You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What can I do?

I am getting very disheartened by recent events.  I try to  play a solid game, steady early on picking spots and playing good cards strongly.  I seem to get so far into a tournament, watching players play with all sorts of raggy cards while I fold and wait for decent cards.  When I get them I keep getting knocked out.  The last 13 tournaments I've played I went all in once with the worst hand and twice with flips, pairs against over cards.  The other 10 times I have been ahead, sometimes massively..... and lost the lot.  I expect to lose maybe 2 or 3 out of 10 but to get it in good and lose 100% is killing me.  Maybe I should start to get it in bad then when I lose at least I won't feel so demoralised.  If this is what is called variance then I don't like it and it should be banned.

Comments

• edited April 2012
    +1 for me-see Hells bells above for my "accident"
  • edited April 2012
    If you're playing solely MTT's then the variance you experiance is always going to be pretty high as you often need to win a few flips, have your AK v AQ hold, even AA v JJ hold which doesn't always happen.

If you can't handle losing in these (fairly standard) spots then maybe you should try cash or STT's where there is less variance. ;)
  • edited April 2012
    I think the curse may have been lifted.  Won an £11 buy-in £500 BH last night with 105 entrants and got £230.  Got pocket aces four times and they held up three times.  Happy days.
  • edited April 2012
    AA 4 times very nice.
    As original post states you have got pretty deep on a regular occassion and you lose when getting it in ahead that is pretty standard for any good MTT player. As painful as it may seem when it happens and trust me i know you need to remember the hands that got you to the stage you where at. Alot of the time you may win 2or  3 or sometimes more all in flips before you get the exit hand (Whether your the one all in or opponent is your still winning flips) If you went back through the 13 tournaments you went out in and take out all the hands your involved in when you are all in or the villain is you will probably find times you get lucky and alot of times you win big chip amounts. Getting it in 13 times and being ahead and losing is painful but shows your a decent player and playing a good MTT game.
    For the record i played for 3 hours last night in the main event and was ready to take it down when i shoved AK in the small blind in a limped pot (Over 20 bb's) And got called by A9 first card down is a 9 it hurt but i know i played it the best way it could of been played at that point against them players I just got very unlucky.
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: What can I do?:
    AA 4 times very nice. As original post states you have got pretty deep on a regular occassion and you lose when getting it in ahead that is pretty standard for any good MTT player. As painful as it may seem when it happens and trust me i know you need to remember the hands that got you to the stage you where at. Alot of the time you may win 2or  3 or sometimes more all in flips before you get the exit hand (Whether your the one all in or opponent is your still winning flips) If you went back through the 13 tournaments you went out in and take out all the hands your involved in when you are all in or the villain is you will probably find times you get lucky and alot of times you win big chip amounts. Getting it in 13 times and being ahead and losing is painful but shows your a decent player and playing a good MTT game. For the record i played for 3 hours last night in the main event and was ready to take it down when i shoved AK in the small blind in a limped pot (Over 20 bb's) And got called by A9 first card down is a 9 it hurt but i know i played it the best way it could of been played at that point against them players I just got very unlucky.
    Posted by Batkin88
    What a great post. Well thought out and sensible advice. I struggle with the dreaded variance and truly admire players such as yourself who can deal with it so graciously. I am on a major downswing at the moment as my Sharkscope will attest to.lol. I am starting to come around to the thinking that if I make the right moves then eventually the preverbial wheel will turn and I'll start winning again. Best of luck to you both in future. Best wishes. Shaun the Villa fan in Bham
  • edited April 2012
    AA 4 times very nice. As original post states you have got pretty deep on a regular occassion and you lose when getting it in ahead that is pretty standard for any good MTT player. As painful as it may seem when it happens and trust me i know you need to remember the hands that got you to the stage you where at. Alot of the time you may win 2or  3 or sometimes more all in flips before you get the exit hand (Whether your the one all in or opponent is your still winning flips) If you went back through the 13 tournaments you went out in and take out all the hands your involved in when you are all in or the villain is you will probably find times you get lucky and alot of times you win big chip amounts. Getting it in 13 times and being ahead and losing is painful but shows your a decent player and playing a good MTT game. For the record i played for 3 hours last night in the main event and was ready to take it down when i shoved AK in the small blind in a limped pot (Over 20 bb's) And got called by A9 first card down is a 9 it hurt but i know i played it the best way it could of been played at that point against them players I just got very unlucky.
    Posted by Batkin88
    Thanks Batkin for the kind words and thoughtful post.  It does get you down but I guess you have to keep on playing the way you know is right.  I never criticise players for what they choose to play and when they get lucky you have to take it and move on.  Siometimes you just need to get the frustration off your chest.  All the best.
  • edited April 2012
    In Response to Re: What can I do? : What a great post. Well thought out and sensible advice. I struggle with the dreaded variance and truly admire players such as yourself who can deal with it so graciously. I am on a major downswing at the moment as my Sharkscope will attest to.lol. I am starting to come around to the thinking that if I make the right moves then eventually the preverbial wheel will turn and I'll start winning again. Best of luck to you both in future. Best wishes. Shaun the Villa fan in Bham
    Posted by shaun84
    Hi shaun.  Makes a change to get thoughtful and positive posts instead of people telling you to stop moaning and improve your game.  I have played for many months with a small bankroll and kept going with the odd win here and there.  The bad beats are hard to take when they come along in bunches.  Keep your chin up and I hope your luck changes.
  • edited April 2012
    This is happening to me very often 

my cards Are 8 10 clubs 
    Flop 8 2 10
    and other player goes all-in with A 7
    I Call 
    Turn A 
    River 7 
    Is this a scam coz im reading lots off comments and i think ppl think the same way .No Matter how well you play your cards, you always gonna get out-played.Are they poker hackers ???
    is this normal !!!!!!