mindset.

Bit of a shameless plug but hypnosis either my programme or a competitors is definitely a fast way of resetting your mindset before you play.

Cheers

Elliot

• edited March 2012
    Hi  Variance is variance but tilt can definitely make a good player throw away his cash. Jareds book is an excellent recommendation and a great place to start when looking to reduce tilt.  I created a hypnosis for poker mp3 with some the help of some of the players in the psychology section on 2+2 (I'm a hypnotist but only a social poker player so needed feedback from more experienced players).  Taking control of your mental game can definitely effect your results especially if you are already a strong player and it is only self sabotage letting you down. They've found using hypnosis pre-session allows them to start with a more positive mindset. Bit of a shameless plug but hypnosis either my programme or a competitors is definitely a fast way of resetting your mindset before you play. Cheers Elliot
    Posted by me10181
    Look into my eyes, not around the eyes,,,, 3 2 1, you`re back in the room.

• edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Mind games? : Look into my eyes, not around the eyes,,,, 3 2 1, you`re back in the room.
    Posted by davelufc
    LOL not into the bum hole but around the bum hole :)
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Mind games?:
    i haven't had a descent result for months, im an average player and really struggling at the moment. nothing is going right. im getting hardly any good cards, im losing pretty much every time im all-in weather im ahead or behind. i posted most of the hands in BBV(not going to post in this thread) , they not bad beats, most are either 50/50 or im slightly ahead but i just cant win one. this might sound really stupid to some people but i think its my mind doing it ( don't laugh ). seriously, when im all-in and see my opponents cards all my mind is thinking is what card they need to beat me, and it comes every time. now i know someone will say "think about what cards you need instead" iv tried but it don't seem to work that way round. is this a positive thinking problem? i feel stupid writing this because obviosly i know i cant actully control what cards come down, but i think its making me go bonkers. has anyone felt like this is happening to them? if so, what do i need to change? cheers
    Posted by BURNShurtz
    Hi BURNShurtz,

I'm certainly no expert but after a period of acceptable 'success', i experienced a downswing of sorts too. It made me feel reluctant to play...something which surprised myself as i'd been enjoying the learning success. The answer, for me anyway, was to look at the mental side of poker( just as i had for another hobby, golf). Recognition of what i was feeling and why was the key. I don't tilt now. I accept it as part of the learning process and by good hand history analysis, i can decide if it was my error or just variance as well as asking if i could/should have layed the hand differently.

This has helped me and the book by Jared Tendhler 'The Mental Side of Poker" has enabled me to have a greater insight into my game and how to react to injustice tilt for instance. Its worth a go, i feel, so good luck to you. I hope it works for you until we meet at a table!!
                                                               cheers 

• edited March 2012
    ive only read dazzlers 1st post and ur original question so sorry if i repeat any1

if your sittin for strong hands and finding yourself getting short and pushin you will genraly get called by some1 with a monster stack so avoid it mix up your play level your range

when your betting keep your bets consistant so your not gettin commited (so if you bet 3x with 67 suited pre then bet ace 3x pre) if you say over bet on aces pre say 6 or 7x pre and some1 calls if flop comes out dry and raggy and you shove its going to look weak and some1 will prob call with 2 more cards to come and even with aces your going to lose more than you would if you played it better.

try make sure your playing in position i think this is important so that you control the play

really look at your hands your losing your sayin you in alot of flips and if your saying they hittin its because your going allin wih cards to come try get to turn or river before making a push to be sure you got the winning hand

dont feel silly for asking bout the mindset of the game poker is as much bout mindset as it is bout anything else thats why the worlds best can go on tilt (tilt is just a word for being in a bad mindset) and lose all their cash /chips at a game. try reading up more on poker mindset there is a few really good books on it

hope this helps