You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is this just unlucky or did I play it badly?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceshaun84Small blind £0.02£0.02£4.00SR23Big blind £0.04£0.06£2.16 Your hole cardsK3   ALNCAZFold    jakey123Call £0.04£0.10£1.60shunto69Call £0.04£0.14£6.79shaun84Call £0.02£0.16£3.98SR23Check    Flop  QJ4   shaun84Check    SR23Check    jakey123Check    shunto69Check    Turn  5   shaun84Check    SR23Bet £0.08£0.24£2.08jakey123Fold    shunto69Fold    shaun84Raise £0.16£0.40£3.82SR23Raise £0.16£0.56£1.92shaun84Raise £0.56£1.12£3.26SR23Call £0.48£1.60£1.44River  Q   shaun84Bet £1.20£2.80£2.06SR23All-in £1.44£4.24£0.00shaun84Call £0.24£4.48£1.82shaun84ShowK3   SR23ShowJQ   SR23WinFull House, Queens and Jacks£4.14 £4.14PrevClose windowNext

Comments

• edited March 2012
    Wow. I managed to copy it over this time. Any advice would be gratefully received. Best wishes. Shaun the Villa fan in Bham
  • edited March 2012
    As played ship turn for value

I bet flop/turn mostly.  Cant help river
  • edited March 2012
    Really you should have lost alot more.

Alot of people will say don't even bother putting the extra 2p in pre flop because more often than not you'll either completely miss the flop or hit it and be completely dominated. But that aside, you should bet the flop and on the turn be trying your hardest to get stacks in the middle. Unlucky on the river but yeah as I said, you should have lost alot more really, so at least you've learnt your lesson (hopefully) on the cheap.
  • edited March 2012
    Thanks for the reply.
  • edited March 2012
    Am calling with suited K getting 7/1 vs ppl who stack light forever.

EDIT:  calling period any player type.
  • edited March 2012
    pre marginal

flop fine imo, you prob can bet also, but with limited fe oop I think checking is fine

bet turn, as played shove over his 3bet

river betr enough to put him all in
  • edited March 2012
    Ax of hearts I call pre, K just fold. 

Flop fine.

Turn bet pot or near to it, you check minraise here which is REALLY bad as you lose MASSIVE value, got to be more, he then clicks it back and you make larger raise than min but still can make it more.

River shove as you could be losing 14p with that bet which is just unecessary. 

• edited March 2012
    I'm with dudeskin pre - hate Kx suited on small blind
    Ax on sb depends how I'm playing!

on flop as played I'm half/2 quarters pot betting.
    same on turn and if reraised I am shoving as  at nl4 it says 2 pair or set

river - unlucky
  • edited March 2012
    fold pre

as played fine
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Is this just unlucky or did I play it badly?:
    fold pre as played fine
    Posted by barnsie
    You think check-minraise on turn is fine ?
  • edited March 2012
    Got to be honest I dont get the fold pre line in the slightest.  We are getting 7/1 with a hand of potential.  Pos doesnt really matter.  Would we bin a host of worse hands? 25os through JQs getting 7/1 with 1 plyr left to act? No.

By saying folding pre we are basically saying we dont trust ourselves to play solid post flop poker, that we will lose money with marginal holdings.  We should know what we want/dont want to see. 

If we have faith in our ability to lose min gain max then auto folding in these spots is just plain bizarre to me.
  • edited March 2012
    I just prefer to be drawing to the nuts if I do flop FD, yes someone else having Ax of hearts is unlikely but I'd rather not get in to those reverse implied odds merky waters. 

You also mention calling here with 52o, really ?
  • edited March 2012
    Absoloutely, and everything inbetween.  There isnt a hand I would fold in all honesty.

You know me, I know the arguments for and against.  But personally speaking, if I can take a multiway flop getting 7/1 with 1plyr to act behind am always taking it.

If we make a habit of paying off light then no.  But just comes down to your confidence in losing min vbing max.  Would we prefer it to be KhJh? obv.  Would we lose any less vs Ah5h on connected board?  Prob not. 

I just dont understand why people would deny themselves solid equity vs oppo's they perceive as weak.  Well......I understand the argument obv, but I dont agree with it

• edited March 2012
    Playing OOP is always harder so why do so with a truly rubbish hand like 52o or similar?

If you only continue with trips/2pr then fair play but they are super rare and also require an oppo hitting similarly big to stack off or close to it.
  • edited March 2012
    True to a degree, but its not hard for a micro stakes to stack off in reality is it?

The High variance in micro stakes comes from being called down light at wrong price and improving (pot being over inflated when they bink) and AIPF spots, not by oppos outplaying you or taking strong lines where you are forced give up marginal edges.  But our VB's will get paid at a high frequency.  Position doesnt even come into it for me.  All I hear is 7/1 vs players we can be confident we have an edge over.

We are going to know quickly if we are behind or if there is any point continuing in any given hand.  So to not take it up @ 7/1 with money invested is beyond my compehension.
  • edited March 2012
    7/1 odds are good yes, but at nl4 you can easily find a better spot with a stronger hand.
    with K3 and other hands in sb there is no need to make up the blinds and get into multi way pots. there is no need to bleed money on the off chance you hit strong
  • edited March 2012
    "bleeding" getting 7/1 - and being confident of our objectives - is acceptable.
  • edited March 2012
    sometimes it will be, true, depends on the cards
    fair enough
    I just wouldn't with K3 in the sb normally

by the way, hope your running good
  • edited March 2012
    Got to be honest I dont get the fold pre line in the slightest.  We are getting 7/1 with a hand of potential.  Pos doesnt really matter.  Would we bin a host of worse hands? 25os through JQs getting 7/1 with 1 plyr left to act? No. By saying folding pre we are basically saying we dont trust ourselves to play solid post flop poker, that we will lose money with marginal holdings.  We should know what we want/dont want to see.  If we have faith in our ability to lose min gain max then auto folding in these spots is just plain bizarre to me.
    Posted by AMYBR
    I think we can prob call pre here, but I think you are overstating how profitable calling is

7/1 isnt really that important a figure here when there is so much money behind compared to currently in pot, although obv its nice to have good direct odds. What happens to the 100BB behind is whats really important

Position is really important with this kind of hand as it allows us to control potsize (whether we want to make it big or control it) much better, which is important when we hit big or want to see an extra card. This is a big factor in our ability to lose min/win max you talk about

We have no specific reads, although the fact they are prob bad 4NL players is obv in our favour . Some of them are shallow which is not in our favour

Also, and this is a very small consideration, if any coolering occurs we are likely to be on the wrong side of it with this kind of hand

You say somewhere in one of your posts its fine once we are clear in our objectives. What exactly are your objectives
  • edited March 2012
    To simply be confident in our ability to lose min gain max as said.  To be able to take advantage of windows of opportunity and be diciplined enough to not lose money in precarious spots.

You know as well as I do that in each comment you mention above, the reasoning can swing both ways. 

I know both arguments as said.  I just personally believe we are denying ourselves opportunities by folding in these spots if we are solid players.

Are we good post?  yes/no?  Do we feel we have an edge over oppo?  Yes/No.  Are we getting a reasonable price on our money (with money ivested??  Yes/No.  Do we want our game to be this uber nitty?  Yes/no.  Do we sometimes have to get a little action to set up action later?  Yes/No?

Seems like there are more questions and more yes's.
  • edited March 2012
    To simply be confident in our ability to lose min gain max as said.  To be able to take advantage of windows of opportunity and be diciplined enough to not lose money in precarious spots. You know as well as I do that in each comment you mention above, the reasoning can swing both ways.  I know both arguments as said.  I just personally believe we are denying ourselves opportunities by folding in these spots if we are solid players.

Are we good post?  yes/no? 
    Do we feel we have an edge over oppo?  Yes/No. 

Both of these advantages are diminished a lot by the fact we are oop and have no specific reads. 

Are we getting a reasonable price on our money (with money ivested??  Yes/No. 

Yes, but money invested is nothing to do with it (and its 0.5BB anyway). As I said the direct odds arent the most important thing here, but before you say it yeah  our implieds should be fine too

Do we want our game to be this uber nitty?  Yes/no.  Do we sometimes have to get a little action to set up action later?  Yes/No? Seems like there are more questions and more yes's.

I wouldnt worry too much about being ubernitty. At this level I doubt we need to give action to get it, and I doubt we are pushing marginal hands postflop often enough for it to effect how much action we get
    Posted by AMYBR
    Look, I dont think arguing this around in circles will gain anything for anyone here, and I think calling pre is ok here. Its more a general point that I think you overestimate how profitable these kind of spots are, and also I like K3s a lot better than something like 83o here. I'm just putting forward some counter arguments, and also for some less experienced players (like OP I would think) folding may be better as they wont play as well as you postflop

I do think being oop multiway though negates so much of the skill advantage you should have and also your abilty to manipulate pot size. I know if I am sitting with a fish on my left its so much harder to take his money than when he on my right (Part of that may be leaks of mine though). Doyle said in super system that if a novice played a pro hu with btn every hand  novice would prob win. Dont know if I would go that far, but its much harder max value/min losses oop. It will prob be ok to call this kind of spot, but I dont think its going to be massively profitable either.
  • edited March 2012
    shall put counter arguments on hold then :p

But briefly as said from beginning:  comes down to personal ability/confidence,  knowing what we want to see and ability to extract/deny value.