You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Could I have played it Different??

edited March 2012 in The Poker Clinic
I was playing an mtt last night, on the final table, top five got paid, 9 left. I had 18500 the player in question had 37000 and the blinds 400/800

UTG min raises 1600 i raise UTG+1 To 2400 with QQ, folds to UTG and he Jams i made the call. he turns AK he hit A on the river.
Normally this wont bother me but i woke this morning and it was still on my mind. Could i have played it different, maybe fold or flat the min raise. As i was ahead till the river.

Comments

• edited March 2012
    I'd have raised it to mroe than 2400 but you're still never gonna make him fold and really you shouldn't mind if he calls, you are a marginal favourite.
  • edited March 2012
    I like 3-betting with QQ, but I hate the size of your re-raise tbh.

When you 3-bet, it's generally because you have a hand, or you want to represent that you have a hand when 3-bet bluffing. In both cases, you'd want a bigger 3-bet size, because

1) When you have a hand, a bigger 3-bet size means you're going to build the pot more, and get more value from your big hands.
    2) The times that you 3-bet bluff, you want to do the same as you would with your big hands, otherwise it'll be obvious you're bluffing and you'll just get 4-bet. Also, you don't want to give your opponent 7:1 to call as you'll then hardly ever get a 3-bet bluff through.
    3) You never want to be giving your opponent 7:1 to call, with massive implied odds as well - Even if he thinks your min 3-bet is super-strong and is only ever AA/KK, he'll probably still call just to try and out-flop you, knowing he'll get your stack if he hits the flop hard enough, and it's only costing him 800 chips to potentially get your stack. I love nothing more in Poker than flopping a set against someone who thinks they're trapping me by min 3-betting with their AA.

In this spot, I'd probably raise to 4,000 - 4,800. You're never folding QQ when stack sizes are so shallow, and a raise to 4,800 means that your opponent calling 3,200 would be pretty fishy, so his decision is then all in or fold. With QQ, you want to get your stack in pre-flop, so raise to 4,800ish and make your opponent decide whether he wants to commit to his hand or not. If he does the fishy thing and calls, you know your Queens are good pre-flop as he'd jam AA/KK, so just pray for no over cards and shove any flop where you have an overpair to the board.

Chances are that even if you do that, opponent still jams and you get the same result. But I much prefer raising to 4,800, with a view to calling a shove, as it then gives your opponent the decision, rather than him shoving on you. Also, it allows the villain to make a huge mistake if he decides to call.
  • edited March 2012
    We start hand with 20 bb's w/antes?

Kind of playing hand face up when we click back the utg +1.  I likely fold AK in the jammers seat.

I ship pre given stacks, disguises our hand better & gives us multiple ways to win pot. 

If we are confident click back induces shove I like it, but mostly just happy to get it in.
  • edited March 2012
    Yep make it 4000 and snap call any all in.

When you see his hand you should just say to yourself in order to win this thing one of us has to win this race, (obvz you need it more as he covers you lol) and in MTT's this sort of all in spot will happen so many times that you just have to embrace it and in a sick way look forward to it. If it really affects you then I'd say it's best not to play this format and play something more docile like cash.
  • edited March 2012
    I think i agree with Evil. 3 bet traise... i'd triple or all kinds of hds may call with those odds. You really wanted to be up against a hand pre flop so, as long as you were ai pre flop  fine. There's only two hands ahead of you so ints in the hands of the poker gods, isn't it?
    Don't know where you were, position-wise but it'd be a job to reach top 5 and not take the plunge with such a strong hand.
      The other night, on the final table 'bubble', i tried to see a flop with AJo and m~9 because of big and small stacks in pot either side of me. Caught a A73 two tone flop r'd all -in and met the villain with pocket threes. All have said when i posted that pre-flop shove was the correct call, not call, and i now have a tattoo to prove i(just joking!)
    GL on the tables.....I'm a Blue so lets hope we get past Sunderland and have a great day at wembley eh?
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: Could I have played it Different??:
    Yep make it 4000 and snap call any all in. When you see his hand you should just say to yourself in order to win this thing one of us has to win this race, (obvz you need it more as he covers you lol) and in MTT's this sort of all in spot will happen so many times that you just have to embrace it and in a sick way look forward to it. If it really affects you then I'd say it's best not to play this format and play something more docile like cash.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    Thanks guys, i was thinking of open shoving but i did really need to double up so i didn't want all to fold, although the villain was min raising almost every hand from any position i was expecting him to flat as that was his normal play. I'm not even sure if it went to the flop  and he called a continuation bet he probably would have called my all-in anyway.
    As i said these things don't normally affect me maybe as it was so close to the cash. $600 for 5th.
  • edited March 2012
    Happy to get it in for the race <<<, win that and ud b a very comfortable stack.