You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

THE ORFORD TIMED TOURNEY CHALLENGE- THIS WEEK'S WINNER: IDONKCALLU

Comments

• edited August 2012
    second effort got me 142 roi but wont match trevs or my previous

• edited August 2012
    POKERTREV7937.509£19.84
    £5.50 entry

ROI = 260.72%

not quite up to kirbs standat at mo but getting there :)
  • edited August 2012
    ok here goes
    15 min timed started at 2040
    buy in 5.50
    cashed for 23.76 for 4th place
    ROI 332%

would have been more i think but lost connection for last 5 mins
  • edited August 2012
    Getting better!

Picked up £8 in the £5.50 15 minute 8.40pm for an ROI for 45%

• edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: THE ORFORD TIMED TOURNEY CHALLENGE- ON TONIGHT WEDNESDAY AUGUST 22ND- 7PM TILL MIDNIGHT:
    ok here goes 15 min timed started at 2040 buy in 5.50 cashed for 23.76 for 4th place ROI 332% would have been more i think but lost connection for last 5 mins
    Posted by kirbsuk83
    Nice one kirb, carving it up at the mo!
  • edited August 2012
    another one 9th for 19.12 in the 2110 15 min
    buy in 5.50
    cashed for 19.12
    ROI = 247.63
  • edited August 2012
    forgot it was wed lol registered for the 9.55pm so hope to catch up 
  • edited August 2012
    Hey Rich,

It's 'jamwa' ("no Tikay, not Jamiroquai!"). I know I'm not on the right thread. I just wanted to say thanks to you and Tikay for the analysis of my play yesterday and the entry to the Bounty Hunter tomorrow, I'm looking forward to it :)

Meanwhile, I thought I'd get in a bit more practice at the 6-max format so I entered the Main tonight too. I took on board what you said about bet sizing and keeping my foot on the gas. It turns out that that tweak to my game has made all the difference; I'm currently 4/117 :)
    I'm sure there will be another hurdle along the way, but hopefully I can tackle them just as well as I have the issues highlighted on yesterday's show.

Thanks for all the help.
  • edited August 2012
    £5.50 30mins at 9:20...

WWFCBlue122256£30.56

£25.06 profit, so a 456% ROI.
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: THE ORFORD TIMED TOURNEY CHALLENGE- ON TONIGHT WEDNESDAY AUGUST 22ND- 7PM TILL MIDNIGHT:
    £5.50 30mins at 9:20... WWFCBlue 12225 6 £30.56 £25.06 profit, so a 456% ROI.
    Posted by WWFCBlue

Wow! Impressive stuff WWFCBlue- good first time post on this thread.

You're now leading and if you can hold on for another couple of hours, you're playing for free in tomorrow night's Sky Sports Bounty Hunter!
  • edited August 2012
    forgot it was wed lol registered for the 9.55pm so hope to catch up 
    Posted by liamboi11
    Ok mate- good luck!
  • edited August 2012
    Hey Rich, It's 'jamwa' ("no Tikay, not Jamiroquai!"). I know I'm not on the right thread. I just wanted to say thanks to you and Tikay for the analysis of my play yesterday and the entry to the Bounty Hunter tomorrow, I'm looking forward to it :) Meanwhile, I thought I'd get in a bit more practice at the 6-max format so I entered the Main tonight too. I took on board what you said about bet sizing and keeping my foot on the gas. It turns out that that tweak to my game has made all the difference; I'm currently 4/117 :) I'm sure there will be another hurdle along the way, but hopefully I can tackle them just as well as I have the issues highlighted on yesterday's show. Thanks for all the help.
    Posted by jamwa
    Hi James, thanks for your message. Always nice to know that people are watching the show and appreciating the advice. Hope you run well in that free main event tomorrow. 

As for tonight, if that bet-sizing really has made the difference and you're now 4th, that's brilliant. Well chuffed. Hope you cash. Let me know on here how it goes!
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: THE ORFORD TIMED TOURNEY CHALLENGE- ON TONIGHT WEDNESDAY AUGUST 22ND- 7PM TILL MIDNIGHT : Wow! Impressive stuff WWFCBlue- good first time post on this thread. You're now leading and if you can hold on for another couple of hours, you're playing for free in tomorrow night's Sky Sports Bounty Hunter!
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    Cheers, only saw this thread today, and guessed my first attempt of -100% wouldn't quite make it...
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: THE ORFORD TIMED TOURNEY CHALLENGE- ON TONIGHT WEDNESDAY AUGUST 22ND- 7PM TILL MIDNIGHT : Cheers, only saw this thread today, and guessed my first attempt of -100% wouldn't quite make it...
    Posted by WWFCBlue
    Lol, you were correct. Your 2nd attempt, on the other hand, has an excellent chance.
  • edited August 2012
    well was smashing the one hour timed until a maniac started bluffing me off pots and then had A4
    flop lands A43 i shove and get called A10 pretty poor call i thought as it put his big stack on the line but alas he obviously lands a 10 on the river ... goodbye kirbs
  • edited August 2012
    Hi Richard,

Thanks for the reply. The bet sizing etc. did contribute hugely, I felt. I looked into it after the show and realised I'd gotten into the habit of clicking '1/2 pot' when making my bets on the flop. Not only does this smell of a continuation bet, but it probably gives 4 suited cards and two-way straights the correct odds to call. So the advice really helped.

Unfortunately it was not enough to keep me in the tournament. I finished on my worst played hand, which isn't great, I'd rather be bad beat. Virtually bluffing on all streets, straight into the big stack, who had the second nuts, failing to recognize and act upon my opponent's strong resistance was a sign it wasn't going to end well. Looking on the bright side, it's helped highlight another flaw in my game - getting too attached to a hand. My mind became obsessed with the idea that I was going to make the big stack fold after firing 3 bullets, despite how good their hand was. It's probably going to be effective persistence some of the time and 'car crash' failure the rest of the time. I feel that finding the correct balance of aggression here would make me a much better player. The only question is, 'how do I find that balance?'... I'll have to think about that one. Any advice or recommended books on poker psychology would be appreciated. 

Regardless of those shortfalls it's early days, and 60/226 is definitely a step in the right direction. Let's hope I can better that tomorrow! 
  • edited August 2012
    Was looking at a ROI of about 280% in the last £3.30 TT and on the last hand was dealt AQ, another big stack shoved all in and I thought do I fold, collect a guranteed profit or do I call and if I win the hand lock up an ROI of about 700% and a chance to win this week's challenge...

....I called and their 99 held up! Such is life....good luck to whoever ends up winning!
  • edited August 2012
    Cashed for £36.70 in 10pm one but dont think thats enough to take the lead.

Just gonna turn into madmax in this 11.05 one :)
  • edited August 2012
    Good result for me in the 10pm- £31 off an £11 buy-in finishing 11th/63

ROI=182%

Now in the new 11.05pm 30 minuter!
  • edited August 2012
    Hi Richard, Thanks for the reply. The bet sizing etc. did contribute hugely, I felt. I looked into it after the show and realised I'd gotten into the habit of clicking '1/2 pot' when making my bets on the flop. Not only does this smell of a continuation bet, but it probably gives 4 suited cards and two-way straights the correct odds to call. So the advice really helped. Unfortunately it was not enough to keep me in the tournament. I finished on my worst played hand, which isn't great, I'd rather be bad beat. Virtually bluffing on all streets, straight into the big stack, who had the second nuts, failing to recognize and act upon my opponent's strong resistance was a sign it wasn't going to end well. Looking on the bright side, it's helped highlight another flaw in my game - getting too attached to a hand. My mind became obsessed with the idea that I was going to make the big stack fold after firing 3 bullets, despite how good their hand was. It's probably going to be effective persistence some of the time and 'car crash' failure the rest of the time. I feel that finding the correct balance of aggression here would make me a much better player. The only question is, 'how do I find that balance?'... I'll have to think about that one. Any advice or recommended books on poker psychology would be appreciated.  Regardless of those shortfalls it's early days, and 60/226 is definitely a step in the right direction. Let's hope I can better that tomorrow! 
    Posted by jamwa

Onwards and upwards, James. At last you've got a free shot at the main event tomorrow!

As for books- it might not be a technical textbook, but Gus Hansen's Every Hand Revealed is absolutely brilliant. Entertaining and educational. Weel worth a look.

• edited August 2012
    Was looking at a ROI of about 280% in the last £3.30 TT and on the last hand was dealt AQ, another big stack shoved all in and I thought do I fold, collect a guranteed profit or do I call and if I win the hand lock up an ROI of about 700% and a chance to win this week's challenge... ....I called and their 99 held up! Such is life....good luck to whoever ends up winning!
    Posted by Brrrrrrr
    Unlucky Brrrr- I think that was probably worth the gamble with the extra value of that £33 seat in the mix. And you were 50/50 too so it was a good call. Unlucky on this occasion :-)
  • edited August 2012
    Cashed for £36.70 in 10pm one but dont think thats enough to take the lead. Just gonna turn into madmax in this 11.05 one :)
    Posted by _ARAZI_
    Good luck, MadMax!
  • edited August 2012
    *keeps refreshing this thread for when someone posts a better ROI at 11:59...*
  • edited August 2012
    Cashed for £29.25 in the 11.05 tourney.

Someone will have to work out the roi but i know im just short of the leader at the mo.

I played more like max bygraves than madmax in that one :)
  • edited August 2012
    Played like madmax in the 11.40 one and wish id played like max bygraves lol

WD to the winner this week and gl in the bh tomorrow night.
  • edited August 2012
    So, that's you lot for this week.

It's a big up to WWFCBlue who posted a very impressive 456%.

Well done mate, your name will appear automatically in the tournament lobby of tomorrow night's 8pm main event at soe time duirng tomorrow morning.

Thanks to everyone who played and posted this week.

Next week I'm not around on Wednesday night so we'll do it on Monday. Look out for the thread during the day.

Cheers!
  • edited August 2012
    So, that's you lot for this week. It's a big up to  WWFCBlue  who posted a very impressive 456%. Well done mate, your name will appear automatically in the tournament lobby of tomorrow night's 8pm main event at soe time duirng tomorrow morning. Thanks to everyone who played and posted this week. Next week I'm not around on Wednesday night so we'll do it on Monday. Look out for the thread during the day. Cheers!
    Posted by RICHORFORD
    Cheers Rich, will definitely try to match it next week!
  • edited August 2012
    Hi all,

This week the challenge is on tonight- Monday- as I'm not around Wednesday.

Could be a quiet one as a result as the regulars might be doing other things on a Monday, plus it's a bank holiday.

So, a chance to steal an easy main event seat this week?

The challenge begins at 7pm- there's a timed tourney kicking off at 7.05pm which is the first one that will count. Read the opening post for all the details and don't worry about doing the calculations for ROI, I'll do it for you.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
  • edited August 2012
    I don't often get chance to play on a Monday so am doing the DTD and will have to give this one go in the £3.30 7.05pm timed tournie, Can't try the others cos I would have too many tables open for my laptop (and me) to cope with! I notice that if my AQ had help up on Wednesday Rich then the gamble would have paid off!
  • edited August 2012
    Nice 1 Rich, Im in the 7.05pm. Good luck all :)