You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

THE HIGHS N LOWS OF PLAYING POCKET JACKS (2 hands)

edited March 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Hand 1 seems fine mostly.  Think we are up against op some of the time, but hey its J's. 

Hand 2, myeh deep enough to be raised with hands we beat on flop.  River is grim.

Looks good to me mostly.  Bet sizes seem solid.

Comments

• edited March 2012
    Hi guys this the first time ive posted a hand into the clinic and id b interested in some advice/comments.

There are 2 hands of pocket Jacks and i sometimes play them passively or very strongly dependant on opponent(s) and history/situation/position.

Hand 1......had him down as quite TAG mayb, so i just smooth called pre and evaluate on flop...........

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceflexystashSmall blind £0.50£0.50£158.07SanqBeliqBig blind £1.00£1.50£62.82 Your hole cardsJJ   scotty77Fold    BawfizzleFold    subsnwFold    thebil123Raise £4.00£5.50£115.45flexystashRaise £12.50£18.00£145.57SanqBeliqFold    thebil123Call £9.00£27.00£106.45Flop  676   flexystashBet £13.00£40.00£132.57thebil123Call £13.00£53.00£93.45Turn  4   flexystashCheck    thebil123Bet £30.00£83.00£63.45flexystashAll-in £132.57£215.57£0.00thebil123All-in £63.45£279.02£0.00flexystashUnmatched bet £39.12£239.90£39.12flexystashShow1010   thebil123ShowJJ   River  9   thebil123WinTwo Pairs, Jacks and 6s£238.10 £238.10

Hand 2........Dn the player and im thinking this guy has flopped a set and i think check calling bets if possible but wen it pans out 3 3's and he overbets with a shove im thinking he has 9's then all of a sudden im like surely he doesnt have 1010 lol like hand 1.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceSanqBeliqSmall blind £0.50£0.50£18.53BawfizzleBig blind £1.00£1.50£191.85 Your hole cardsJJ   thebil123Raise £3.00£4.50£239.51Shippy1Fold    SanqBeliqFold    BawfizzleCall £2.00£6.50£189.85Flop  943   BawfizzleCheck    thebil123Bet £4.00£10.50£235.51BawfizzleRaise £15.00£25.50£174.85thebil123Call £11.00£36.50£224.51Turn  3   <td style="padding:7px 5px;margin:0px;color:#666666;vertical-align:middle;font-f
  • edited March 2012
    Hello thebil123, nice to have you with us in the clinic.

So, in hand one: Your pre-flop play is fine but you have to bear in mind your opponent's 3-betting range. Usually this will be done with quite a wide range of hands but they can be more easily categorised as pocket pairs and two high cards. Usually players will only call to set-mine with pairs from 88 and below so we can assume that those pairs are not too likely now.

The flop play is fine, his bet can just be a c-bet with two high cards so raising would be a bad idea as you'll simply chase out hands that you're beating and lose value from them if they choose to continue a bluff on the turn. Raising now will likely only build a pot against another pocket pair and most of the PP's in his range are beating us. So by just calling here we're exercising pot-control if we're behind and gaining value if we're ahead.

The turn is where I think we have to ask some questions of ourselves. Now he's checked to us and if he has two overcards he's likely to fold if we bet, so against these hands we'll lose the value of allowing him one more chance to bluff the river. Usually the only way he doesn't go away is if he has a made hand. As we've said; the 3-bet pre-flop likely rules out the chances of him hitting the board so the only made hands he can have are pairs from 99 and above. Against that range our JJ isn't so good since there are more hands that beat us than hands we beat.

So on the turn I'd prefer a check and when he check-raises us we're more likely to be behind than ahead. TT is actually near the bottom of his range for doing this and we're a bit lucky to be in front. By checking here we'd control the size of the pot on the ocassions that we're behind and will possibly gain value on the river from the hands we're beating.
  • edited March 2012
    On the second hand:

Again, the pre-flop play is absolutely fine but things get interesting on the flop. After he check-raises your c-bet I like your call but you have to be asking what hands he could be check-raising with; He could of course be check-raising with one pair on the board. His pre-flop calling range certainly includes hands like 89, 9T or even 45. From his point of view any of these one-pair hands could now be ahead if you were raising pre-flop with two high cards. He could also be check-raising as a bluff himself, possibly with two high cards or a flush-draw. He could have a hand that beats us but his pre-flop call likely rules out all big pocket pairs, so we should be fairly confident that we're ahead right now. Calling this check-raise is fine for the same reasons as in the first hand: We can get more value from bluffs and limit the damage if we're behind.

On the turn I like the call once more. His bet here could easily be to continue the bluff he started on the flop. We're not looking to get value from bluffs on the river, though, as calling the check-raise on the flop and now calling the bet on the turn looks very strong and few players will continue to bluff in the face of that strength. It's also very difficult for someone to represent a big hand on such a dry board with no high cards. So again, if we raise here we're only likely to make a big pot with hands that actually beat us and folding out hands that we beat doesn't have any real value.

Once our opponent makes a big bet on the river we have to ask ourselves what he's doing that with. We know it's unlikely that he has a big overpair but we don't think that it's too likely that people will continue bluffing here and all flush-draws have missed... so he must have some sort of hand. It's very unlikely that he'll want to get all his chips in with 88 or 77 having seen so much strength from you but the third 3 on the board has given you a big problem. He could have been playing a 9 all along in this manner and now that he's filled up he's getting carried away - We have to say that it's unlikely that he has a 3, since most people fold hands with a 3 in them to a pre-flop raise - The question is; if he has only a 9 would he make this shove on the river and expect to be called by worse? He might value bet but surely it would be for less than his whole stack. You've shown strength on the flop and turn and he would have to believe that you could have been calling him with 88 or worse for this to be a good value bet... If he was playing a 9 and thought you were also playing a 9 he would effectively be making a bluff here by shoving, trying to push you off a split-pot. I think it's more likely that he would believe that you have a 9 at worst and would therefore not try to bluff here but would probably check-call with only a 9.

I think it's really tough on the river. I certainly think it's possible to fold but it largely depends on the image we have of our opponent. The third 3 has made it really difficult for you but I think there was a chance to get away from it.
  • edited March 2012
    Your worse than I am :p
  • edited March 2012
    Havent read all borins massive posts

1- check back turn, call or vbet river

2 - reads pretty important, prob fold to river shove, I fold flop v some villains
  • edited March 2012
    Lol thanks for your advice borinloner, prob a bit long n technical for me.

As for them hands:

Hand 1, i just for some reason knew the villain had 2 overcards n not the overpair.

Hand2, this hand i was mad at myself cos i had a hunch at the villains flopped set AND i called a Massive overbet shove.