You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

3 hands from the SPT

In true Harrington style, 3 of my hands, with several ways to play them.
Let me know what you would've done in the situation and I'll post in a few days what I did and what actually happened.
I might even name & shame the villains!

Hand 1
Position - SB
300/600 50 - 9 handed
Stack around 6000

Play is folded around to you in the small blind. You have pocket 2s. The Big Blind has made some big hands, busting out a couple of people and has around 25k in chips.

a) Fold - only 300 invested in the hand, pocket 2s are racing against everything except X-2.
b) Smooth call - try to see a flop cheaply and bail if it looks bad.
c) Small Raise - Around 1500. Big Blind has to put 900 in to win 2550.
d) Big Raise - Around 2400. Blind Blind has to put 1800 in to win 3450.
e) Push All-In - Only 10BB left - only 1 person to get through.

Hand 2
Position - BB
300/600 50 - 8 handed
Stack around 4000

Play is folded around to the small blind. He's been playing well, and it's a name you recognise from online play. He has a good reputation and he pushes all-in. You look down to see pocket 4s, there's about 3 minutes to the next level

a) Fold - pocket 4s isn't beating much, so it's going to be a race at best, hang on for the button push when the blinds go up.
b) Call - Yes, it's a race, but win and you'll be back up to average size chipstack and 10BB.

Hand 3
Position - 2 off button
400/800 100 - 9 handed
Stack around 3000

A deadstack came to the table and has 700 (all-in) in the big blind. There has been 1 smooth call from UTG+1. He was all-in not long ago and only seems to have around 5k in chips left. You look down to see K7. There's 2800 in the pot, so the raiser would probably be committed to call your all-in. (Another 2000 to win 6000)

a) Fold - that smooth call from UTG+1 with <10BB seems a bit fishy to me - could be looking at a big hand.
b) Call - hope that the 3 players after you don't raise and see what happens on the flop.
c) Push All-In - Hope the smooth call meant a small pocket pair, giving you 2 overcards.

Comments

• edited November 2009
    Hand 1

D) and if called shove any flop, If rrAI, call. When a 10BB stack just opens a pot instead of shoving, it has more fold equity. Since its basically an all-in (ie were never not getting all our chips in with this hand), pick the actiont hat gets out opponents to fold the most (as a side note you prove your own point in hand 3 when alarm bells go off when <10BB stack limps.

Hand 2

cant say. Depends entirely on the stack sizes/player tendancies to your immediate left. In a vaccum I call.

Hand 3

Fold.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: 3 hands from the SPT:
    Hand 1 D) and if called shove any flop, If rrAI, call. When a 10BB stack just opens a pot instead of shoving, it has more fold equity. Since its basically an all-in (ie were never not getting all our chips in with this hand), pick the actiont hat gets out opponents to fold the most (as a side note you prove your own point in hand 3 when alarm bells go off when <10BB stack limps. Hand 2 cant say. Depends entirely on the stack sizes/player tendancies to your immediate left. In a vaccum I call. Hand 3 Fold.
    Posted by LadyFingrs
    Sorry - hand 2, player to my immediate left is the same as in Hand 1 - large stack, after him is a tight-ish player who is low on chips (2K). The small blind has around 15K chips, but is quite new to the table and I don't have much info on him.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: 3 hands from the SPT : Sorry - hand 2, player to my immediate left is the same as in Hand 1 - large stack, after him is a tight-ish player who is low on chips (2K). The small blind has around 15K chips, but is quite new to the table and I don't have much info on him.
    Posted by Loki-Rogy
    but at the end ove the day m8 they both got on ft ......so they cant be that bad so if you want 2 name and try 2 shame good luck pal ...fire away
  • edited November 2009
    I didn't mean name and shame in a negative way - only trying to be jocular. Both were absolute gents and even talked through one of the hands with the player involved afterwards. Nothing but respect for what they went on to achieve. Probably poor newbie posting etiquette - bad use of the term "villain", none were bad beats or anything to complain about. I've already congratulated them both in another thread.

I'm thrilled that I was on such a good table to start with - especially also with familiar names as Maverick and yourself (and no doubt others whose nametags were too far away to read)

Just seemed to go from relatively comfortable to out in the space of an orbit and was wondering if I was making the right play at the wrong time or the wrong play at the right time, or just plain bad plays.
  • edited November 2009
    I didn't mean name and shame in a negative way - only trying to be jocular. Both were absolute gents and even talked through one of the hands with the player involved afterwards. Nothing but respect for what they went on to achieve. Probably poor newbie posting etiquette - bad use of the term "villain", none were bad beats or anything to complain about. I've already congratulated them both in another thread. I'm thrilled that I was on such a good table to start with - especially also with familiar names as Maverick and yourself (and no doubt others whose nametags were too far away to read) Just seemed to go from relatively comfortable to out in the space of an orbit and was wondering if I was making the right play at the wrong time or the wrong play at the right time, or just plain bad plays.
    Posted by Loki-Rogy
    Hi Hoody Man (terrible at trying to remember names and my cards both at once...although at my age I often struggle to walk and chew gum at the same time). It was great to play on your table and I will explain my reasoning in hand 2. This is not an entirely scientific approach, but, despite what you will read in all the books, it is not an entirely scientific game imo. (note to purists...all figures VERY approx) You have 44, you are 85% fav against only 2 other hands (43 and 42). You are 80% fav against only 2 other hands (22 and 33). You are 65% fav against 1 overcard with a 4 and 55% fav against 2 overcards (as good as 50/50in my book when you are talking about your tournament life or the best part of it). You are 80% underdog against 9 overpairs. There are 169? variations of starting hand that I could have had (where is Norman Pace or Ed Giddens when you need them!). 169 - 9 hands you really dont want to see = 160. 160-4 hands that you do really want to see = 156. 156 hands that only give you AT BEST 2/1 chance and most likely evenish money...to CALL for your tournament life (or near as makes no difference)???? For me....its a fold. If it was a CASH game,with bankroll to reload etc, call all day long.
    I am not saying that this is correct, or even factually correct, but it is how I would have looked at it from your seat. Interested in all other views of course. Pleasure to meet you.
  • edited November 2009
    Hand 1 : shove

Hand 2 : call

Hand 3 : fold