You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

MTT - 12bbs, 72, SB, Shove or Fold?

edited March 2012 in The Poker Clinic
This was a bounty hunter in the money last 26, I was about 22nd.

The 500/1000 level has also just started.

With the format is this an auto shove or too risky ?

Dudeskin8Small blind 500.00500.0011981.25
DoubleblowBig blind 1000.001500.0027592.50
 Your hole cards

DnTryMeFold    
STANNYBFold    
madmax40Fold    
johnhammerFold    
Dudeskin8

Comments

• edited March 2012
    Think it's a fold, you can wait one more orbit IMO.
  • edited March 2012
    Either/or for the reasons you know.

Depends simply on what we think of BB
  • edited March 2012
    To shove past 1 oppo you only need about 5 blinds, then increase it by the BB for each person. i.e shove the button then 6 blind, shove the cut-off 7 blinds. You have plenty of time
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to MTT - 12bbs, 72, SB, Shove or Fold?:
    This was a bounty hunter in the money last 26, I was about 22nd. The 500/1000 level has also just started. With the format is this an auto shove or too risky ? Dudeskin8 Small blind   500.00 500.00 11981.25 Doubleblow Big blind   1000.00 1500.00 27592.50   Your hole cards 7 2       DnTryMe Fold         STANNYB Fold         madmax40 Fold         johnhammer Fold         Dudeskin8
    Posted by Dudeskin8

What range of hands do you think the bb calls your shove with?

How big is the bounty on your head? How likely will he be paying attention to the bounty as an extra incentive to call.

Answer those questions and you can work out whether shoving pretty much any two is +ev or not.
  • edited March 2012
    I've got a question here related to this.

Most people here are saying fold, and yet I posted my exit hand in Thews @ Ten the other night and everyone said it was just standard. Both hands were SB v BB, both situations we had 12BB, both at similar stages of the tourney.

Obviously the main difference was I had KJoff and Dude has 72s but (the point I made in my thread), if I ever get my KJ shove called, I'm always gonna behind, and am likely to be dominated alot of the time. The only upside I see to my hand is that I have 2 overs to smaller pairs. But Dude is much more likely to be live (obviously in trouble against a PP over 7s).

So my question was, I'm not shoving for value as I never figure to be ahead and clearly Dude wouldn't be shoving for value, so why is mine standard and his a fold?
  • edited March 2012
    Compare the equity of 72 vs KJ when your opponent calls ai.
  • edited March 2012
    It comes down to what your goal is.  Are we playing poker?  Or waiting to find a hand with 12bbs?

Why wouldnt we want to get through one opponent to pick up the 1500 in there when we only have 11bbs to begin with (11400).

We are making a calculated risk.  Sigh... Beaheh sets out the technical terminology so I wont.  We  considor the range of hands that call us & what we perceive BB thinks of our shove in relation to those hands.  But he has to have a hand to begin with. 

Need to get used to being aggro in these spots ATC outcome regardless.  We can factor in a lot of issues,

Am not saying auto ship ATC (although personally my range is going to be super wide, unless bb is mahoosive station.), - as said initially - depends on what we think of BB.  But ultimately we are going to be needing to get it in real soon, plenty of arguments to say here is plenty fine
  • edited March 2012
    what beaneh said
  • edited March 2012
    I'm not disputing that you should get it in here, just the differing opinions between my situation and Dude's. As I said, KJ is clearly a better hand than 72, but once I'm called with KJ, I'm either gonna be miles behind to a big PP, flipping with a smaller PP, 40/60 with things like AQ, or completely dominated by hands like AK, AJ. The only hands I can possibly hope to get called by which I'm happy about are QJ and even then I struggle to see alot of players calling off 90% of his stack with QJ.

72 is in trouble against most pairs, especially those bigger than 7s, but is 40/60 against the rest of his range (short of possibly A7 and A2).

Really my only point is that when I get called with KJ, I'm virtually always in trouble, but it's still +EV because of all the folds I'll get, so surely 72s is also +EV for this reason, so I'm questioning the differing responses.

(I wasn't shoving KJ for value)
  • edited March 2012
    Haven't seen many hands with this guy and it's just after a break so have forgot loads a bit.

If it was before bubble I'd imagine he'd be calling pretty tight as most hang on for min-cash, now that everyone's cashed plus he covers me comfortably it's probably most pairs 44+, Aces from say A5+ maybe just all aces, K8+ again maybe lower, Q10+. 

Also I've been playing quite tight for the most part certainly not playing lots of hands so have a tight image, not sure if he picks that up though but it's summit lol.

Against the range I mention here I'm not good but I also fold out loads others I beat so surely shoving becomes more +EV plus the fact it's just one guy to get through.
  • edited March 2012
    KJ has significantly better equity v calling ranges than 72. Also 72 is worse than 40/60 v 2 overs
  • edited March 2012
    Also fwiw what general range is an auto shove here against an average player readless?
  • edited March 2012
    If I was this opponent and you shoved 12.5BB into my 28.5BB, I'd need a near-premium hand to call. I'd be happy to fold anything below AT or 77. I think most average players would have a tightish range too.

I think you can make a decent argument for either a shove or a fold to be honest. You can wait a few hands if you like but in my opinion we have an opportunity here. I wouldn't want to miss it.

EDIT: Read dependent, of course. Too often I've done this into a station who snap calls me with J4. lol
  • edited March 2012
    oppo probs call with 22+,A2s+,KTs+,QTs+,JTs,A2o+,KTo+,QTo+,JTo - like 28% w/72s

So we assume oppo fold 40% of the time (28.8% fold equity) ?
    if so then we have 56.8% total equity, so the shove is fine I think

agree/disagree - discuss

My figures may be off, not done it for a while :)

disclaimer: I may be totally off the mark here )
  • edited March 2012
    I can't imagine that an average player is ever calling off 40% of their stack with 22 or JT. I think that massively overestimates their calling range. Maybe I'm wrong... but I'm not. ;)
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: MTT - 12bbs, 72, SB, Shove or Fold?:
    I can't imagine that an average player is ever calling off 40% of their stack with 22 or JT. I think that massively overestimates their calling range. Maybe I'm wrong... but I'm not. ;)
    Posted by BorinLoner
    What do you think calling range is ?

dis TT+,AQs+,AQo+

whats our equity versus this range

and surely this decreases the percentage we are called, so we get folds 80% of the time ?
  • edited March 2012
    Well, as I say, my calling range is pretty tight in this spot. I want to be making bets and 3-bets, not calling off. I'd think that the average player would have a slightly wider calling range than me, but not worse than 66 or KT/KJ...
  • edited March 2012
    Well, as I say, my calling range is pretty tight in this spot. I want to be making bets and 3-bets, not calling off. I'd think that the average player would have a slightly wider calling range than me, but not worse than 66 or KT/KJ...
    Posted by BorinLoner
    If oppo has a tighter calling range then surely we get folds more often than if oppo has a wider calling range so therfore ie. makes playing for folds - all ok !

We only want folds more often
  • edited March 2012

Borin I think your suggested calling range is wayyyyyy too tight. 

I'm surprised because you play alot HU? You must be clued up on shallow call/shoving ranges?

Fold 77? really?

To op I would shove wide here, but not any 2 yet. Foldit. 

Any pair, Ace, suited Kings, some other broadways and high suited hands etc. 

• edited March 2012

I'd be folding usually from my experience in a BH, it doesn't matter if you have 11bbs and open shove into a guy with 28bb, I've been snap called by everything from A6o to 43s, 910s is the nuts to some of these people.

For that reason I'd rather be shoving Ax Kx Qx, any 2 broadways because you have better equity when called.

@ lambert you talk about how your KJ is not significantly better? have a think about it lad.
    You shove on BB, when you are called you can dominate some of his range, and are 50/50 against 22-1010, and have 3 outs vs JJ and QQ.

Now apply the same logic to 72, yes the chances of you being dominated by hands are probably limited to A7/A2, but in most cases you are a 35% dog to 2 overcards anyway and are crushed by 77+ and have 3 outs against 22-66.

---
       7,232,772,096  games     0.001 secs     7,232,772,096,000  games/sec

Board:
    Dead: 

equity  win  tie        pots won  pots tied 
    Hand 0:  46.656%   44.22%  02.44%      3198399696  176132120.00   { KJs, KJo }
    Hand 1:  53.344%   50.91%  02.44%      3682108160  176132120.00   { 22+, A7s+, K9s+, QTs+, J9s+, A7o+, K9o+, QTo+, JTo }

---

---
     506,841,984  games     0.050 secs    10,136,839,680  games/sec

Board:
    Dead: 

equity  win  tie        pots won  pots tied 
    Hand 0:  31.592%   31.12%  00.47%       157732671    2388670.00   { 7c2c }
    Hand 1:  68.408%   67.94%  00.47%       344331973    2388670.00   { 22+, A7s+, K9s+, QTs+, J9s+, A7o+, K9o+, QTo+, JTo }

---

Same calling ranges in both, results would be affected by the standard of the player in the BB though, but as you can see, 72 is significantly worse off when called.

This is a BH, probably a £2.30 one, the standard of play is usually poor, these players are not going to playing to the standard of the top MTT players of the site.

• edited March 2012
    Oh yeah, absolutely. I'm all for shoving in this spot. Cards don't matter to me here, I'm not expecting to be called and if I am called and knocked out I don't regret the move.
  • edited March 2012
    its suited, shove!
    nah got another 4 hands now until you hit the blinds again, just fold.
  • edited March 2012
    Borin I think your suggested calling range is wayyyyyy too tight.  I'm surprised because you play alot HU? You must be clued up on shallow call/shoving ranges? Fold 77? really? To op I would shove wide here, but not any 2 yet. Foldit.  Any pair, Ace, suited Kings, some other broadways and high suited hands etc. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    I didn't mean I'd fold 77: I'd fold 66 but call with 77... But yeah, I'm folding those hands.

If this ws HEads-up, it's different, but this is an MTT. I can fold these low pairs and weak Aces or Kings (I'd probably call with KQ) because I know that I can put the pressure on later by making the move myself. I don't want to be calling off what is a pretty deep stack late on in an MTT unless I have a big hand.
  • edited March 2012
    Borin I think your suggested calling range is wayyyyyy too tight.  I'm surprised because you play alot HU? You must be clued up on shallow call/shoving ranges? Fold 77? really? To op I would shove wide here, but not any 2 yet. Foldit.  Any pair, Ace, suited Kings, some other broadways and high suited hands etc. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    kinda agree as my first post, fold ATC here - play FTW not for the blinds )
    But yeah shoving Dohhh range is nice!

• edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: MTT - 12bbs, 72, SB, Shove or Fold? : I didn't mean I'd fold 77: I'd fold 66 but call with 77... But yeah, I'm folding those hands. If this ws HEads-up, it's different, but this is an MTT. I can fold these low pairs and weak Aces or Kings (I'd probably call with KQ) because I know that I can put the pressure on later by making the move myself. I don't want to be calling off what is a pretty deep stack late on in an MTT unless I have a big hand.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    if you had experience in playing these low buy ins BH's I think you wouldn't be underestimating villians calling ranges.
    I don't know maybe you do, but as I said there are some very loose calls in these types of tournaments.
  • edited March 2012
    As I say, I'm talking about the average player in the average tournament. Not a clue how these Bounty Hunters play, really. I think I've played two of them (Online) in my life. I'd consider that someone altering their calling range just because it's a bounty hunter is a below average player anyway.
  • edited March 2012
    In Response to Re: MTT - 12bbs, 72, SB, Shove or Fold? : I didn't mean I'd fold 77: I'd fold 66 but call with 77... But yeah, I'm folding those hands. If this ws HEads-up, it's different, but this is an MTT. I can fold these low pairs and weak Aces or Kings (I'd probably call with KQ) because I know that I can put the pressure on later by making the move myself. I don't want to be calling off what is a pretty deep stack late on in an MTT unless I have a big hand.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Why?

+ev is +ev innit?

Assuming we're within our roll.

You'd have to believe you have a huge edge to decline +ev spots in MTT's.

• edited March 2012

I'd decline +ev spots just because I think I can build my stack without taking the chance of calling it off. If I'm reasonably comfortable (28BB here) I can pick my spots a little more but I'm always trying to get my chips in first. I'd rather shove a 93o in the SB or button than call with a KJs in the BB against a SB shove. With 28BB I've also got a lovely 3-bet shoving stack against other relatively deep stacks.

If I was in this BB with A3 and you showed me that you'd shoved with 72, I think I'd still fold. I'd think my chances of winning the tournament would be better if I could get my chips in first in later hands, rather than call now as a marginal favourite.

(This is all assuming that the tournament isn't populated by sharks. Otherwise my edge isn't going to be big enough to justify my faith in being able to outplay the field. We are talking about "average" players after all.)

• edited March 2012
    Paddling uphill with the comments on +ev folds for fringe reasons there bud, have layed out the reasoning myself in the past to little point.  But in all honesty I suspect that our seemingly aligned reasons for this approach is likely flawed.  But i agree we dont have to be a slave to EV+ in certain spots.

Comes down to a purely personal thing that is best kept to self for most part.

Have scanned through these posts.  Dont think we can polarise calling ranges this tightly.  in blind on blind scenario dynamic/image is going to be a significant factor vs perceived range.