You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Running Deep and made a play against chip leader - Would love feedback on hand.

edited March 2012 in The Poker Clinic
I ran deep in my second big(ish) tournament on Sky Poker, and entered the £5K Open.  I made it to the final table and was 4th in chip stacks and was dealt JQ of clubs on the button.  The big blind was chip leader.  It folded round to me and i raised, but i had been raising mostly on the button, so it didn't show strength this time.  Small blind folded and big blind re-raised.  I took my time and re-raised again, thinking he was making a move because i had been raising the button alot, and many hands ago, he did this and showed me nothing when i folded.  He then called my raise and we saw a flop.

The flop came 9Clubs 10Clubs Qspades - This gave me open ended straight draw, top pair, flush draw and straight flush draw.  My opponent bet half pot quite quickly.  I did have top pair, and so many outs that i shoved (the pot was so big, and he insta called.  I was thinking i would even be happy if he turned over pocket AA or KK because i had so many outs.  He had K diamonds and J hearts, giving him the straight. Flop and River were blanks and i was knocked out.

How did i play the hand, could i have played differently? Was i right to get all my chips in, in that spot with so many outs and top pair to fall back on?

Looking back myself i think i would have done the same again.  At the time i wasn't bothered about AA or KK because of all the outs, and a set would have been the same for me with the outs.

Comments

• edited March 2012
    Kind of sounds standard given reads position and board bud.  Be really good if you could post the hand so stacks/ bets become clearer.
  • edited March 2012
    Not knowing stack-sizes, pot-odds, etc makes this pretty difficult to analyse. Couldn't you find the hand history?

Anyway, on what you've said it sounds like you've played it fine. Even if we assume the worst, we have 10 outs against the straight with the King of clubs. We'd be a dog but not a massive one. We can be called by all sorts of hands that we're a favourite against, so it's not bad to get it in on this flop. I'd prefer getting it in here than calling to see a turn card most of the time. If we have fold equity picking up the dead money would be good too.

Your 4-bet pre-flop is good if you think he might fold but perhaps your read was not so good considering he called with KJ, lol. On the flop, it sounds like you were coolered. Don't worry about going out on this hand. Congrats on the good results.

(As I say; stacks, bet sizes, pot-odds are all important. Knowing these could alter the analysis)
  • edited March 2012
    stacks etc important, although I prob just fold to 3bet pre

I see absolutely no reason to raise flop, unless there is very little behind, whic may well be the case
  • edited March 2012
    So what did this hand actually look like then? :p
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Running Deep and made a play against chip leader - Would love feedback on hand.:
    So what did this hand actually look like then? :p
    Posted by AMYBR
    He called a raise from sb putting in a 1/5 of his stack then it came that flop but not 2 clubs and they got it in
  • edited March 2012
    Sounds fairly standard once the flop comes. I'm not sure about calling the 3bet pre but once you've done that and hit TP with an open ender and a flush draw, I'd be getting it in all day long.

Disclaimer: I am far from an expert so I may be completely wrong!