You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

String Betting??

edited March 2012 in The Poker Clinic
I was at my local Poker league on tuesday and i wanted to go all in so i placed all my chips over the line and left them for about 3 seconds, ruffled through them to count them and said 7,350 all in!

I got told i wasnt allowed that bet and i had to just call cause it was string betting?? I thought once you'd placed all your chips over the line that was it? I just counted them to tell them how much was there?

Comments

• edited March 2012
    If you put them all across the line and said all-in, I don't know why there was a problem.

String betting is where you put a certain amount of chips in, and then add to it, because obviously you can get tells. Like you could have the nuts, you bet, it's obvious to see he's gonna call, so you add some more. That is obviously not allowed but your situation sounds fine.
  • edited March 2012
    If your stack moved in in one motion its simply an allin.

May try the one motion move, ruffle myself though :p
  • edited March 2012

I didnt actually say all in i just pushed all my chips over the line, sat back for about 3 seconds then lent forward and counted it and said its 7350 all in

The big blind kicked off saying i was string betting which i didnt get cause id already gone all in? anyway i got over ruled so i left!

So was i right?

• edited March 2012
    Obviously if u touched your chips again, it looks like you could have added more.

To stop all these sort of problems , simply ......

Always state clearly what you are doing before you do it !!!
    "i raise to 50"   , then stick your 50 in.
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: String Betting??:
    Obviously if u touched your chips again, it looks like you could have added more. To stop all these sort of problems , simply ...... Always state clearly what you are doing before you do it !!! "i raise to 50"   , then stick your 50 in.
    Posted by 1267
    This. Too many arguments are started at poker tables through people not being consistant in how they make action
  • edited March 2012
    I thought it was an international sign tho that if you pushed all your chips over the line your all in? All my chips were in the middle, i didnt have any to add i was all in! i was just being polite counting what it was for them but there was a massive kick off.

from now on i'll always just say all in but think they were unfair when id pushed all my chip in the middle to say id was string betting
  • edited March 2012
    I disagree with the verbal announcment, unless its an allin.

Having exact chips to bet is prefferable.  Would only announce bet if our denominations doesnt allow for it i.e. want to bet 1300 and only have 1k and 500 chips.
  • edited March 2012
    I thought it was an international sign tho that if you pushed all your chips over the line your all in? All my chips were in the middle, i didnt have any to add i was all in! i was just being polite counting what it was for them but there was a massive kick off. from now on i'll always just say all in but think they were unfair when id pushed all my chip in the middle to say id was string betting
    Posted by ClintonH83
    It was unfair if you put chips in in one motion, you should have stood your ground.
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: String Betting?? : It was unfair if you put chips in in one motion, you should have stood your ground.
    Posted by AMYBR
    I should of done mate but im quite new to playing live, and this league ive joined has been going for years so i didnt fully know if i was right or not?? But i honestly pushed all my chips over the line in one motion and left them all in the middle! 

Im gonna complain next week
  • edited March 2012
    yeah can be intimidating breaking into established games.  Normally those leages are full of good people though.