You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

is it me?

edited November 2009 in Poker Chat
i am bb.  i have q/10.

flop is q/10/2

i raise 4 x bb and get called

turn another 2

i raise 8 times bb and get called

river ace - no flush on table

get beat cos original caller had j/2. 

should i have folded my q/10 when he called my 8 x bb or was i right in thinking he was fishing or had a q with a high kicker or is play on the tables just questionable?  was my raising wrong with flop and turn?

can take the criticism as long as constructive, rather not have it if just saying i am bad player!

Comments

• edited November 2009
    I think your just a bad player lol i hope this helps
  • edited November 2009
    seriously you were just unlucky me thinks, its ok saying you should of folded when we know the cards but imo you didnt do a lot wrong, It would be really hard for anyone to fold your hand- i wouldnt have.
  • edited November 2009
    the 2nd 2 should have sent out alarm bells, perhaps a smaller feeler bet but only my view
  • edited November 2009
    One point.. did you raise pre with q/10?  If you did not then that let in some garbage
  • edited November 2009
    WAS THERE ANY ACTION PREFLOP?
  • edited November 2009
    The villian called your 4xbb raise with bottom pair and got lucky, I don't think you did anything wrong
  • edited November 2009
    no was bb, wouldn't have played em normally as not suited and far too many options to lose especially as full table of callers.

take ur point Torry but i still find it hard to believe that anyone would call my 4 x bb after flop
  • edited November 2009

I think you were just unlucky he thought to call with bottom pair and hit trips.

• edited November 2009
    difficult to say J2 was wrong without knowing stack sizes...
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: is it me?:
    no was bb, wouldn't have played em normally as not suited and far too many options to lose especially as full table of callers. take ur point Torry but i still find it hard to believe that anyone would call my 4 x bb after flop
    Posted by TVSpice
    I wouldnt recommend worrying too much over Q/10 being suited or not. Only adds 3% or so to your hand value and Q high isnt the best of flushes to be in with.

Personally I rarely play Q/10 at all.

Without raising pre the J2 player prob felt you only had a pair of 2's or nothing, so ur bet on flop he could have down as a bluff. You raise 3x bb pre - then C bet on flop, he would prob put you on a pair of Queens at the least and MAY have dropped hishand. Unlukcy :)
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: is it me? : I wouldnt recommend worrying too much over Q/10 being suited or not. Only adds 3% or so to your hand value and Q high isnt the best of flushes to be in with. Personally I rarely play Q/10 at all. Without raising pre the J2 player prob felt you only had a pair of 2's or nothing, so ur bet on flop he could have down as a bluff. You raise 3x bb pre - then C bet on flop, he would prob put you on a pair of Queens at the least and MAY have dropped hishand. Unlukcy :)
    Posted by Grimstar30
    totally agree with u, but could fold as was big blind and every other player on table had called the blinds so to raise pre flop seemed daft as very good chance that i had at least a king or ace ahead of me.  guess unlucky it was just the bet with a j/2 in the first place that puzzled me, let alone calling my 4 x bb, think i am too tight on sometimes and too stupid on others
  • edited November 2009

Hi Miss Spice. (See, I remembered!).

You did nothing wrong. 100%.

If he (has to be Male, no Lady would make such a bad call.....) called a Q-T-2 flop bet with J-2, he'd probably call a Pre-Flop Raise, too. 

Some plays are just unfathomable. This was one such.

He will lose every night, guaranteed, if he plays that way, & 9 times out of 10, or whatever, he misses his third 2, but still Calls you, & you get the lot.
  • edited November 2009
    Don't worry - you did nothing wrong here at all - I'd look for the villain here and try and sit next to him every day
  • edited November 2009
    he called after hittin the flop. prob he wasent sure wether u had hit the flop. so he called yer  bet after the flop and got lucky........once the 2 come pairin the board maby id av bet 8 x the bb and not 12 but i dont think u done out wrong... just unlucky...............you dont say wether u raised pre flop with the q 10 ile asume you did....if you diddent put a raise in pre flop...in a sense this is wat happens..sum 1 gets lucky.......but without the preflop raise you bring it on yor self in a way even no there still got lucky.. g. l. in the future .....
  • edited November 2009
    dont think there is much wrong with your play here, and as for the villain, it is difficult to say without knowing all the facts.  These include how active you have been recently, stealing pots etc, and how much the villain saw you as defending your big blind.  That may lead the villain to make the initial call.  Once they get lucky and hit the set of 2's, they are going nowhere, so its just one of those hands that happen.

As said previously, most of the time you win a decent pot on that flop, so dont worry about it, and carry on in the same manner. Remeber, how others perceive you at the table will affect how they play against you in a hand, and how much respect they have for your bet.

Ray
  • edited November 2009
    dont think there is much wrong with your play here, and as for the villain, it is difficult to say without knowing all the facts.  These include how active you have been recently, stealing pots etc, and how much the villain saw you as defending your big blind.  That may lead the villain to make the initial call.  Once they get lucky and hit the set of 2's, they are going nowhere, so its just one of those hands that happen. As said previously, most of the time you win a decent pot on that flop, so dont worry about it, and carry on in the same manner. Remeber, how others perceive you at the table will affect how they play against you in a hand, and how much respect they have for your bet. Ray
    Posted by Buistyboy
    Good point on the table image Buisty. I remember learning this lesson. A guy calls a big pre-flop raise from me. he's out of position. He calls another bet on the flop and then moves me in. I fold and he shows. he caught his trips on the turn with a 7 4os starting hand.

His response to my question on how could he call with it pre flop ???? "Because it was YOU" flashes up in the chat box. Ahh the realisation of just how aggresive with junk i had been lol
  • edited November 2009
    One point.. did you raise pre with q/10?  If you did not then that let in some garbage
    Posted by Grimstar30
    why would anyone raise with q10?
  • edited November 2009
    dont think there is much wrong with your play here, and as for the villain, it is difficult to say without knowing all the facts.  These include how active you have been recently, stealing pots etc, and how much the villain saw you as defending your big blind.  That may lead the villain to make the initial call.  Once they get lucky and hit the set of 2's, they are going nowhere, so its just one of those hands that happen. As said previously, most of the time you win a decent pot on that flop, so dont worry about it, and carry on in the same manner. Remeber, how others perceive you at the table will affect how they play against you in a hand, and how much respect they have for your bet. Ray
    Posted by Buistyboy
    early in the game and probably the first hand i had played - folded other bb or sb.  i am quite a tight player as a rule (sometimes do think i should be a bit looser on occasions but am not a great bluffer!)  Blinds therefore were quite small and game a deepstack - 30/60 if memory serves me correctly  - so not a lot to fold on and not a lot to gain by bluffing for rest of tables calls to my position.

thanks everyone for comments tho, do feel better as a result of reading them cos sometimes u doubt ur own sanity at times!!
  • edited November 2009
    don't think you did anythin wrong. seen this happen and had it happen to me in MTT. Found only thing is all in. real risky and not a strategy I like as it takes out a large part of the fun and skill from the game.
  • edited November 2009
    meryl streep dont be daft your are tops.

i always believe when this happens to players ,

check www.sharkscope.com for that players name who got very very lucky ,

you will see he/she is a big loser overall .

so the cash will comeback to you .
  • edited November 2009
    you did nothing wrong at all here imo,simply got unlucky.
  • edited November 2009
    when the  other  2  came  on the turn  the  alarm   bells  should  had  started  ringing  tv  spice
  • edited November 2009
    I agree. You done nothing wrong and just got unlucky.
    I have seen some card that players call with and J 2 is a monster compared to some.
  • edited November 2009
    I agree. You done nothing wrong and just got unlucky. I have seen some card that players call with and J 2 is a monster compared to some.
    Posted by apollo_11
    Ha Ha - true enough.  I went on to play the £5.50 Deepie.  Had pocket j's, got raised very heavily with 9/7/4 (no possibility of a flush at this stage) on the table only for the guy to then turn over 3/2 off!  Fortunately for me, I didn't back off so took the pot but I do remember thinking that he must be richer than me if he can afford to throw away £5.50 in this cavalier manner!!!
  • edited November 2009
    you won the hand so you were clearly right.