You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Do I need to pay off the river?

edited April 2012 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotalanceseteye21Small blind £0.10£0.10£20.83DaveCheshBig blind £0.20£0.30£25.32 Your hole cardsQA   TeamMoneyRaise £0.60£0.90£19.40jh16Raise £2.00£2.90£44.08SOFTLYFold    kevthekingFold    seteye21Fold    DaveCheshCall £1.80£4.70£23.52TeamMoneyCall £1.40£6.10£18.00Flop  4AJ   DaveCheshCheck    TeamMoneyCheck    jh16Check    Turn  J   DaveCheshBet £3.05£9.15£20.47TeamMoneyFold    jh16Call £3.05£12.20£41.03River  K   DaveCheshBet £6.10£18.30£14.3

Comments

• edited April 2012
    i would but i would have a tissue ready :-(

• edited April 2012
    Oh, HH did work!

Bit of a funny spot really...

Wasnt 3-betting excessively so cold call from sb got me thinking.
    Nice flop for me, but just thought that im either miles infront or miles behind and im never really going to get 3 streets from worse anyway, hence the check behing, and ofc disguises my hand...

Turn i felt was a nice card for me as AJ was miles infront anyway and was putting small blind on J's/Q's possibly 10's/AQ, thinking he would 4bet most of the time with anything bigger. He then leads with half pot, sort of rep'ing a J, didnt think he ever really has a J here, so a raise here is pointless, still thinking im ahead tho.

On the King river leads out again half pot which i was not a fan of calling, but as I had under-repped my hand a lot on the flop sorta felt i had to.

Thinking about it i guess I was only beating Q's realistically by that point which would be a pretty weird line by him, with half pot again on the river.

Couple of Q's, good check behind on the flop, do i need to pay him off on the river???
  • edited April 2012
    Why are you checking the flop? Understandable against one player but not with what happened pre against two players, if you call the turn there i think you have to call the river but i think you should of bet the flop and turn yourself
  • edited April 2012
    Dont no why we are checking flop.  If oppo has an A we are losing soo much vl.

Hope one of them has a hand  to call a bet and start building a pot.

River idk tbh.  Just can not let cards come off for free online :p
  • edited April 2012
    i call river he betting does not look like trip jacks more like a flush draw thats missed the river might be Q 10 but not likely he also could have bare 4 but in my opionion i call the river bet and just hope im right its a flush draw he bet on turn
  • edited April 2012
    of course he could have QQ or 10 10 also
  • edited April 2012
    bet flop
    meh your hand is under repped but I don't see him doing this with any worse than you have, it might be a split pot but I'd fold
    depends on reads as well
  • edited April 2012
    Thanks for the posts, def some wise points there

well he showed up with pocket K's, almost like its just a weird bluff on the turn. then he obv fires again after he hits his miracle card.

But thats another reason to check back to give Q's K's false impression i didnt have an ace.

to break it down tho, i checked behind becuase there were no draws, apart from a gutshot possibly, on the board and could have easily been check raised if one of them has J's AJ. In a 3bet pot is QJ, KJ (in original raiser's range) really going to call a 4 pound or so bet with an ace there? unlikely, is he gonna call the 3bet with A10 (maybe this is a situational variant, but i didnt have him doing that). So in many ways i would be betting the flop to simply protect my hand, gonna sound weird but not to get much value from worse. but as batkin said against 2 players might be a mistake long term, for example, giving pocket 10's 9's Q's etc an extra card to hit their set.

Think in this situation i'd sometimes be betting and sometimes not the flop tbh, thats just my thinking and maybe those hands ranges for my two opponents are quite small but i wouldve said that would be the case on their hands the majority of the time.

• edited April 2012

Hi,

Thank you for your post, if you would like us to feature this hand on the Poker Clinic show this Thursday, please post the hand id and which table its from.

All the best

TV Team

• edited April 2012
    Hi, even if its not from a tv icon table though? any chance it could still go on next thursay?!

Hand id: 500073143
    Table name: Blyth

thanks