You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

mind sets

edited April 2012 in The Poker Clinic
(maybe in the wrong forum)  I am a recreational player , if there was a level below micro
that's the one I would play.  I dont mind losing what I deposit a month, as am just looking for a bit of fun.
Tonight I treated myself to a £10 tourney, with the intention of playing tight for the first 3/4 levels, then opening up my play.  When the play started I found myself getting dragged in to playing those hands you bet micro, 4/6  2 suited ect. Though this may sometimes be profitable  micro.  I soon  realised not  in a reasonably priced tourney, now the question ! Like the game it's self, how do you practice changing mindsets (if it's possible ), and saying that. is there a poker mindset you have to develop to play across discipines.
thanks in advance for all replies.

Comments

• edited April 2012
    wow wide Q.

I love sky.  But it doesnt favour S+G's which is what i would be looking at if i was you.  Super cheap MTT's.

As I do like sky maybe invest that £10 into super low dym's?

We can say we dont care if we lose, but only striving to win makes us better yes?

If we are locked into a table with 5 personalities we will learn more than a constant strwam of unknowns.
  • edited April 2012
    Yeah, big question and I don't really know where to start but I would say 46 suited is NOT a profitable hand at micro stakes cash.

MTTs are such high variance (you won't cash/win very often no matter how good you are), so if you're depoiting £10 to play a £10 tourney, you could easily do this 10+ times without cashing once, and no-one wants to throw away £100. How you play in the early stages of an MTT will be dependent on how many chips you start with and how fast the blind levels increase but I would not recomment playing 46 suited in the first level.

I would suggest playing very cheap Sit and Go's where you can learn tournament style strategy for cheap and get lots of experience quickly.
  • edited April 2012

I'm also a rec player but like to get value for my money.  I'd much prefer to play 9 x £1:10 Deepstacks for my £10 than one £10 tourney.   That said, you're correct that there is very different mindsets in every aspect of poker.  Not only mindsets but strategy as well.  It's only with practice that you will learn the different "mindsets". Not an expert but I'd recommend moving up the stakes slowly as your bankroll allows.  Even tho you can afford to lose your BR every month I've found that you will learn much more by trying to treat it seriously. I'd also watch a lot of games at a much higher level to see how they play in the hope that one day when you're in the Primo you'll have a better idea how it plays.   
    I notice you've been around for a couple of years so you possibly know this?