You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Turneys 0 Cash Tables 1

edited November 2009 in Poker Chat
I have been doing okay on cash tables recently but my turney performance is appalling.  I think the problem I have is the aggression I use in the cash games does not transfer well in to turneys.  i.e. if I make a mistake, or suffer a bad beat in a cash game I can just reload but in turneys I am out.

Any you guys have the same problems or is it just me?

Comments

• edited November 2009
    cash  u  can   sit  and  wait  for  the  hands  to  come  to  u  t ourneys  different   game  see  as  many  flops  as  i  can  when  blinds  are  low    try   build    a  big stack  up  for  the latter  stages   of  the   tourney
  • edited November 2009
    im on your tables in tournys quite alot and from what ive seen there is nowt wrong with your game you are a tough oppo.maybe its just the unluck of the cards and as you know you will get a good run gl m8
  • edited November 2009

I don't doubt your aggression is right but you may want to tighten your range for tourneys. Less speculative calls than you may make in a cash game, Certainly in the early stages.

Some people like to double through or go out but i honestly wouldn't bother playing that much for the first 3 or even 4 levels.

Once the blinds are higher then your aggresion allows you to take pots down uncontested and even in marginal situations where you have got your table has seen you sit tight and only play premium for at least half hour so very likley to respect your bet.

3 betting later once you've sat tight may work well because again you've only shown premium to this point.

Basicaly it's ABC for the first few levels and leave the advanced play for later.

a good cliche "No Tournament is won in the first 4 levels but lots are lost" (Not mine but i can't remember who i'm plagerising lol)

• edited November 2009
    BIGSHANN sorry to hijack your thread with this but I've noticed you more than normal (during the day) and you're currently top of the poker league - have you started playing more/moved up stakes hence the extra points or am I just imagining it?

In response to the original post, I always think about ''cash for dough, tournaments for show'' so don't worry that your cash results aren't crossing over into tournaments at the moment because you're still being very successful - your aggression in cash helps to outplay your opponent more often than not whereas tournaments can become all-in fests pretty quick which negates your superior skill! Not very interesting but I'd just say keep sticking to your normal game and eventually your turn will come again and you'll start picking up some nice finishes...
  • edited November 2009
    i  could  do  with  some  luck  dav1964  could  not hit   a  cow  backside    with  a  frying  pan  lately
  • edited November 2009
    Perhaps you just need to pick your spots better and be more patient. Isolate players more pre-flop from position with a 3-bet then use that devestating aggression you've got against them? You obviously play higher stakes than me though so I'd take my advice with a pinch of salt haha.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Turneys 0 Cash Tables 1:
    i  could  do  with  some  luck  dav1964  could  not hit   a  cow  backside    with  a  frying  pan  lately
    Posted by scrumdown
    lol m8 n1 aint heard that one before loved it and gl
  • edited November 2009
    Thanks for your comments guys. 
    I'm sure I will take one down soon.
    Action-Dan pm me and will answer all your questions
  • edited November 2009
    I have managed to get to 2 final tables in the last two weeks and found the best way for me is to be conservative and don't be speculative. when I am speculative I usually bomb out.

I do however, struggle going from cash to tournaments in the same day as I am unable to change my style.
  • edited November 2009
    tournies often have one or two critical hands, if you lose those then you're done.

cash you can just keep reloading if you get outdrawn/find another table.
  • edited November 2009
    i'm the other way around tbh.Much prefer MTT/STT.I am not comfortable with real money sat in front of me :s
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Turneys 0 Cash Tables 1:
    I have been doing okay on cash tables recently but my turney performance is appalling.  I think the problem I have is the aggression I use in the cash games does not transfer well in to turneys.  i.e. if I make a mistake, or suffer a bad beat in a cash game I can just reload but in turneys I am out. Any you guys have the same problems or is it just me?
    Posted by BIGSHANN
    BIGSHANN I PLAYEY ON THE SAME TABLE AS YOU IN A DEEPSTACK MTT AND YOU WENT OUT EARLY.MTTs IS TOTALLY DIF FROM CASH TRY NEVER TO GO ALL IN EARLY BUILD YOUR STACK SLOWLY WAIT FOR PLAYERS TO MAKE MISTAKES.AGGRESSION IS STILL NEEDED BUT TRY NOT TO DO IT TO MUCH TO EARLY.I TRY TO GET TO THE FINAL TABLE WITHOUT EVER GOING ALL IN SO NO CHANCE OF ME GOING OUT BUT IF I CANT BUILD MY STACK IM FORCED TO MAKE PLAYS LATER ON IN MTT.
  • edited November 2009
    I am totally the oppisite to you at the moment struggling really badly on cash but seem to be doing well in MTT, i dont think there is a logical explanation but as long as you are winning most nights at one form of the game WHO CARES !!!

Good Luck (not that u need it) ps stop taking my cash !!!
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Turneys 0 Cash Tables 1:
    cash  u  can   sit  and  wait  for  the  hands  to  come  to  u  t ourneys  different   game  see  as  many  flops  as  i  can  when  blinds  are  low    try   build    a  big stack  up  for  the latter  stages   of  the   tourney
    Posted by scrumdown

Dont like this advice at all.

Play tight early on, its not that u dont want to see flops - its that you dont want your opponents to see flops. So when u get a hand, raise big and get max value. I doubt u need this advice if you're crushing the cash tables but imo fit/fold in early stages of a tournament is all that's needed.
  • edited November 2009
    I used to play tourneys exclusively, now it's other way round. Tournament poker is boring.
    I
  • edited November 2009

Im with u namesb0nd, gone over to MTT's now, pref the style of play.....
  • edited November 2009
    Thanks for all your comments.

Deadluck once again your spot on.  This is the approach I take on cash tables.  Tight/ Aggressive and its working so I should be playing same way in turneys. 
    I always seem to find myself getting involved to early with marginal hands and ending up short stacked and then it is very hard to back in. 
    Tonight Matthew I will be Tikay!   
  • edited November 2009
    I play the same way wherever I play, be it on cash, STT or MTT.
    I have the same success with my style so I don't see the point of changing it.
  • edited November 2009
    Deff nothing wrong wiv ur cash game, neva seen you in a tourny as rarely play them on here, stick to the cash, surely its easier money for you
  • edited November 2009
    Finally I've cashed in a turney!  Thanks all for your advice!
    I followed it to the letter, apart from one suckout v J Hartigan, and it got me to 3rd place.
    Hopefully the start to a run.